Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Shorts  (Read 3243 times)

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
Re: Bee Shorts
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2024, 04:55:12 pm »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2024, 04:13:45 pm »

salvo

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2024, 06:01:30 pm »
Hi Folks,

Curious to me that there are not battalions of robber bees not taking advantage of the openness of the runny honey and the chaos of that subject hive.

Woe betide the beek who does that in June in my area.

Sal

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2024, 06:06:22 pm »
Hi Folks,

Curious to me that there are not battalions of robber bees not taking advantage of the openness of the runny honey and the chaos of that subject hive.

Sal
Perhaps there isn't another hive close by.

Most of these videos of the giant honey bee harvest seem to be taking honey that isn't capped.  Does anyone know what is up with that?  Is it just too humid in these tropical regions for it get capped?     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2024, 09:24:16 pm »
Hi Folks,

Sal

These Asian bees are very calm. I have never noticed them robbing.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2024, 09:29:34 pm »
Hi Folks,

Sal
Perhaps there isn't another hive close by.

There could none...or there could be 100.
I was working at a temple in India and around the eaves were well over 100 combs hanging. During the middle of the day I could watch from my window and every few minutes a swarm would take off.
In Cambodia they are generally careful only to take capped honey. Human robbers will take the lot.

In Vietnam i was surprised to observe beekeepers harvesting mostly uncapped honey - possibly a humidity thing?

In Central China they harvested the honey fully capped.

Most of these videos of the giant honey bee harvest seem to be taking honey that isn't capped.  Does anyone know what is up with that?  Is it just too humid in these tropical regions for it get capped?   

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2024, 09:39:01 pm »
Max2
  Max aren't these the bees that are varroa resistant?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2024, 10:05:28 pm »
Apis cerana, the Asian honey bee, is the one usually listed as the original host of varroa, but the ranges of A. cerana and A. dorsata, the giant honey bee, overlap.  Beeaware.org says that A. dorsata only harbors varroa females, which makes me think that the brood cycle of the giant honey bees doesn't allow the varroa to breed and complete their life cycle.  The giant honey bees do harbor tropilaelaps mites however.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2024, 08:38:50 am »
I'm not sure what it means to say that dorsata only harbors females.  Pretty much that's true of Mellifera.  There are no male Varroa loose in a Mellifera colony.  They are only in the cells.  None survive to emerge fro the cell.  Any phoretic Varroa is mated and able to produce a male from their first egg they lay in a cell.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2024, 04:00:59 pm »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2024, 04:26:04 pm »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2024, 05:03:52 pm »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2024, 04:14:50 am »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2024, 06:26:56 pm »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2024, 12:04:58 am »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2024, 05:41:11 pm »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2024, 06:49:04 am »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2024, 10:46:07 am »
Max2
Apis cerana, the Asian honey bee, is the one usually listed as the original host of varroa, but the ranges of A. cerana and A. dorsata, the giant honey bee, overlap.  Beeaware.org says that A. dorsata only harbors varroa females, which makes me think that the brood cycle of the giant honey bees doesn't allow the varroa to breed and complete their life cycle.  The giant honey bees do harbor tropilaelaps mites however.       
I'm not sure what it means to say that dorsata only harbors females.  Pretty much that's true of Mellifera.  There are no male Varroa loose in a Mellifera colony.  They are only in the cells.  None survive to emerge fro the cell.  Any phoretic Varroa is mated and able to produce a male from their first egg they lay in a cell.

Very good point Mr Bush.

Which goes back to my question. Are these the Asian bees which are known to be varroa resistant?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2024, 01:21:47 pm »
Apis cerana is the species of honey bee that originally harbored varroa.  So I guess you could say they are resistant.  Varroa interact with them differently than with Apis mellifera though, since varroa only infest drone brood in A. cerana.  I'm not sure about Apis dorsata, their brood development times appear similar to A. cerana , so perhaps they also interact with varroa the same way as A. cerana.  But if the varroa can't reproduce in their colonies for some reason, I wouldn't call that "resistant", I'd just call it a parasite that cannot infest them.       
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 01:34:21 pm by The15thMember »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2024, 04:04:41 pm »
Apis Dorsata life cycle is 3days as an egg, 6 days as a larvae and 12 days as a pupa. Pretty much the same as apis melliferaso they are probably just as prone to varroa destructor.
Jim Altmiller.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything