ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Small hive beetle in worm farms/ compost

(1/4) > >>

Lesgold:
Hi folks just thought I?d start the conversation in relation to small hive beetles feeding and breeding in compost bins or worm farms. I have had large numbers over the years breeding in my worm farms. This was a real concern and it was potentially a disaster waiting to happen. The problem started when I was feeding the worms large quantities of fruit and vegetables. The beetles loved the environment and bred at a rapid rate. Have any of you encountered this situation? I thought for awhile that the worm farms would have to go but a simple change in the diet solved the problem. I now feed the worms on horse manure, coffee grounds and wood chips. The beetle problem is now just confined to the bees.

Cheers

Les

Ben Framed:
Les I have heard that SHB 'love' decaying fruit. I have a question. Did the presence of SHB in your worm farm cause problems for the worms?

Phillip

Lesgold:
No problems for the worms. They just seemed to help break down the fruit. My issue was the huge number of beetles in the bins.

Jim134:
SHB love Cantaloupe and Watermelon.. That is half rotten.. Small high beetles do not need honeybees to survive.. The 1st SHB I  Ever seen.. Was in a grocery store.. On a Cantaloupe.. Maybe about 20 years ago... In Massachusetts..

BEE HAPPY  Jim134  😊

Acebird:
Could be another avenue how small hive beetle got north.  Maybe not just from southern hives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version