Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Central North Carolina - Normal for this region?  (Read 944 times)

Offline spafmagic

• House Bee
Central North Carolina - Normal for this region?
« on: January 15, 2020, 03:57:17 pm »
As of this post, it's mid January, 65 Degrees, and bees are pulling in pollen! Normal? if so, what the heck blooms at this time of year here?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Central North Carolina - Normal for this region?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 06:15:06 pm »
Normal, no, but it has happened before. Red Maple is putting out pollen. Dandelions are popping up. Probably a few others.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 08:05:21 pm »
Agree with ID.

My o my, look at the size of those pollen sacks, especially that close up pic, the sack is huge! Good for you! Enjoy the good times.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline ifixoldhouses

• House Bee
  • 2nd year bkpr 14 hives
    • BackyardBeesNC.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 08:58:15 pm »
My bees left the pollen feeders today, and went for the Maple pollen instead :smile: Winston-Salem
BackyardBeesNC.com

Offline spafmagic

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 10:55:33 pm »
My fear out of this, now... is the weather report shows that this Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday it will be in the 20's at night. Last time this scene played out..  my bees froze out with undehydrated nectar in the hive. I have a small heat pad atop of the screen bottom board cover for emergency temps.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 03:05:46 am by spafmagic »