Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: magnet fishing?  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
magnet fishing?
« on: November 18, 2023, 11:35:04 am »
Has anyone tried this?  I have a place that is on a river and next to a reservoir.  I was thinking it would be fun to try, but I suspect I'd get a lot of fishing lures.   :grin:

The good magnets are kind of spendy, but over all it looks like a relatively inexpensive way to spend time in the outdoors.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: magnet fishing?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 02:37:22 pm »
I had to laugh about this because they were talking about doing this over the summer on the Dale Jr. Download, and the best thing they found was a metal broom handle.  :cheesy:  I think it's a cool idea, but I'd imagine like metal detecting, it might take some practice of knowing where to look for actually good stuff. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 03:39:47 pm »
I've heard about it a bit but never tried it and don't know anyone who has but it sounds like fun in the right spot. I think the right spot(s) are going to be near bridges or landings, where people can throw stuff over.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 04:15:34 pm »
Kathy,
I have a small fishing magnet that Judy bought me for my birthday several years ago. I use it to find tools that I have dropped in the pond. They do work. There are a lot of videos on YouTube that do it. If you find guns, which is commonly found in water near roads, 🐝 sure to call the police, most of them have been used and disposed of by criminals.
The bigger they are the better they are at finding things.
Mine is about two inches in diameter and one inch thick. You?re wasting your time with anything smaller. It can?t pick you real heavy objects.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2023, 04:18:05 pm »
It?s a pity that gold and silver are not magnetic. I?m sure that you could recover some interesting relics from some areas. Old rifles, pistols and knives come to mind.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023, 08:35:20 am »
Yes metal detectors detect everything.  Magnets are only attracted to iron.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2023, 08:38:44 am »
It?s a pity that gold and silver are not magnetic. I?m sure that you could recover some interesting relics from some areas. Old rifles, pistols and knives come to mind.
I feel that way about brass.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2023, 09:14:23 am »

Les I have 'not' tried magnetic fishing. I was sort of interested 'until' I watched a TV show as this being the theme of the subject. At the beginning it looked to be promising and interesting. As each article was found, (a pistol being one of those items), it became apparent that most articles recovered which 'might have at one time' been valuable, unfortunately were no more than relics of rust. No more than scrap iron in reality.  Bummer as far a value goes.. Treasure and perhaps a relic to another? Personally I would rather go to junk yard and wander through old wrecked vehicles which would be far more interesting to me, which would probably be absolutely boring to another... 

As far as gold and silver not being magnetic and unrecoverable for that method; There was also another American TV Show, "Bering Sea Gold", featuring three or four setups where the folks would dive with the proper equipment, and collect sediment from the bottom of the sea which was loaded with gold 'by the way the show portrayed it', and most of those in the show were successful..

Phillip

« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 10:31:33 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2023, 03:23:06 pm »
We get that show down under. From memory they were dredging the material off the bottom and then running material through a sluice to recover the gold. Dredging has been banned in Australia for quite a while now. I have spoken to a number of people who used to dredge and they did quite well cleaning out creeks etc. About 5 years ago sluices operated with power pumps were also banned in my state. We can now only use a river powered sluice or a gold pan to recover gold.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2023, 08:53:30 am »
and most of those in the show were successful..
Because that is what gets people to watch.
Another treasure hunting show was Storage Wars.  One of the characters was paid to get a boob job.  It is all BS.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2023, 09:16:37 am »
Another treasure hunting show was Storage Wars.  One of the characters was paid to get a boob job.  It is all BS.

You will find no rebuttal from me here Brian concerning TV shows and methods used to draw in viewers. Many things presented on TV are a waste of time...  :grin: 
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2023, 09:28:59 am »

You will find no rebuttal from me here Brian concerning TV shows and methods used to draw in viewers. Many things presented on TV are a waste of time...  :grin:
I like 'reality' TV and watch a good bit of it. I don't watch junk like American Pickers or Storage Wars because I suspect that their content is off the charts staged. But even shows like Gold Rush and Deadliest Catch, witch have a good dose of reality to them are embellished with drama and I never accept those emotional, dramatic scenes as natural. And if I watch something like a fishing show, I always wonder how many hours of footage it took to get that thirty minutes of show.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2023, 11:42:28 am »

I like 'reality' TV and watch a good bit of it. I don't watch junk like American Pickers or Storage Wars because I suspect that their content is off the charts staged. But even shows like Gold Rush and Deadliest Catch, witch have a good dose of reality to them are embellished with drama and I never accept those emotional, dramatic scenes as natural. And if I watch something like a fishing show, I always wonder how many hours of footage it took to get that thirty minutes of show.

Terri, we had a member of our family, (now deceased), who was the Representative of a Major Bass Boat Company located in Arkansas, who sponsored a Major Fishing Program back in the 70s' and 80s' Who was featured on one of the Major Nationally Televised big (3) TV stations each Saturday... Their show was pretty much on target, but if they had problems catching enough fish during the week to complete a show, they had a private lake loaded with the big boys. They would go there and do a little filming to fill in the gaps. (Dennis told this to me himself out of his own mouth! lol)

Thus "catch and release" was born !! I still get tickled sometimes when I see folks releasing those Big Hogs!! lol :wink: :grin:

Phillip

« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 12:39:38 pm by Ben Framed »