Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Severe Thunderstorm knocked over 2 hives. Now what?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline snispel

• New Bee
Severe Thunderstorm knocked over 2 hives. Now what?
« on: July 10, 2020, 01:14:56 am »
So....SE Nebraska. Big storms last night. 70-90mph winds. I had 2 hives get knocked over. I fixed the broken pieces and flicked out what water I could. Put the hives back together. I couldn't find either queen, but both hives still had visible eggs and bees were covering those cells. My concern is that there were many bees that died. I think in one 8 frame box maybe only a softball-sized ball of bees. Am I right to assume I should add some bees to those hives? Anything else I should do? :/

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Re: Severe Thunderstorm knocked over 2 hives. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 01:31:05 am »
Yes.  Do nothing for some time.  A week.  Let the bees clean their house, to reorganize, and to recover from the event.  After a week go back looking for queens and fresh eggs.  Let your eyes at that time determine what to do next.  For now just let the bees bee. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 06:07:59 am »
As HP said.  the bees need to adjust the brood for the number of bees they have before you do anything. Also, look in the area for a swarm of bees. If the queen absconded, they may have gathered nearby.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 08:53:43 am »
If the queen absconded, they may have gathered nearby.
Yeah the question would be which hive, without looking.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 10:00:19 am »
If the swarm is found, the wait is revoked.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline snispel

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 12:33:21 am »
Thank you everyone for helping out.

I looked in the hives today and found both queens laying like crazy.

:)

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 08:22:24 am »
I had the same thing happen to me last month. It was about a week after the storm that I found them and they had already started building bridge comb between boxes. It was a mess but they are doing well now. They are very resourceful to say the least.