Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
RAPID BEEYARD GROWTH / Re: I Have Too Many Bees
« Last post by Michael Bush on Today at 10:36:43 am »
One of the reasons I like top entrances is because moist air rises.  You need to let the moisture out.  Also why I don't like too much ventilation.  Because the bees can't control the environment if there is too much ventilation.
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 10:18:51 am »
 :grin: :wink:
« Last post by Bill Murray on Today at 10:12:58 am »

poor bees working, fanning doing their best to dry the nectar

I had to chuckle at this, because it was exactly what I was thinking when tapping that last post out.
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 10:02:24 am »
Yes Bill, a hive filled with wet nectar; With the humidity in the high 90s outside, can you imaging how humid the inside of the box is, poor bees working, fanning doing their best to dry the nectar enough to cap? It might be like trying to dry wet clothing and shoes in a sauna! lol.. I posted of Tims method of success for those who may have the problem that he faced as a beekeeper in such dire circumstances, and overcame with success. Perhaps Tims experience shared here, will help someone. 

Phillip
I feel for you Matt. Took me two days to cut my way into a yard last year.

But on the bright side, they were still there with what looks like minimal damage
Wow, I feel for you Matt.

Phillip
« Last post by Bill Murray on Today at 09:48:14 am »
Phillip, no convincing necessary,  I ran screened bottom boards when I first started,because I was told that was what to do in Florida. I actually still have quite a few I use every year temporarily in the spring for increases.

I found the solid bottom boards with an entrance reducer and an imirie shim on top of the hive to be the most effective at keeping the bearding to a minimum.

When I actually sat and thought it through it kinda made sense. the bees were consistently pulling huge amounts of 98 Deg. plus air with 98-100 percent humidity through the hive and trying to cool it. On a secondary note I also got consistently drier honey. (this isnt always the case because it has a lot to do amount of uncured nectar vs bees ) Just my personal observation, also living in a "hot, humid, sultry, miserable place to keep bees."
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 09:39:38 am »
Do you use a means of ventilating your hives to aid the bees with this humidity problem?
I have found that more ventilation is sometimes worse actually.  I'm still in the process of figuring out exactly how much is best for my situation, but I used screened bottoms and tops for several years, and I'm moving toward more solid bottoms and tops now, which seems to be helping with mold at least.  When it's extremely humid, it seems better to keep that ambient moisture out with less ventilation.

All pressure treated wood is not the same.. Yellawood?, pressure treated wood company was started by Jimmy Rains and brother using only the best in chemicals and techniques for this purpose...

Guaranteed Protection
YellaWood? brand products carry a Lifetime Residential and Agricultural Limited Warranty against structural damage caused by fungal decay and termites for above ground, ground contact and fresh water contact applications.https://penlumber.com/brands/yellow-wood-treated-lumber/#:~:text=Guaranteed%20Protection,and%20fresh%20water%20contact%20applications.

The question would be the price.  Cinder blocks are pretty cheap and wood has gotten so expensive.

> I have found that more ventilation is sometimes worse actually.

Tim Durham, a 'well known' and 'respected', life long successful commercial beekeeper, keeps bees in the Mississippi Delta and has discussed the 'importance' of ventilation. The Mississippi Delta is a hot, humid, sultry, miserable place to keep bees considering the 'dense' humidity. (There is a reason he works bees in short pants, and a rag tied around his head lol). Yet Tim has learned to overcome this problem 'with success' in that respect. He uses solid bottom boards, and only a pebble to allow the hot humid air which would be trapped in the hive to escape through the top by using a simple pebble between his top super and and hive lid....Thus eliminating the 'sauna' effect, allowing the honey a better chance to 'dry' and be capped. Just a side: Tim once lived in North Carolina, I have posted of his experience removing bees from Aunt Bs home, The Aunt 'Bee' of the Andy Griffith show, when he was a young man and beekeeper.

>The question would be the price.  Cinder blocks are pretty cheap and wood has gotten so expensive.

As far as Michael Bushs' suggestion of using treated 2X4s for our base and the reasons for it, the price at Home Depot of a 2X4X8 is $4.28. Cut into 16" lengths. (the length of a cinder block), will give you 6 base boards. I did not check the price of cinder blocks. 

I hope this helps.

Phillip

Commiserate with me, please. I attached before and after pics.

I cut out two of seven hives,  three colonies intact, bees flying. Can't get to the rest yet. UGH! This is not what I wanted to be doing!

Third pic is a 14 inch trunk dropped right between two stacks housing three colonies.(yup,  that's a double screen board)  Lucky? No lucky? 

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

« Last post by Bill Murray on Today at 08:42:47 am »
El Nino ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10