BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > NATURAL & ORGANIC BEEKEEPING METHODS

Planning for year two

<< < (5/8) > >>

charentejohn:
Yes, in the middle of nowhere.  I have neighbours but well away so no problem there, photo attached.
Re risk to neighbours of managed / unmanaged unless I guess you mean of hives just put in a garden and being unobserved suddenly causing a problem.

Mine may be unmanaged but tey are under constant surveilance  :smile:   I can see mine from the kichen door and regularly check them with binoculars, saves walking down there, every time I am passing. 
Two or three times a day I get up close to check pollen etc arriving, and ensure asian hornets are not too much of a problem.

Bob Wilson:
Looks like a beautiful place to keep bees.

charentejohn:
Attached is a photo from the kitchen door (binoculars observation point) showing the actual location, tried to make it a good all round spot.   In full sun as east facing, under shade of the trees from noon in summer and protected from SE winds and rain by trees and neighbour's high hedge.  They tend to go out east to forage but also curve back into the small stand of trees. 
I did this because of the bees in the photos who took up residence in a sealed bird roosting box, there constantly for 7 yrs.  Box of 16mm ply was on a west facing wall in full summer sun (40c) hence the sunshade in the photos, and -10c occasionally in winter.  Had to do running repairs as it was rotting away.  I noted the convoluted shape of the comb as the 30L ish box must have warranted it rather than the usual straight combs.  Looks like they ended up there and knew how to make it work for them despite not being ideal.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GmsnGhbwzWiqKfcz8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WKVtpai1btREBAxd8   

Bob Wilson:
I can see the appeal for them. It seems to be the size of a good swarm box... about one and a half deep box.
Great pictures.

charentejohn:
I am looking to build a box to put in nearby trees (on my land just behind the current hives) and think that is a good size, just thicker walls needed.
The photo showing it next to a warre box shows the interior, two shelves and some dowel perches.  Some birds prefer to huddle together hence the options.
Just shows they will work with most things.  We have a lot of trees but now that I think about it not really the rotten centred hive types so such would be scarce, some barn walls etc.  A local keeper has two in his house roof and one in his barn roof.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version