Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: If you had it to do all over....  (Read 4353 times)

Offline MikeCinWV

• New Bee
Re: If you had it to do all over....
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2020, 10:48:42 am »
I would not buy screened bottom boards and I would use all plastic acorn foundations.  Those are my two big regrets.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2020, 01:02:47 pm »
The one thing I would most defiantly change from the start is using plastic foundation instead of going foundation-less. Especially with the honey boxes. Brood, I am still foundation-less, But that may also change to plastic.
Due to manipulations they can get mixed.  Mixing always causes problems.

Excellent point Ace. That is why I said, "Brood, I am still foundation-less, But that may also change to plastic." Thanks for your encouragement. By your encouragement and the encouragement of other post here, I have just made the decision to go completely plastic next season with all new frames going into service, both brood and supers. There is nothing wrong with foundation-less and I have enjoyed the experience but is time for the plastic. lol 🙂
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2020, 03:59:04 pm »
Why do you need new frames?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2020, 04:23:44 pm »
Why do you need new frames?

Adding hives.  More bees, more equipment.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 06:02:17 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 07:28:52 pm »
MCWV - I would not buy screened bottom boards

Would you share your reason/s why?

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2020, 07:34:43 pm »
Actually I just realized one of the most important things for a complete start over would be to get all the equipment from the same supplier to maintain proper bee space. I've lost track on how many times I've needed to trim or shim a box to keep proper bee space in the hive.
  Plastic foundation is great to use but is harder to clean up when older. Wax foundation when old can be remelted and used for other purposes while old plastic foundation can be a problem to clean up in my experience.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2020, 10:23:38 pm »
Actually I just realized one of the most important things for a complete start over would be to get all the equipment from the same supplier to maintain proper bee space. I've lost track on how many times I've needed to trim or shim a box to keep proper bee space in the hive.
  Plastic foundation is great to use but is harder to clean up when older. Wax foundation when old can be remelted and used for other purposes while old plastic foundation can be a problem to clean up in my experience.

Beeboy when you say older plastic foundation can be harder to clean can you explain in more detail?  Can you describe the problems that you run into? I am assuming you are talking about brood comb, or are you referring to both brood and (used as honey comb)?

I remember HoneyPump asking a question here once, what is the best way to clean plastic, or how do you clean your foundations, or something to that effect. Your post along with Mr HPs old post has my eyebrows working. lol Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:42:42 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2020, 06:53:57 am »
The cost of plastic foundation almost makes cleaning not worth it. At $1.30 you don't have to spend much time on cleaning or its not worth it.
I am not sure how to define "old" for plastic foundation. We have some that would be over 12 years old and I am not thinking of replacing it.
Very old brood frames have very little wax in them and makes it not worth trying to get the little bit of wax out unless you can press it.
If I do replace a plastic brood frame, it is pop out the old one, boil up the frames, clean the grooves and pop back the new waxed plastic.

Back to the topic, if I had to do it again, we bought 200 full plastic frames early in out venture into BK'ing, pain in the uncapper and also bees tend to wax them to the bottom of other frames, makes supers hard to split.  Most of them are now in brood boxes.

Buy good quality smokers, price doesn't count if you light your smoker and 6 hours later is still going, only add fuel, no relighting.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2020, 12:14:30 pm »
When I said I have had problems with plastic foundation it's in the context of being reuseable after being cruded up from years of being used as brood foundation. I've found that the recesses in the plastic are almost impossible to clean out unless I let wax moths at them which I don't think is a good idea. I also hate the idea of putting more plastic in the trash by  swapping foundation out. I tried a pressure washer on some plastic foundation once which ended up being a comedy routine. I only have about two or three boxes with plastic foundation and it has gotten mixed in with my wax foundation frames with no issues with the bees.
     Guess it's just a personal preference, don't think the bees really care as long as a good layer of wax is applied to the plastic foundation when reused. I've had some plastic foundation outlive the wooden frames they are in so longevity isn't a problem. Moving over to plastic foundation wouldn't be too hard a job, just swap it out while culling out the older wax comb over the next few years. It's something I need to think about before placing my next foundation order. Since I'm replacing foundation anyways it would be an opportune time to do it.
      If I was to start all over again plastic foundation would be the way to go, it's easier to install in frames, stronger for extractions and impervious to wax moth damage.
Good thread, it made me think about some long term planning.       

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2020, 03:36:55 pm »
All eight frame mediums.  All natural comb or small cell.  Italian hive tool.  Hair clip queen catcher.  Marking pen.  Bee brush.  All top entrances.  Simple covers.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2020, 09:56:07 pm »
Michael. I knew you would say those things.