Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to store comb honey (Spinoff from) "Comb honey. A journey of learning"  (Read 3622 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
What ways are there to store comb honey? Is refrigerating or freezing the only way?
(Spinoff thoughts from the topic) "Comb honey. A journey of learning" Started by Lesgold
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 06:56:23 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: How to store comb honey (Spinoff from) "Comb honey. A journey of learning"
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 01:39:15 pm »
I haven't been keeping up with the original topic as well as I would like, so forgive me if I'm missing something.  Why would comb honey be different from any other honey?  Honey shouldn't be refrigerated, as that's the temperature when honey is most prone to crystallizing, and it certainly doesn't need to be frozen.  I have a partial frame of capped sourwood just sitting in a plastic dish on the counter for people to pick at whenever they'd like, and it's been there for several months and it's still perfectly fine.  (Yes, I'm aware that it's criminal that my entire family hasn't eaten 1 medium frame of sourwood faster than that, but it seems not everyone is okay with getting extremely sticky to eat honey! :wink: :cheesy:)     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 02:11:49 pm »
The15th
My understanding of freezing is so that small hive beetle eggs do not hatch in your comb honey. So freezing for like 48 hours or so will kill the eggs.
Cheers
gww

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 02:16:13 pm »
I haven't been keeping up with the original topic as well as I would like, so forgive me if I'm missing something.  Why would comb honey be different from any other honey?  Honey shouldn't be refrigerated, as that's the temperature when honey is most prone to crystallizing, and it certainly doesn't need to be frozen.  I have a partial frame of capped sourwood just sitting in a plastic dish on the counter for people to pick at whenever they'd like, and it's been there for several months and it's still perfectly fine.  (Yes, I'm aware that it's criminal that my entire family hasn't eaten 1 medium frame of sourwood faster than that, but it seems not everyone is okay with getting extremely sticky to eat honey! :wink: :cheesy:)     

Member I confess I know nothing about storing comb honey nor did I check before asking. I have had liquid honey crystallize in jars and larger storage containers at different times of the year in different temperatures.  I was thinking the same process may occur in stored comb honey which would be undesirable, especially after all the hard work. "who would want crystallized comb honey?  :shocked: lol

It is good to know I can now skip that and put packaged comb honey containers in stacks in the corner, until time of gifting throughout the year.

I have not attempted freezing honey except when pulled from the hive for a day or so, in order to avoid any concerns of SHB related problems. I was unaware that frozen honey will crystalize, just the opposite results of what I was hoping to accomplish by placing it in long term freezing or 'cold' refrigeration . My thoughts were; Frozen packaged comb honey would be frozen 'in time', intack, with little to no leaking from the comb, With the bonus of no crystallizing, hopefully being found in the same state as was placed in the freezer as when removed from the freezer, ready for gifts etc.

Thank you for this revelation Member..

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 02:36:15 pm »

Member I confess I know nothing about storing comb honey nor did I check before asking. I have had liquid honey crystallize in jars and larger storage containers at different times of the year in different temperatures.  I was thinking the same process may occur in stored comb honey which would be undesirable, especially after all the hard work. "who would want crystallized comb honey?  :shocked: lol

It is good to know I can now skip that and put packaged comb honey containers in stacks in the corner, until time of gifting throughout the year.

I have not attempted freezing honey except when pulled from the hive for a day or so, in order to avoid any concerns of SHB related problems. I was unaware that frozen honey will crystalize, just the opposite results of what I was hoping to accomplish by placing it in long term freezing or 'cold' refrigeration . My thoughts were; Frozen packaged comb honey would be frozen 'in time', intack, with little to no leaking from the comb, With the bonus of no crystallizing, hopefully being found in the same state as was placed in the freezer as when removed from the freezer, ready for gifts etc.

Thank you for this revelation Member..

Phillip
Just to be clear, you can freeze honey in the comb with no problem.  As gww mentioned, I do that to deal with pests all the time, even with honey frames for extraction and it causes no issues that I've noticed.  You certainly could store comb honey in the freezer without any issues, but you just don't need to.  Just like capped honey in the hive is perfectly fine in any temperature, capped honey on a shelf is no different.  And I've also had liquid honey on the shelf crystallize at a variety of temperatures, and I'd be more concerned about the variety of honey than the temperature if I was worried about that.  For example, in Great Britain they often have trouble with ivy honey crystallizing in the comb which makes it hard for the bees to eat over the winter and then the bees can starve in a hive full of honey.  Honey that is prone to crystallizing (honey that is mostly glucose as opposed to fructose) will eventually do so regardless of temperature; and most honey will crystallize fastest at refrigeration temperatures (around 40F).       

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 02:58:05 pm »
I never know from year to year or flow to flow if my honey will or will not crystallize. All wildflower honey in my apiary location . I just do not want to have it crystallize in the comb when I try this next year. Looking ahead and answered questions has been a help. Wonder why it will not crystallize in stored comb?

Thanks

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 03:37:57 pm »
Hi Folks

Wax moth eggs are another consideration. Freezing comb for a couple of days will sort that potential problem. Comb can apparently be frozen for 12 months without impacting on its texture or nutritional qualities. As it is a product that relies on a good honey flow, the idea of having stock available during the quiet times of year appeals to me. I must admit that fresh comb, eaten soon after removing from the hive would be my preference. When I get back home I?ll show you what I?m currently using and where I?m heading in relation to packaging. Look forward with interest to what ideas people come up with as what I?m currently using is less than ideal.

Cheers

Les

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 04:20:55 pm »
Freezing honey should stop crystallization.  57 degrees is the fastest  crystallization temp.
Cheers
gww

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2021, 06:38:35 pm »
I never know from year to year or flow to flow if my honey will or will not crystallize. All wildflower honey in my apiary location . I just do not want to have it crystallize in the comb when I try this next year. Looking ahead and answered questions has been a help. Wonder why it will not crystallize in stored comb?

Thanks

Phillip
I agree with Les and gww.  If you are concerned about it, just go ahead and freeze it if you have the space, as it won't harm the honey at all.  If it's a honey prone to crystallizing, it may crystallize in the comb, unless you freeze it.     

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2021, 09:06:30 pm »
Thanks friends. I really appreciate your input.

Phillip

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 01:12:18 am »
Freezing honey frames for SHB's may or may not be necessary.  The beetles lay eggs in pollen.  So if there is no pollen in the honey frames, odds are there is no beetle eggs.  As long as the hive, that the frames were taken from, hasn't been overrun by the SHB's then there should not be any larva crawling around on the frame.  I have a frame of capped honey that was left over last year when I harvested and extracted.  It has been sitting in a bucket for a year and a half and it is fine. 

As far as storing cut comb, I had some that I packaged in the plastic clam shell boxes similar to those pictured in the other topic.  They were fine just sitting there until the day that the little sugar ants found them.  Honey sprinkled with ants is not very popular with most people.  :tongue:

If you were to freeze them in those plastic containers, you might have moisture issues when you thaw them out if you get any frost buildup inside those containers.  This may or may not happen, depending on your freezer.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 06:35:53 am »
Just to confirm what many have already posted comb honey stores best when frozen. I currently have 2 freezers full of the stuff and thaw as needed. Yes you get a little condensation in the packaging  when immediately thawed, but this soon disappears as they warm to room temperature.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 06:26:28 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have been using 240ml, round takeaway containers for the little rounds that I have been making. Not perfect but they do the job at the moment. I have been looking into a bio plastic option which is quite appealing. Hopefully in the future, beekeepers will have better options for presenting their products. This bio plastic material is made from plant material and is compostable in a commercial setting. It is a renewable resource and should reduce the issues that we currently face with petro chemical plastics. Here is a screenshot taken from their website. I have emailed them asking for a couple of samples and info on their products. This may take a while as they will be shutting down for the Christmas break.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2021, 04:00:44 am »
Hi Folks,

Another company making bio plastics sent me a range of their products to look at. I selected three that could be put to good use. They are all bio plastics and are quite cheep to buy. The two with black bases were designed for sushi. They are light weight and resent well. The two sushi containers don?t seal so the comb could only be sold in these containers in a market or home sales situation.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 09:34:20 pm by Lesgold »

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2021, 09:12:49 pm »
So this year I used these, because I'm tired of spending $1 per container.  This holds 1 lb very nicely.
3 for a dollar, woo hoo.  Thank you Ikea!

Not as leakproof as the Snapware thumblatch containers for $3 at Target, so not suitable for shipping through the mail like the Snapware can be sent.  But just fine for local sales.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/pruta-food-container-clear-yellow-90335843/

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2021, 07:56:10 pm »
Hi Folks,

A couple of methods I used for the markets. (They are not fully labelled yet) Small rectangular honey  sections lightly vacuum sealed. Just enough to get most of the air out without squashing the comb. This allows for easy freezing if required.

Small takeaway containers for the rounds. (Not ideal but it is the best I have at this stage)

Cheers

Les

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2022, 11:26:57 pm »
Just got sent a sample cellulose based bag that is heat sealable. Just trying it out on a comb section in the freezer. The bag is biodegradable and is made from wood pulp. It?s light weight, very clear and should work well to seal in the sticky stuff. I think that it will be good for home sales, markets and possibly in a commercial setting (such as a restaurant) where the comb could be stored in the freezer during the off season. This bag will cost about 16c per item when purchased in bulk.

I used the heat sealing element on my vacuum sealer to seal the bag.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2022, 02:00:51 pm »
But how much does the wood frame cost?

Do you need a special divider in the hive?

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2022, 04:25:03 pm »
Hi FloridaGardener,

I make those frames myself. Have a look at the thread on comb honey and you will be able to pick up a few more details.

Cheers

Les

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 04:40:06 pm »
Hi Folks,

The postman just turned up with some samples from a packaging company. I put a round of comb in each of the samples and took a photo of each. Here they are:

This container uses a biodegradable base made from sugar cane pulp. The lid is a plant based bio plastic. Both the lid and base are compostable.

This container is just like the takeaway containers that I am currently using but the one in the photo is also plant based. It is perfectly clear.

I?m impressed with both options. What do you guys think? Do you have a preference? I will definitely use one of these options.

Cheers

Les