BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR YOUR BEES?

(1/8) > >>

beemaster:
It's been a while since I have had to buy bees and I had a case of STICKER SHOCK when I got the price of $72 for 3 pound packages with queen. That includes $9.33 a package shipping. Personally, I think I got ripped off - So that comes out to roughly $61 for the bees and queen, not marked or clipped, this supplier said he couldn't do either marking or clipping - he was "TOO SMALL" to do such things - well, his prices aren't too small, especially when he CAN NOT even offer such services as marking or clipping.

How much did you pay for your bees?

John
Beemaster

Anonymous:
John WHEW.
I am getting two 3 pound packages with queens for $93.00. they are coming from some place south and I will have to drive close to a hundred miles to pick them up at the bee supply place. It is Georbs in Onstead Michigan.
 :D Al

beemaster:
If they need to be shipped, why weren't they shipped to you? Couldn't the supplier in Mich. just take their cut and send you them right to your door???

I know I paid too much, but at least they came to me, I didn't have to drive to NYC or Phia. (both about 70 miles) to pick them up. Get them home and love them, these little girls must be gold plated these days - although I looked and must have missed the gold - lol.

John

Joe:
I paid $85.00 for three pounds of Russian hybrids.  That cost included the shipping.

Joe

forrestmk:
Beemaster, I think you got a good fair price in todays market. Not that I agree with it, it seem only 5 years ago when I got started I first paid 45.00
for a three pound package. Like last year I had a bad winter and had to replace 4 hives with new bees. For the hobbiest to put out $300.00 it will take 100lbs of honey to recover that pay out, not to count all the work and time involved. This is not a cheap hobby to be involved in. The intial lay out for bees and hive bodies isn't that much but it all adds up. I started 5 years ago and have spent near $2300.00 for all the equipment I have. I've given away more honey then I have sold. But I enjoy the bees very much, just wanted to warn some people out there that may have dreams of making lots of money with little money layout. Maybe if you live in an area that you can get 300lbs. honey per hive it can work, but in a residental area where I live there is not that kind of Honey flow. I'll be quite happy with 100lbs. per hive. Just my opion, Thanks

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version