BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Hive Placement

(1/2) > >>

Terri Yaki:
I have a spot that I'm eyeing up to park my hive(s). As previously discussed, it's on a knee wall with concrete pad to one side and grass to the other. I checked the sun's track and found a spot along that wall that looks pretty good. The only thing is, it is kind of close to a man door to my garage. Like within 10 feet of it. It's not the only man door but it is the only one on that end of the building. While it doesn't get much use, it does get some. I could face the hive(s) away from the door over onto the grass but I'd like to see what they toss out the front door. How much of a conflict would it bee to park the hive(s) there? Should I abandon that thought and park them elsewhere? If I move them up the wall away from the door, they'll lose their early morning sun.

Ben Framed:
I have tried placing hives in different positions simply for experimentation and learning purposes. Personally overall, I like placing mine to the South.

Phillip

The15thMember:
I guess it depends on how much is not much traffic.  If the path to and from the door crosses the bees' flight path, it's a little risky.  I doubt it would be a problem with a colony of really nice bees, but unfortunately bees aren't always nice.  :wink:  Basically, if it's only you who is going through this door at not regular intervals, I think its probably worth the risk.  But if other people have to use this door AND you happen to not have the world's nicest bees, there could be trouble.         

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: The15thMember on March 06, 2024, 11:12:15 am ---I guess it depends on how much is not much traffic.  If the path to and from the door crosses the bees' flight path, it's a little risky.  I doubt it would be a problem with a colony of really nice bees, but unfortunately bees aren't always nice.  :wink:  Basically, if it's only you who is going through this door at not regular intervals, I think its probably worth the risk.  But if other people have to use this door AND you happen to not have the world's nicest bees, there could be trouble.         

--- End quote ---

Good point in Terris' case..

Terri Yaki:
OK, thanks. I'll give it a go and see how it goes. If nothing else, I'll know better next time. :cool: I do have the means to move an entire hive if I need to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version