ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Broody Brains

<< < (2/8) > >>

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: BeeMaster2 on March 23, 2022, 09:59:41 am ---Most of our free range hens are sitting on a nest. One, Partridge, just hatched 9 out of 9 eggs on the 18 of March.  They are all still all alive. Pretty amazing considering there are 2 hawks right here all the time and we have lots of foxes and coyotes and raccoons.
The hawks have learned not to mess with the mother hens, they will go into full attack mode and put them on their back if the hawks are not careful. I have seen the hens fly straight into one as he was diving in to grab a chick and he ended on his back being attacked by the he hen.
Most of the hens have some jungle foul in them. They are fighters and that is why they survive and raise a lot of chicks.
Jim Altmiller

--- End quote ---
I told my sisters that story and they loved it!  Hawks are their nemesis! 

Acebird:
We started out buying chicks that were shipped through the mail and then latter replacements we bought 10-16 week old hens from Amish people.  They were just starting to lay.  At 6 bucks a hen this was a much better deal.  We lived in the city and were not allowed to have roosters.
Having a dog that won't attack the chickens will keep the hawks away.

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Acebird on March 24, 2022, 07:53:27 am ---Having a dog that won't attack the chickens will keep the hawks away.

--- End quote ---
We actually have 2 livestock guardian dogs, and we haven't had any hawk trouble since they have been full grown.  But the kids have never forgiven the hawks for the couple of chicken they killed before we got the dogs.  :shocked: :cheesy:

salvo:
Hi Folks, 15,

I just read this whole thread with a smile. :happy:

I see no mention in this thread of you having a rooster. Perhaps you have mentioned it in another post. Perhaps I missed it.

Sal

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: salvo on March 31, 2022, 01:33:40 pm ---Hi Folks, 15,

I just read this whole thread with a smile. :happy:

I see no mention in this thread of you having a rooster. Perhaps you have mentioned it in another post. Perhaps I missed it.

Sal

--- End quote ---
We actually have two roosters, Ronald, who is a golden-laced Wyandotte, and The Blessing (another one with a "the" name leftover from being a chick), who is a golden-laced Wyandotte/Rhode Island Red cross.  We have enough hens and the roosters' temperaments are such that they coexist fairly peacefully in the same pen.  They squabble occasionally, but it never turns into anything serious.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version