Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oxalic Acid Vaporizer/Sublimator PPE  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Re: Oxalic Acid Vaporizer/Sublimator PPE
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 02:53:09 pm »
Thanks for the tips on the batteries, guys.  I'll see what my dad wants to do.
I did uses batteries at one time but after a while I decided they were just to heavy carry around.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2022, 02:53:23 pm »
I use 2 options when running my oav, I have a generator on the back of my truck, and an inverter inside my truck both work well.

I am assuming yours works off of 110 instead not 12v? If so, same here. Mine is homemade. Sort of a cross between the $499.00 jobs and a johnO. If needed in the future I was thinking I could do as Member, use a 12v battery with a 110 inverter. A two wheel dolly would be a handy way to move the battery for a situation where access by vehicle was not possible during rainy times and wet fields.
Though not under those circumstances, I have used a power inverter for this purpose before... works great....

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2022, 02:54:08 pm »
Brian it seems you and I were posting at the same time lol.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2022, 03:23:29 pm »
I use 2 options when running my oav, I have a generator on the back of my truck, and an inverter inside my truck both work well.

I am assuming yours works off of 110 instead not 12v? If so, same here. Mine is homemade. Sort of a cross between the $499.00 jobs and a johnO. If needed in the future I was thinking I could do as Member, use a 12v battery with a 110 inverter. A two wheel dolly would be a handy way to move the battery for a situation where access by vehicle was not possible during rainy times and wet fields.
Though not under those circumstances, I have used a power inverter for this purpose before... works great....

Phillip
The generator can handle 110v and 220v stays on the truck, the inverter I can connect to the trucks battery, It has alligator clips on it so I can use it with any vehicle easy breezy.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2022, 05:48:43 pm »
She just needs 12vdc for the wand. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2022, 09:55:46 am »
She just needs 12vdc for the wand. 

Some use use 12V Im using the pro ProVap it uses 110V

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2022, 11:26:53 am »
10-4. I was just clarifying for the OP as to not confuse her on her first attempt, that she specifically needs 12vdc.
If she likes the results of the OA, I would imagine that she upgrades in a year or two.
I can bang out 8 hives in under 8 minutes with a 120v oxyvap and just come back later and pull the rags and put the cooled down unit away. It?s no comparison to the wand. The 12v wand is a gateway drug. Nothing wrong with it, but I can spend a day piddling around with the bees and it?s enjoyable. For some reason I want to be done treating them as quickly as possible. It just doesn?t carry the same pleasure in time spent with the bees after the 3rd dose of the 8th treatment cycle.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2022, 04:46:32 pm »
Reagan If you can't reach the bees by car or truck to jump from their battery, you should be able to get the job done with a riding lawnmower or an ATV, jumping to the 12v battery power source.. As 30 pointed out, your mechanism doesn't need a big 12v battery. Also, a riding lawnmower or ATV with a pull behind trailer would also be handy for transporting heavier things back and forth to your bee area as well. (Supers and woodware etc)....

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2022, 05:45:48 pm »
Reagan If you can't reach the bees by car or truck to jump from their battery, you should be able to get the job done with a riding lawnmower or an ATV, jumping to the 12v battery power source.. As 30 pointed out, your mechanism doesn't need a big 12v battery. Also, a riding lawnmower or ATV with a pull behind trailer would also be handy for transporting heavier things back and forth to your bee area as well. (Supers and woodware etc)....

Phillip
I actually can't get a mower or ATV up to where my hives are.  They are up on a hill behind our garage, and there are steps cut into the bank or I couldn't get up there either. 

I purchased the battery that 30 recommended today.  My dad also thought it seemed like a good one, so I shopped around a little bit, and Lowes did indeed have the best price.  My local store unfortunately doesn't carry it, so I had it shipped, and it should be here on or before Feb. 7.  I got my half-mask fitted today, and I also found a pair of goggles that works well with the mask and my glasses, so once the battery gets here, I'll be set.  Thanks for all the help everyone, and I'll let you know how it goes.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2022, 09:16:15 pm »
Been using a 12 volt wand now for about four years with a battery and can treat a hive in about five minutes which is just fine for my little yard. Just started my first set of treatments for 2022 and tried something a little different for power. I hooked up a 12 amp battery charger to the battery I was using for the wand to prevent any power drop as I move from hive to hive. It worked great and cut about a minute off OAV treatment time for each hive. Having the yard behind the shop makes it easy to run an extension cord to it. I tried to run the wand directly off the battery charger which worked but doing that was running the charger at it's maximum output which didn't seem to be a good idea so I added the battery for it's extra power.
   I use a hand drawn cart to move the battery and gear around the yard. It comes in handy to transport supers and honey boxes back and forth during the year and is better than a wheel barrow.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Oxalic Acid Vaporizer/Sublimator PPE
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2022, 11:46:54 pm »
If your battery gets delayed, and you don?t want to pull a battery out of something for an hour, I?m sure pops could rig you up something with an extension cord.
I have been known to just stick wires in an extension cord from time to time, but that?s not safe. And you wouldn?t want to confuse yourself and plug your wand into the wall, but?

A set of alligator clamps on a battery in a vehicle or whatever hooked to a replacement female cord end. Plug a cord into that, up the hill to a piece of wood with two bolts in it. Bolts rigged to a male cord end. Camps on wand to bolts.

Or you could just cut and splice the wire as long as you needed it to be. I like to keep things complicated though.

You should never do this. It?s a terrible idea, but if you did do it, it would work.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2022, 12:01:39 am »
If your battery gets delayed, and you don?t want to pull a battery out of something for an hour, I?m sure pops could rig you up something with an extension cord.
I have been known to just stick wires in an extension cord from time to time, but that?s not safe. And you wouldn?t want to confuse yourself and plug your wand into the wall, but?

A set of alligator clamps on a battery in a vehicle or whatever hooked to a replacement female cord end. Plug a cord into that, up the hill to a piece of wood with two bolts in it. Bolts rigged to a male cord end. Camps on wand to bolts.

Or you could just cut and splice the wire as long as you needed it to be. I like to keep things complicated though.

You should never do this. It?s a terrible idea, but if you did do it, it would work.

Thanks, I think?  :cheesy:  I think I'll play it safe and wait it out for the battery, and save the electrocuting, I mean electrical work, for you DIYers.  :wink:  I know I'm cutting it a little close with brood rearing starting, but this is just way to far out there for me.  All great ideas are sketched out on napkins though, so I wouldn't give up on it automatically.  :grin:  Also I prefer to do my time traveling Waverider style, rather than with a DeLorean.  :cool: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2022, 11:15:46 am »
It's amazing what you can use an extension cord for. I wired my shop stereo speakers using a couple 100 footers but had to cut off the ends to wire them in. When I worked construction a buddy would use them as a safety rope when working on a roof. LOL

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2022, 12:51:47 pm »
It's amazing what you can use an extension cord for. I wired my shop stereo speakers using a couple 100 footers but had to cut off the ends to wire them in. When I worked construction a buddy would use them as a safety rope when working on a roof. LOL
What's the weight rating on an extension cord?  :cheesy:

Hey, while I've got you guys on the line, (ha, no pun intended! :cheesy:), if I have sugar balls in these hives as emergency feed, should I remove that when I do the treatment?  Does it matter if the bees eat any oxalic that precipitates onto the sugar?  Or does it break down fast enough that it's not a problem?   

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2022, 02:28:49 pm »
Well, I did it!  The treatment went really well, it was really easy, and I didn't inhale any toxic fumes, so we should be good to go!  :cheesy:  Seriously though, I had no troubles with the wand or the respirator, just in and out of the hives, super simple.  I can't believe I didn't consider OAV before now; it just seemed like so many moving parts compared to FormicPro or ApiLife Var, but honestly the thing that took the longest was just getting my respirator fitted.  I'm super happy with how it went.  Now we'll just have to see the how the results end up where the mites are concerned. 

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2022, 07:35:10 pm »
Glad you liked it. It?s pretty effective. If you have a screen bottom, you can pull the board out tomorrow and look at the mite drop.
If you think they are starting back with brood, which they probably are, you should hit them again in 4-5 days. If there is a ton of brood, it?s 3-4 doses, 4-5 days apart. My maples are starting to bloom, so there is nectar, and there have been a few days warm enough to fly. Jut don?t forget to pull the honey if you treat and want to eat the honey.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2022, 09:38:06 pm »
Glad you liked it. It?s pretty effective. If you have a screen bottom, you can pull the board out tomorrow and look at the mite drop.
If you think they are starting back with brood, which they probably are, you should hit them again in 4-5 days. If there is a ton of brood, it?s 3-4 doses, 4-5 days apart. My maples are starting to bloom, so there is nectar, and there have been a few days warm enough to fly. Jut don?t forget to pull the honey if you treat and want to eat the honey.
Thanks for the reminders, and I was wondering if maybe I should hit them again, so I'll probably do another round on Saturday.  My maples are budded and a few are just barely starting to open, so we're a little bit behind you here at higher elevation.   

anything