Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dealing with propolis between frames  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
Dealing with propolis between frames
« on: June 19, 2012, 08:38:21 am »
At our last inspection, one of the hives has so much propolis between the frames, that it's hard to push them back together tightly.  I did keep them pushed tight together, just not tight enough for these bees.  Should I try to scrape it off or just push it as tightly as I can? 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Dealing with propolis between frames
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 09:17:43 am »
If you didnt scape it off this time it will be worse next

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 11:22:32 am »
I just run 9 frames in a 10 frame box(brood and super), try to evenly space them.  Good luck.

Joe

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:34:21 pm »
I actually run 8 frames in a 10 frame with 2 follower boards all pushed tight.  Breaking them apart is never a issue.   The bee's dont use the #1 & #10 frames anyway.  They will store honey in them but they seldom get to them when in cluster.     I started doing this one year when I ran short on drawn frames.  With less then 10% dead outs out of 50 colonies I think they overwinter better with is air gap on 2 sides.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 02:45:42 pm »
You must use 10 brood frame in 10 frame box. Otherwise part of cells become too long to lay.

If there is enough space to put frames into box, I cut with knife the extra resin off.
I can see which gap are too wide.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 11:30:05 pm »
I try and keep it scraped off. Once you get a system down it can go quickly. I use the bent end of the hive tool for this. I also carry a long perring knife in my tote and it works just as well.
Joe S.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 07:10:10 am »
I scrape off what's "excessive" - and that's purely a judgement call - and then push them together as tightly as I can.  Over time, the 10 frames that easily fit in the box when they were new get to be very snug.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 12:10:13 pm »
When you put frames back, allways tighten the frames that there is no gap where bees need to put resin.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 02:39:46 pm »
I actually run 8 frames in a 10 frame with 2 follower boards all pushed tight.  Breaking them apart is never a issue.   The bee's dont use the #1 & #10 frames anyway.  They will store honey in them but they seldom get to them when in cluster.     I started doing this one year when I ran short on drawn frames.  With less then 10% dead outs out of 50 colonies I think they overwinter better with is air gap on 2 sides.

But I use 9 frames with 2 follower boards all pushed tight.Been use follower boards for the last 30 years or so.I've owe lee use follower boards in the brood nets not in the honey supers.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:35:34 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 02:56:09 pm »
I actually run 8 frames in a 10 frame with 2 follower boards all pushed tight.  Breaking them apart is never a issue.   The bee's dont use the #1 & #10 frames anyway.  They will store honey in them but they seldom get to them when in cluster.     I started doing this one year when I ran short on drawn frames.  With less then 10% dead outs out of 50 colonies I think they overwinter better with is air gap on 2 sides.

But I use 9 frames with 2 follower boards all pushed tight.Been use follower boards for the last 30 years or so.I'v owe use follower boards in the brood nets not in the honey supers.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

Same here Jim.  Only the brood nest but with 8 instead of 9.  This leaves about 1/2 open on the outside.   On occasion I get a colony the burs this space up but this almost never happens.   I like the extra room when removing frames and the reduced weight of the hive body.   I hate the way 10 frames get so tight that the first out and last back in gets ripped up.   

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 06:22:30 pm »

I hate the way 10 frames get so tight that the first out and last back in gets ripped up.   

Is it easier to take  the resin off than hate all the time a miserable thing. :-D