Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive treatments  (Read 1480 times)

Offline orin

• New Bee
Hive treatments
« on: July 06, 2020, 02:05:57 pm »
What do you guys use to treat your hives and at what time of year do you typically use them? I currently use oav and formic pro and it seems to knock the mites down pretty good. I did try hopguard this year and i found it didnt work aswell as some people said it would

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Orin Hayes

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Hive treatments
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 04:58:35 pm »
I have used Mite Away Quick Strips/Formic Pro in both spring and fall with good success.  Some have complained about the risks of queens being superseded with formic products, but I've personally not had any problems with it.  I am planning on trying a mechanical mite trapping method this fall that is practiced in Germany, so we'll see how that goes.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline NCNate

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 10:23:23 pm »
This is my first year and I tried Formic Pro. Lost the queen in my best hive and really set them back. That won't happen again.
I'm set up now to use oxalic acid and plan on doing that in the fall.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 10:54:33 pm »
- OAV early spring before brooding.
- Apivar during prolific massive spring build-up period prior to splits and nuc builds.
- Nothing all summer.
- OAV at late summer, fall/winter.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 11:07:55 pm »
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline LawyerRick

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 09:21:49 am »
I have been using oxalic acid glycerin & water mixture on shop towels, per Randy Oliver.  Works great & lasts for 30 days.  Cheap, effective & easy to use---can't bet that.

Offline orin

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 09:58:26 am »
I have been using oxalic acid glycerin & water mixture on shop towels, per Randy Oliver.  Works great & lasts for 30 days.  Cheap, effective & easy to use---can't bet that.
Interesting can you use this with honey supers on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Orin Hayes

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 05:24:09 pm »

Lawyer Rick I would like to welcome you to Beemaster Sir.   Welcome and thank you for your post.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 12:44:25 am »
Lawyer Rick    Welcome  :happy:

I treat with nothing all year. :wink:

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 12:58:42 pm »
i use the same treatment as lawyer rick. according  to mr oliver the oxalic acid is one of the componets of natural honey and will not affect honey .

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 02:00:56 pm »
Hello and welcome Lawyer Rick.  Let me guess, what is your occupation?

Cheers

I use Oxalic acid vapor with a provap 110.  Treatments as HP texted:  winter broodless , then late July, August and early sept.  One gram of acid per 10 frame deep, honey super removed, entrance sealed with foam during treatment.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline LawyerRick

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 02:33:34 pm »
You can use the OA, glycerin & water mixture during a flow--just put the sponge or shop towel between brood boxes & you're ok leaving honey supers on.  Works loike a charm.  Thanks to Randy Oliver.