Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ivory-billed Woodpecker  (Read 600 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Ivory-billed Woodpecker
« on: September 09, 2022, 12:44:19 am »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 01:02:00 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Ivory-billed Woodpecker
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 12:16:51 pm »
I was a subscriber to Ranger Rick when I was a kid, and I remember in 2005 when that footage was taken that was potentially a sighting of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker.  I had never heard about the feather incident before watching this video, and I agree with the host that that is extremely compelling evidence.  I think there's a good chance there could be a small population of birds somewhere that has continued on, or perhaps is more recently extinct than we originally thought. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 10:35:23 pm »
Want to say yes, but with so many searching all these years there is not a lot of hope.

Another sad story involving the closely related Pileated Woodpecker. About twenty years ago took down a very large tulip poplar tree. Lightning struck, almost dead, plus we needed fire wood... Later that afternoon while putting every thing up far the day, the woodpeckers discovered there home was missing. Made a sound we had never heard before, or since. Fall so no nest with eggs (we looked) but we all still felt bad for days :cry:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 09:48:27 am »
William I would like to say yes too but.....  One can only hope more will be discovered.

Concerning your experience; No doubt you meant no harm, and your firewood search was honest and innocent. It was good it was Fall of the year. The woodpeckers had the rest of Fall and Winter to find a new home.

When my Mother was a child they had a similar experience with squirrels housed an unknown hollow of a tree. The squirrels had little ones. The kids made pets of the young squirrels until the young squirrels were old enough to be released.

Phillip

Want to say yes, but with so many searching all these years there is not a lot of hope.

Another sad story involving the closely related Pileated Woodpecker. About twenty years ago took down a very large tulip poplar tree. Lightning struck, almost dead, plus we needed fire wood... Later that afternoon while putting every thing up far the day, the woodpeckers discovered there home was missing. Made a sound we had never heard before, or since. Fall so no nest with eggs (we looked) but we all still felt bad for days :cry:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.