Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wakefield Track & Field??  (Read 5446 times)

salvo

Wakefield Track & Field??
« on: February 15, 2019, 05:32:41 pm »
Hi Folks,

Twenty Feet!

Terrorist With a knife!

Cop with a Glock!

Double Tap!

Center mass!

Terrorist alive and kicking!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/bodycam-footage-shows-alleged-isis-tied-arizona-mans-confrontation-with-officer

Wakefield Track & Field?

Can I get me a 1911?

Sal

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Wakefield Track & Field??
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 07:44:18 pm »
My little .32 auto is all I need.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 11:20:18 pm »
?Sheriff, why do you carry a .45??

Because they don?t make a .46.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 03:17:34 pm »
Agreed - 1911 all day pls.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 05:00:28 pm »
Agreed - 1911 all day pls.

For everyday wear, yes, but here is another quote.

Sheriff, why are you carrying your pistol tonight?  Are you expecting trouble?

No ma?am.  If I expected trouble I would have brought my shotgun.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 10:15:03 am »
>?Sheriff, why do you carry a .45??
>Because they don?t make a .46.

Actually they make a lot of more powerful pistols as well as higher caliber (higher caliber does not necessarily mean more power...).  There is the .454 Cassull and the .500 SW and the .50 AE etc.

It's a variation on an old quote of a safari hunter when asked why he carried a .500 NE, he said because there isn't a .600 NE.  After that they came out with a .600 NE....

I like the quote Dallasbeek gave...  If I expected trouble I would have brought my shotgun.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 03:49:59 pm »
Mike, those larger calibers have been developedbsince Jeff Cooper came up with that quote I used (sorry, I failed to attribute it to Col. Cooper).

Actually, there comes a point when those larger calibers get to be uncomfortable.  Especially with a Smith.  I have had a crippled right hand for a day or two after firing 50 rounds through a friend's .44 magnum with some hot loads he had concocted.  I don't care how good your grip is, that Smith rocks back into the web between the thumb and index finger enough to start hurting after a while.  A 1911 in .45 acp or a .40 S&W in a Glock are about right for me, but a 9 mm is a lot more affordable for target shooting. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 04:52:19 pm »
That sounds like a Cooper rewrite of the old safari hunter.  I don't enjoy .357s in some of my guns.  My hand gets bruised after six rounds.  I have never been foolish enough (brave enough?) to shoot my son's .454 Cassul.  It's painful just watching him shoot it, not to mention, even with ear muffs and ear plugs, it's painful to be around when it's being shot...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 05:03:31 pm »
Keep it up, guys. I'm liking my little Kel-tec .32 auto better with each post.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 05:38:57 pm »
This kel-tec you can load on sunday and shoot it all week.
https://www.keltecweapons.com/pistols/pmr-30

I shot one once and it kicks about the same as a .32.  I actually shot until I was tired of shooting and it wasn't empty yet...
-------------------

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 07:20:43 pm »
I used to shoot some black powder rifles, although I never got into that mountain man scene.  At BP matches, they shoot at iron plates suspended on chains.  We had one member they called Big Bore because he had a .70 caliber rifle and the bullet would frequently knock the gongs right off the chains.  I finally had the opportunity of shooting his rifle and found it quite pleasant to shoot, to my surprise. Not that different from a .50 cal., actually.  Black powder burns slower, so it gives the shooter a nudge instead of a blow like a sledge hammer.  In the case of his bullets, they were delivering the wallop where it counted.

salvo

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 08:36:57 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have absolutely no idea where to post this!

As a bad guy is likely to say: Better to be missed by a .45 than hit by a .22.....

Guns don't kill people. People Kill People. But the Bullets Seem to Matter.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/03/27/upshot/deadly-bullets-guns.html

So,... what's on your hip? DON'T ANSWER THAT!

One liners:

Mouse gun???? How many of these can you take in an eye socket?

Two in the hat!

Of the 84 total shots cops fired, one struck the suspect.

Before the call that changed Sergeant Timothy Gramins? life forever, he typically carried 47 rounds of handgun ammunition on his person while on duty. Today, he carries 145, ?every day, without fail.?

Attorneys for the family have said McCoy ? whose stage name was Willie Bo ? was shot about 25 times,

Sal

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 11:21:02 am »
So if everyone would get a AR15 with the small caliber .223 bullet less people would die than if we all got .45 pistols...
-------------------

salvo

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 10:05:13 pm »

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 09:49:06 pm »
Hi Folks,

YIKES!!!!! Please click the link
Some observations:

8 rounds fired by officer 1, 4 fired by officer 2 before the assailant is neutralized. What if there is more than one assailant? That is why magazines should not be limited to 10 rounds.
Just because the assailant is down does not mean the threat is over.
Officer 2 showed too much restraint when the assailant was charging officer 1.

What if the assailant had another knife?

Those who have limited knowledge about firearms should get some education before expressing their opinion about common sense firearms laws.

It takes 2 and a fraction rounds of most caliber firearms to subdue a threat, (yes even .22 caliber).
Better shot placement and less time between shots matters more than caliber.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 10:00:13 pm by incognito »
Tom

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 09:57:27 pm »
I used to shoot some black powder rifles, although I never got into that mountain man scene.  At BP matches, they shoot at iron plates suspended on chains.  We had one member they called Big Bore because he had a .70 caliber rifle and the bullet would frequently knock the gongs right off the chains.  I finally had the opportunity of shooting his rifle and found it quite pleasant to shoot, to my surprise. Not that different from a .50 cal., actually.  Black powder burns slower, so it gives the shooter a nudge instead of a blow like a sledge hammer.  In the case of his bullets, they were delivering the wallop where it counted.

Wow, amazing to knock the gongs off the chains!!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 09:23:07 am »

Wow, amazing to knock the gongs off the chains!!

I think you may have missed my point, Phillip.  A .45 caliber bullet has greater knockdown power than a .22 caliber bullet, even though it has a much lower velocity.  When I carried a .38 caliber revolver, I puzzled over what ammunition would be more effective ?- a round holding a 200-grain bullet or a lighter, faster round, such as a 158-grain Super Vel. I wound up alternating them in the cylinder.  I still am not sure which would have had superior stopping power, but believe a .38 special is inadequate for defense for most people.  Of course Iddee disagrees and stands by his .32 caliber.  Actually, one well-placed shot from a 22 short will do the job.  The number of rounds fired by police officers in some cases is appalling.  All those rounds that miss the target do hit something, somewhere and may result in far more damage than the perpetrator would have done if just left alone.  The officers need to slow down, breathe slowly and take very deliberate shots, but that calls for a lot more training than LE organizations are ready to provide.

I saw figures hat showed many, maybe most, soldiers in combat never fired a round.  We are all just humans, after all.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 11:37:09 am »
"I saw figures hat showed many, maybe most, soldiers in combat never fired a round."

I would correct that to say,  "at the enemy.  While in "nam, we went to the range and fired monthly, but I fired few rounds at the enemy, and even then at unseen enemies. Never fired a shot at anyone I could see.

*Shel Silverstein*