Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first honey :)  (Read 1208 times)

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
My first honey :)
« on: July 16, 2020, 12:55:25 pm »
I am too proud and excited not to share.

I ended up using a deep super because last year the bees never moved into the medium super. This year by using a deep I was able to move a few frames up, which helped them move in. Also I think it helped with swarm prevention as there was lots of space in the brood chamber for laying in the new empty frames (last year i had a problem with repeated swarming).

Anyway. 6 deep frames were full and 4 I left them in there. I extracted 2.5 gallons (a friend came over with his extractor which helped a great deal). I think I will extract again at the end of August as the clover here seems to be everywhere this year.

My family uses a bit more than 1 gallon per year. I think I am set for Xmas presents to friends and family this year :)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: My first honey :)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 01:04:37 pm »
I am too proud and excited not to share.

I ended up using a deep super because last year the bees never moved into the medium super. This year by using a deep I was able to move a few frames up, which helped them move in. Also I think it helped with swarm prevention as there was lots of space in the brood chamber for laying in the new empty frames (last year i had a problem with repeated swarming).

Anyway. 6 deep frames were full and 4 I left them in there. I extracted 2.5 gallons (a friend came over with his extractor which helped a great deal). I think I will extract again at the end of August as the clover here seems to be everywhere this year.

My family uses a bit more than 1 gallon per year. I think I am set for Xmas presents to friends and family this year :)

Congratulations!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 01:25:35 pm »
Very nice. Congrats.

Offline Northernbeek

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 01:33:22 pm »
Awesome, I got about the same myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 03:04:22 pm »
Congratulations!  That is awesome!  There is nothing like that first harvest.  :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 09:52:14 pm »
The first harvest is always good gifts to give to friends and family.   :grin:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 09:07:30 am »
I think I will extract again at the end of August as the clover here seems to be everywhere this year.
Just a thought: They may consume 4 frames of honey raising winter bees in August.  Don't leave them short.  There may be enough goldenrod to get them through but that is a crap shoot.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 01:29:47 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion. My bees have always overwintered in 2 deeps (10 frame) but this the first time I harvested. The brood chamber felt much lighter so I expect most of their honey was in the super. I have not done a proper inspection in weeks but I plan to do one next week and see what the situation is. In September when I will remove the extra super I plan to leave them with the fullest frames of honey between all the ones I have. I definitely don?t want to leave them short.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 10:06:20 am »
Just keep this in mind:  It is hard to organize the hive they way they like it so give them time to undo or redo what you have done before winter.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it