Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Disappointed (comment)  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
Disappointed (comment)
« on: May 04, 2023, 06:14:08 pm »
All the bees I have had in twelve years have either been trap outs, swarms, or packages from a local small bee yard. 

My first hive, a KTB hive of bees that I cut out of a water meter needed a queen and somehow I met this local Beek and I bought a queen and her brood was so gentle my son and I worked them naked.

I wanted to get another couple of pounds of bees for a startup, but my friend was unable to help me so I picked up a package from Mann Lake in Winter Haven, Florida.

I might be spoiled since this was my first ?commercial? purchase, but I?m kinda disappointed.  Hundreds of dead bees, queen cage waxed nearly all the way closed, syrup can dry as a popcorn fart, and gobs of dirt in the bottom of the crate.

At the ML warehouse in Winter Haven, there were pallets of different breeds stacked 3-4 crates deep.  Never thought I would feel bad for bugs, but I can?t imagine how many dead bees?

That evening we watched a possum enjoy the pile of dead bees.  So at least they got recycled.

The live bees got hived in a homemade wooden nuc and seem to be doing well sucking up syrup like desert camel.

I did enjoy browsing the showroom at ML, the employees were very friendly and helpful, and it was so amusing to see people's reaction to all the loose bees in the store.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Disappointed (comment)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 07:17:36 pm »
Sundog I would like to visit ML as well, if I am ever over that way. Do they have a big showroom?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 03:57:08 pm »
Hello Mr. Framed

"Big" is a relative term, (as is incest).  The area of the showroom, while not the size of the Walmart's around here, is perhaps the sized of a CVS or Walgreens.  The attached warehouse adds much footage.

They seem to have a decent selection of items as they show in their catalogs.  Suits, gauntlets and such.  Eight frame components, plastic cell, etc.  Nice showroom, friendly staff.  Lots of friendly bees cruising around inside and at the door to the consternation of some of the shoppers. 

It was a fun day for my son and I, about an hour and a half due east from the coast where we live.

If ever you get near the Suncoast, please feel free to drop in and visit.  Hopefully I will be able to at least offer you the beverage of your choice.

p.s.  Ironically, the friend I spoke of in the first post, texted yesterday and said his paperwork had been approved and his bees were available.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 08:44:30 pm »
Hello Mr. Framed

"Big" is a relative term, (as is incest).  The area of the showroom, while not the size of the Walmart's around here, is perhaps the sized of a CVS or Walgreens.  The attached warehouse adds much footage.

They seem to have a decent selection of items as they show in their catalogs.  Suits, gauntlets and such.  Eight frame components, plastic cell, etc.  Nice showroom, friendly staff.  Lots of friendly bees cruising around inside and at the door to the consternation of some of the shoppers. 

It was a fun day for my son and I, about an hour and a half due east from the coast where we live.

If ever you get near the Suncoast, please feel free to drop in and visit.  Hopefully I will be able to at least offer you the beverage of your choice.

p.s.  Ironically, the friend I spoke of in the first post, texted yesterday and said his paperwork had been approved and his bees were available.

Thanks Sundog! Sounds good!

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 04:51:46 pm »
SUNDOG ML has been a disappointment to me as well. If not able to buy local I try to go with Dadant.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 10:06:19 pm »
SUNDOG ML has been a disappointment to me as well. If not able to buy local I try to go with Dadant.
WAIT UP NOW. 

I really like ML, their woodenware is ... so nice.  I've got Dadant frames and it's like they were cut with a garden hose.   (which if you were going to plane them down to some "other" size wouldn't matter but I DON"T DO THAT)

But package bees are ... package bees. Anyway, get your bees from your friends in the club if you can.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 10:29:22 pm »
WAIT UP NOW. 

I really like ML, their woodenware is ... so nice.  I've got Dadant frames and it's like they were cut with a garden hose.   (which if you were going to plane them down to some "other" size wouldn't matter but I DON"T DO THAT)

But package bees are ... package bees. Anyway, get your bees from your friends in the club if you can.
My only complaint about Mann Lake is that their woodenware is slightly wider than all my other equipment, which is either Brushy Mountain or locally made to fit Brushy Mountain, since that's where everyone around here used to get their woodenware.  It's not a huge problem, but it is annoying sometimes.  For example, my Brushy Mountain robbing screens don't fit my Mann Lake bottom boards, so there is a gap where the bees can sneak around it.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 07:23:02 am »
WAIT UP NOW. 

My only complaint about Mann Lake is that their woodenware is slightly wider than all my other equipment, which is either Brushy Mountain or locally made to fit Brushy Mountain, since that's where everyone around here used to get their woodenware.  It's not a huge problem, but it is annoying sometimes.  For example, my Brushy Mountain robbing screens don't fit my Mann Lake bottom boards, so there is a gap where the bees can sneak around it.
is there a "dukes up" emoji? 

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 11:06:19 am »
My only complaint with Mann Lake is their prices. :shocked:  Since they bought out Kelleys they haven't had a decent price(even their sale items i can usually get cheaper elsewhere)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 12:39:19 pm »
My only complaint with Mann Lake is their prices. :shocked:  Since they bought out Kelleys they haven't had a decent price(even their sale items i can usually get cheaper elsewhere)
I've found them to be pricey as well.  Although all the big bee supply places have such exorbitant shipping lately, it's usually cheaper to buy closer to home regardless of the price of the items. 

is there a "dukes up" emoji?
Only on iOS.  Perhaps a meme would suffice. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2023, 06:47:05 pm »
Have any of you tried Beez Needz?

https://beezneedz.com/
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2023, 06:53:30 pm »

I have not. I have tried Barnyard Bees as was very satisfied.

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2023, 07:17:28 pm »
I have tried Barnyard Bees as was very satisfied.

A lot of Barnyards wooden ware is Mannlake. (Or was the last time I was there) Independent and do carry items that Mannlake does not.

I like them because they are nice folks and a pleasant one hour drive through the country.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2023, 08:18:52 pm »
I just got some boxes and frames from Foxhound Bee Company, since I wanted to try some cypress equipment.  I've been so swamped lately (ha! no pun intended :grin:), I have yet to stain the boxes, but I am finished building the frames.  I wasn't super impressed with the quality.  I was splitting a lot of the wood, and it was difficult to get the side bars onto the top bars. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2023, 09:01:29 pm »
Beez Needz makes their own woodenware.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2023, 10:03:51 pm »
Beez Needz makes their own woodenware.
Some of it cypress, unless that has changed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2023, 06:31:41 am »
Back in the day cypress was great and would outlast pine.  The current cypress is no where near as long lasting.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2023, 06:48:51 am »
Old growth Cypress went out of sight pricewise. New Cypress isn't any better than pine, so I think B.Z. went all pine.

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2023, 10:58:07 am »
I have tried Barnyard Bees as was very satisfied.

A lot of Barnyards wooden ware is Mannlake. (Or was the last time I was there) Independent and do carry items that Mannlake does not.

I like them because they are nice folks and a pleasant one hour drive through the country.

Yes they are very nice folks. I have not bought wood ware from them, but other items. I make my own woodware. They are fast and efficient in their effort to get your goods delivered, has been my experience..

Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2023, 12:54:13 pm »

Thanks for the heads up..

Phillip

anything