Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Check your hives in dixie  (Read 5120 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Check your hives in dixie
« on: April 16, 2014, 05:15:17 pm »
Two rainy days and sure enough there was one hanging in the bushes today.  What kills me is that i went through all my hives saturday and there are only a few that i haven't split in the last couple of weeks and they didn't have queen cells.  I'm guessing one of my most recent splits decided to show me that i'm not their master.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:58:25 pm by 10framer »

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Check your hives in dixie
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 05:47:41 pm »
Send them back to school. 

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 06:59:24 pm »
Allen, the hive i stole my cell builders from just schooled me.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:21:06 pm »
Rob, what was your high today? Ours was around 63.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:27:04 pm »
i never saw it above 61 on my truck thermometer.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 01:59:49 am »
It may have been someone else's hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:06:44 am »
When you find the school let me know ..... I need to send my bees...... the one I split three ways swarmed anyway......another odd year already??? And as of last Friday no white wax gotta check tommorrow if possible.
John 3:16

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 09:32:51 am »
jim, if that's the case it's the second one in two weeks.  i went through the hives that hadn't been split and either found the queen or found several frame s of eggs and no swarm cells.  i gave them a frame of brood so i should get a look at the queen today. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 11:38:46 pm »
Jim, if that's the case it's the second one in two weeks.  i went through the hives that hadn't been split and either found the queen or found several frame s of eggs and no swarm cells.  i gave them a frame of brood so i should get a look at the queen today. 
Sounds like they came from another apiary. I have seen swarms move in to my traps from outside of mine also.
Ask your inspector, as to how many apiary's are close by. He probably won't say where they are but will probably tell you how many.
I have 5 within 2 miles by the way the bee flies. :-D
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 10:15:31 am »
i've got about 20 hives less than 3 miles from me and he doesn't manage them, he just likes having bees.  i'm told there are some bee trees between his bees and mine (if he's been letting them swarm for ten years i'm sure that's true). 
georgia only requires beekeepers to register and be inspected if they sell bees.  there could be a lot of backyard beekeepers around.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 11:11:24 am »
i've got about 20 hives less than 3 miles from me and he doesn't manage them, he just likes having bees.  i'm told there are some bee trees between his bees and mine (if he's been letting them swarm for ten years i'm sure that's true). 

Actually that sounds good for you.
John 3:16

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 11:20:42 am »
i agree.  ten free years of natural selection.  he keeps the hives one deep and one medium tall year round.  they probably swarm a couple of times a year each.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 12:48:45 pm »
i agree.  ten free years of natural selection.  he keeps the hives one deep and one medium tall year round.  they probably swarm a couple of times a year each.
You can't beat that. get the swarm traps out all over the place.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 04:05:36 pm »
jim, i'm doing good to keep up with production equipment right now.  i'm almost finished with my building and have maybe a 3rd of my planting done.  i'm also finally writing contracts on a big sale i've been working on for 6 months at my real job.  hopefully i'll stay in front of them this year then next winter i'll be able to build some traps for the easy pickings.   

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 12:04:16 am »
jim, i'm doing good to keep up with production equipment right now.  i'm almost finished with my building and have maybe a 3rd of my planting done.  i'm also finally writing contracts on a big sale i've been working on for 6 months at my real job.  hopefully i'll stay in front of them this year then next winter i'll be able to build some traps for the easy pickings.   
You sound like me. It is one job/project after another. I had an XO who repeatedly said " those that do do more"
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 12:36:56 am »
jim, i think it's adult a.d.d.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 05:57:49 am »
jim, i think it's adult a.d.d.

I know how it feels. Seems I'm always having something that needs doing.
Later,
Ray

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 07:25:14 am »
A.D.D. It might be.
It is how I keep depression away.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 10:00:03 am »
With all this rain and cool weather this week coupled with a good spring build up they will be in the trees again as soon as the rain stops.

steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 10:15:51 am »
i'm heading to farm shortly steve.  i'm out of bottom boards but i've got some 10 frame boards i just need to put together and some wood to build 5 frame boards out of.  that's my first project for the day.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 10:16:59 am »
A.D.D. It might be.
It is how I keep depression away.
Jim
probably a little o.c.d. in the mix too. 

anything