Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen......How long?  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Queen......How long?
« on: July 11, 2019, 09:33:30 pm »
Did a cut out today and got lucky. Caught the queen in a clip. I have her rubber banded onto a frame with some comb/brood. How long should I leave her caged like that?
Take a kid fishing !

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Queen......How long?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 09:44:31 pm »
I use one of these and release her immediately. I remove it when she has laid eggs and they become larva.

https://beezneedz.com/product/hvc-qeg/

Otherwise, I would say 2 to 3 days.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 10:08:24 pm »
Thanks iddee.  I don't have one of those. I think I'll get into them tomorrow and put a queen excluder on them. This queen was slim though and solid black on her backside.  I hope she cant get through it.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 10:19:07 pm »
Her thorax is what won't go through, and it doesn't slim down.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 11:00:27 pm »
Her thorax is what won't go through, and it doesn't slim down.

Plus, if she is staying in a queen clip, you should have the same results with the excluder as they are suppose to have the same size gaps. I always leave my cutout queen in the clip for a couple days, rubber-banded as you described. I have never had a problem. But there can always be exceptions to any rule. 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 11:01:53 pm »
iddee, i like your Queen Entrance Guard.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 11:04:39 pm »
Fishing-Nut, was this cutout any easier for you than the last one?

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 02:01:42 am »
Did a cut out today and got lucky. Caught the queen in a clip. I have her rubber banded onto a frame with some comb/brood. How long should I leave her caged like that?

Sorry I don't know the answer - but it's cool that you caught her! ... I see others do know the answer ... but just the same - nicely done!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 09:41:48 am »
Fishing-Nut, was this cutout any easier for you than the last one?
heck yeah. This was a breeze compared to the last one. I wish I could post up some pictures but it always says they are to large. Funny story though,  as I am looking for the queen there is a bee on my veil bugging the crap out of me and getting in my line of sight. Over and over again I try to blow that bee off so that I could see better......its the queen and that's where i caught her. Right on my face. Thank God I didnt blow her off into the grass.
Take a kid fishing !

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 10:39:28 am »
Fishingnut quote,
Over and over again I try to blow that bee off so that I could see better......its the queen and that's where i caught her. Right on my face. Thank God I didnt blow her off into the grass.

🤣
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 10:44:00 am »
Sawdustmaker that sounded a little weird didnt it? I like bees but not that much. 😁
Take a kid fishing !