Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Should I be feeding?  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Willy

• New Bee
Should I be feeding?
« on: February 15, 2014, 11:20:07 pm »
Hi,

I've currently got two hives (one was split from the other back in November). I fed them for a few weeks after splitting  and both hives are going well  but we are experiencing fairly severe drought conditions.

I was thinking that I would need to start feeding again but when I went to inspect I've never seen the hives more active with bees loaded up with pollen. They have plenty of stores but are not building up at all, just seem to be maintaining.

The other thing is I've just put a second super on one hive hoping to split again before winter but because they've slowed up I'll probably be left with too many bees for one box and no where near enough for two.

Two questions-

1. Should I be feeding because of the drought conditions or does the amount of pollen coming into the hive mean that I dont need to?

2. Should I feed regardless to try and build bee numbers so I can fill the two boxes to go into winter or maybe split and go into winter with two full hives.( although this may not be an option in the dry conditions?)

Thanks

Willy

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
Re: Should I be feeding?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:10:56 am »
Feed 1/1 sugar syrup for brood rearing and make sure the queen is up to the job of laying eggs. Maybe the colony's stores are not enough so to jump start em, feed sugar.  :-D
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.