Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cleaning your Plastic frames.  (Read 3299 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Cleaning your Plastic frames.
« on: July 08, 2020, 12:04:59 am »
For you keepers who use plastic I have a wax reclamation question. When you pressure wash wax off your plastic, how are you set up to claim the removed pressure washed wax? Or, do you have a better way than pressure washing? Thanks.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Re: Cleaning your Plastic frames.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 07:00:49 am »
Scrape of what ever down to the embossed cell level and the rewax the frame, put it back in the hive.
Why pressure wash? Are you washing for your pleasure or for the bees, I don't think the bees care.

When bees swarm into a deserted hive what sort of pressure do they use?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 09:55:59 am »
Scrape of what ever down to the embossed cell level and the rewax the frame, put it back in the hive.
Why pressure wash? Are you washing for your pleasure or for the bees, I don't think the bees care.

When bees swarm into a deserted hive what sort of pressure do they use?

I like that answer. I have read where others finish cleaning their plastic by pressure washing. Thank you.

Modification
Oldbeavo, does this go for old brood frames as well?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:39:09 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 10:26:28 am »
ya, not sure what pressure washing does.   If you are worried about disease then soaking in lye solution is the better option.   The only time I pressure wash is after soaking HSC frames in lye to get the cocoons out of the cells.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 10:36:19 am »
ya, not sure what pressure washing does.   If you are worried about disease then soaking in lye solution is the better option.   The only time I pressure wash is after soaking HSC frames in lye to get the cocoons out of the cells.

Thanks RoBo I appreciate your reply. I have yet to have the need but surely I will eventually. Do you have a formula and guide or a (how to) to do this? 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 12:27:50 pm »
Thanks RoBo I appreciate your reply. I have yet to have the need but surely I will eventually. Do you have a formula and guide or a (how to) to do this?

It is very scientific and far too complicated to describe in words......but I'll try

I have a rubbermaid container that I can stand 11 fames into nicely with not a lot of additional space.   I add just the right amount of lye by eye(1/4 cup??) and fill it with cold water.   For the HSC frames I weigh them down with a big rock on top.  They like to float as the cells trap a lot of air.   I put the lid on the container to keep the critters out and give it a little wiggle every now and again if I remember to help the air escape the cells.   Usually an overnight is good enough, but some I leave in for many days because other priorities take my time.

I have a bunch of spring clamps tied to my wood shed and I remove the frames and hang them by the clamps.  Pressure was one side then flip them over and do the other side.

BTW, lye solution does a good job cleaning polystyrene as well. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 07:34:19 pm »
Ben
I just scape anything, brood, SHB attack, wax moth. Rewaxing just provides another surface to rebuild on. Do the bits under the wax matter?
I am aiming for function, saving time and mess rather than perfection.

Just a hint, if you do the lye solution, add the caustic to the water, not caustic first and add water.

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 10:57:42 pm »
I wouldn't have thought of lye. I scraped a few recently and decided something would have to give. Lot of work to get them halfway cleaned off. Since I had a small stack of new blanks, I left the old for the back burner.

Now I'm running short on frames and will have to buy some more or reclaim some old ones in the next few days. Sourwood has been blooming for a few days and will go for another 2-3 weeks (on years where it hits). The major comb building they will do on nature's dime will happen very soon. Thanks for the advice!   
 :cool:  :shocked:

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Cleaning your Plastic frames.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 12:34:43 am »
Lye?  Why lye? What does it do? Tell us the truth.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 11:55:04 am »

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 12:54:06 pm »
Well that seems to get the job done quite nicely!  Clean as a whistle.

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 04:42:44 pm »

:grin: :cheesy:
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 05:27:51 pm »

:grin: :cheesy:

That was witty of HP, I got a kick out of it also. 😁 Thanks for sharing you method and showing the results RoBo. Awesome!!

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 12:24:10 pm »
I see a clean frame.  However, still do not understand what specifically the lye does.
Does it completely dissolve beeswax? Is it soapy spicNspan for lubricating elbows? What/why.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 12:35:18 pm »
I see a clean frame.  However, still do not understand what specifically the lye does.
Does it completely dissolve beeswax? Is it soapy spicNspan for lubricating elbows? What/why.

It dissolves wax and propolis,  no elbow grease needed.   I use the pressure washer to blow the old cocoons out of the cells.   On poly hives I just rinse with water.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 12:51:25 pm »
Thanks RoBo, this is good stuff! I suppose the big outfits which have thousands of hives could do the same, just on a larger scale; bigger fashion, using large tanks to emerge their frames of plastic into? That is of course, they see this as a beneficial aid? Only they can know and the answer this. 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2020, 12:54:52 pm »
Time is money and I think it is more cost effective to buy new frames at wholesale pricing than it is to clean old frames.   Unfortunately nucs tend to be a means of getting rid of old frames for some large outifts.

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2020, 10:12:46 pm »
Where do you get your lye?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2020, 10:30:33 pm »
Where do you get your lye?

You can get sodium hydroxide on eBay and Amazon.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 11:46:24 pm »
I'm making the move over to plastic foundation starting this year and am wondering what the lye does to the wooden frames or do you pop the foundation out before soaking it.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 08:27:34 am »
The lye will not hurt the wood, but I am still a sceptic about super cleaning frames. Scrape only and rewax.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2020, 09:27:13 am »
I'm making the move over to plastic foundation starting this year and am wondering what the lye does to the wooden frames or do you pop the foundation out before soaking it.

Lye cleans the wood and potentially kills any disease that may be residing in the frames. It is a good method if you have the time and intent to restore them to use.   Personally I do not clean old wooded frames with lye because it is just not worth the time for me.   If they are really bad I just burn them, not worth getting a hive sick for a couple bucks,  otherwise I just ozone them and five them back.   

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2020, 08:53:51 pm »
I've only had one plastic frame, and the frames with plastic foundation I replace with wax.  I've been making the frame parts for years, so I may be biased.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.