Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: breaking my dogs from chasing my chickens  (Read 13146 times)

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
Re: breaking my dogs from chasing my chickens
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 11:30:52 pm »
these are hunting dogs and i don't really like shock collars either but the system i'm buying has a vibration and tone mode that i hope will actually be enough.  my neighbor has chickens and i don't need these dogs killing them.
i have a 5 foot chain link fence but the female digs out (one more reason for the collar).  i'm not a fan of penning dogs up like a lot of hunters do and only letting them out to hunt.  these dogs sleep inside and pretty much ride with me where ever i go.  i used to think shock collars were cruel but i'd rather give the dogs a couple of nicks than take away the freedom to roam now and then.  i'm on 44 acres way out in the country.
also, i like my chickens to be able to free range most of the day. 

Just be sure you follow the instructions. You will likely have to make them feel it, more than a tinge the first time or two, with a dedicated command. Then the tone. Once they get it the tone will do alone. After a while you can just put a small block of wood on the collar and they will think the training collar is still on. Im not sure the sequence, but be sure to research it. I had a friend ruin a couple rabbit dogs by not using the right sequence, but once he figured out the proper way to use the tool, it has become invaluable for dozens of dogs since. Good Luck. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 01:13:09 am »
well, my female took her morning run at about 6:15 tuesday and isn't back yet so i'm guessing someone else's chickens are in trouble.  when they find out she's gun shy maybe they'll bring her back.  too bad, she is the one with all the quick's champ blood in her.  she trees as hard as my male that's about two years old and she's only 10 months. 

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 09:12:48 am »
well, my female took her morning run at about 6:15 tuesday and isn't back yet so i'm guessing someone else's chickens are in trouble.  when they find out she's gun shy maybe they'll bring her back.  too bad, she is the one with all the quick's champ blood in her.  she trees as hard as my male that's about two years old and she's only 10 months. 

You may have already said and I may have missed it but what breed are they? G :chop:

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 10:50:16 am »
american treeing feist.  it's not really a breed but a standard, they're squirrel dogs.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 11:30:59 pm »
Yeah, we have the Mountain Fiest here. I love hunting behind those little dogs. Looks like Im gonna have to borrow a collar too. My gyp decided that a wide open run for 45 min tonite without the inkling of respect for a command was in order. In fairness, I havent given her as much time as I need to, but whoa and come are a must for me and she knows them. Just chose to ignore. Shes on the right in this picture. Llewellin Setter. If the Highway wasnt so close, I could break her at home, but I cant have that activity within 200yds of a major highway. G :chop:

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
  • I'm loving bees today. Interested in learning.
Re:
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 02:20:45 am »
What beauties.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
Re:
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 10:54:54 am »

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 10:43:02 pm »
graham, this dog is the grand daughter of quick's champ.  i'm sick about losing her. 
looks like you've got a lot of spaniel blood in those dogs. 

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
  • I'm loving bees today. Interested in learning.
Re:
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 01:56:07 am »
I'm sorry for your loss, 10framer. It's never easy losing a good dog.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 12:31:41 pm »
graham, this dog is the grand daughter of quick's champ.  i'm sick about losing her. 
looks like you've got a lot of spaniel blood in those dogs. 

Man Im sorry 10 framer to hear she hasnt returned. Nothing worse. I will be thinking of you my Friend. My dogs are out of the Awbonnies Bull side of the Llewellin line, he was said to be the greatest grouse dog that ever lived. Her Grandfather is Highway Dan. National Champion. Sorry again 10 Framer. G

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 02:11:56 pm »
she was spotted a few miles from here a couple of days ago but i haven't found her.  still got some hope on one of us finding the other.
her line has too much nose in them for me.  i'm sure she got on the trail of something besides a squirrel and got herself lost.  i had thought she may have been stolen because she's never ranged far from my place before this. 
usually i let them out in the morning and they are at the door in about ten minutes ready for breakfast but my male took off too and didn't come back until that night.  he generally checks back in in less than 30 minutes any time he's out.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 02:13:50 pm »
oh, i thought you were saying your dogs were feist.  a lot of people cross them with bird dogs around here but it's usually german short hairs. 

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2014, 10:05:55 am »
10 framer, I don't think it's easy to stop some dogs or breeds of dogs once they're in the habit of killing chickens.  I'm having all sorts of issues having just inherited another 6 dogs on top of my own to look after.  The cattle dog will always kill chickens around the back of the house but not the front, and any that fly in the yard.  Keeping her out of those areas is the only thing to work.  I'm trying to start young with her little pup as she's the spitting image with the same habits. She gets a little switch if she even looks at them.  She is trying to grab the tails now.
On top of that, in the past two days, 2 different dogs have found ways to jump two different fences.  The cattle dog is faithful and only jumps to be where I am.  But my own terror of a dog found her way out, and takes a lot of fuel and time to catch.  She is half kelpie and half border collie, so crazy two ways.  I have to ride the bike at 50kph till she wears out and lets me catch her.  The other day though, when she wearied, she went to the yard for a swim instead, revived, chased the weaners into the yard, back to the fence, over to the humpy and back, and I had to ride the bike for another half an hour to settle her.  She chases roos also, so I reckon I should run her with a lead on now and try not to give her a chance to stray.  I am seriously considering one of those zappy collars to discourage running the opposite way when I call.  She is good in a controlled situation, and will come on the end of a long rope, but she won't even sit when she's out in the paddock.  I understand the collars are not easy to use for this behaviour, but I have tried other things.
I don't like to keep dogs in cages or on chains, so I'm sure I will never end up with a well trained working dog.
Geoff, if you would like a working holiday erecting fences, I'll pay you in good queensland honey*  :)

By the way, 10 framer, the old crippled blind dog who has used more than 9 lives I reckon, made an amazing trip of 3 or 4 miles in the heat (over 100f) not long ago.  He was gone 10 days, then a neighbour found him in a gully with no water, an answer to prayer. He will become famous soon as his picture is going into a book of working dogs.

Lone

*Won a first prize at the show last week

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 12:18:27 pm »
she was spotted a few miles from here a couple of days ago but i haven't found her.  still got some hope on one of us finding the other.
her line has too much nose in them for me.  i'm sure she got on the trail of something besides a squirrel and got herself lost.  i had thought she may have been stolen because she's never ranged far from my place before this. 
usually i let them out in the morning and they are at the door in about ten minutes ready for breakfast but my male took off too and didn't come back until that night.  he generally checks back in in less than 30 minutes any time he's out.
Thats good that she has been spotted. Hopefully you will get her back. I dont know how old your male is but, Ive had older dogs lead off young ones it seems on purpose. I always work my young ones alone till I get Good Control. Good luck. Keep the faith. G

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 02:46:38 pm »
graham,
she's got the better nose of the two.  but she also tended to wander farther. 
without here around bo checks back in in less than 30 minutes when she was here they were staying out longer and longer the week before she took off.  my problem is i have very few squirrels on my place but a lot nearby.