Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help in the garden  (Read 12109 times)

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
Help in the garden
« on: May 25, 2020, 10:05:40 am »
My favorite time of day, early morning, working in the garden with music low on outdoor speakers, and I always have help . . . . . cat's in the corn, dog guards the butterbeans.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Help in the garden
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 10:45:04 am »
Beautiful dog and cat!  Particularly kitties seem to love to "help" with things around the house, and by "help" they mean sit on the thing you are trying to work on.  :cheesy:  Last night my mom was working on sewing some face masks, and her cat was helping out by playing with the thread and knocking things off the table.  :grin: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 01:24:56 pm »
thanks member.  my cat always wants to have his paw just barely touching me, and my dog doesn't want the cat touching me, so it gets pretty hilarious around here at times.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 06:15:09 pm »
Beautiful dog and cat!  Particularly kitties seem to love to "help" with things around the house, and by "help" they mean sit on the thing you are trying to work on.  :cheesy:  Last night my mom was working on sewing some face masks, and her cat was helping out by playing with the thread and knocking things off the table.  :grin:
Yeah, my cats lay around and ?supervise? while I work. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 10:49:20 pm »
Yeah, my cats lay around and ?supervise? while I work.

My cat has the most fun when I?m picking butter beans - he loves to hide and then jump over the rows to attack me or my harvesting basket.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 08:53:44 am »
Corn looks like it was planted by machine.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 09:28:16 am »
Corn looks like it was planted by machine

Thanks Ace, yes it?s called a seeb-walkalong, you can tell from the butter bean row that it needed recharging.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 11:53:44 pm »
 :cheesy:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 08:50:41 am »
I have a walk along seed planter that was rather pricey.  Just wondering if you used such an aide.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 09:41:26 am »
I have a walk along seed planter that was rather pricey.  Just wondering if you used such an aide.

Ace - I have a planter, but it's about 35 years old and I've always found it more aggravating than helpful. I enjoy planting by hand and since I don't have a large garden, it's no big deal.
Do you have a vegetable garden in Florida yet?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 10:02:10 am »
He, he, he, you what a laugh?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/85DbKJnFXUKsVQZB9
My wife is experimenting.
In southern FL if the plant can survive the climate you grind up rubbish and throw the seeds over you left shoulder and you have a garden.  Some plants can be grown twice in a year.  I think the issue might be a lot of critters like what you plant.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 10:27:09 am »
Ace - I have a planter, but it's about 35 years old and I've always found it more aggravating than helpful.
Being an engineer for so long I like to build machines and tinker.  Aggravation is part of the fun.  The fact that it might take longer using the machine is no deterrent.  One of the first things I bought after we got the house is a tractor.  My wife is fully on board with a tractor.  She has seen the back breaking work it can do.  She doesn't like me planting with it because she claims it is her fun to plant by hand.  So up north we had two gardens, hers and mine.  Mine didn't have a weed in it.  Towards the end of the season hers looked like a wild flower meadow.  One year we caned 74 quarts of tomato sauce not just tomatoes.  Sauce is comfort food and we had long winters up there.  I grew the potatoes, onions, garlic, corn, and buck wheat for the bees.  Half of it would rot in the basement by April.  There is only two of us.  It is all about the fun of gardening. :smile:
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 11:23:08 am »
I had a tractor when I had a 22 acre farm, and loved it [especially bush-hogging]. Wish I had one now, but with an acre of land . . . my pride and joy now is a BCS walk-behind tractor with a rear tine tiller that does a very impressive job https://www.bcsamerica.com/products/tractors.
It's just me, so once everything starts coming in, I have to let a lot of the weeding go so I can can and freeze, etc, so I guess my late garden is more in line with your wife's garden.
My aggravation with the planter is it will go about 4 rotations without planting a seed, then drop 4 or 5 seed for awhile - and I end up having to do too much bending to straighten it out.  I just plant my little post at each end of the garden, turn my hoe upside down and make a run post to post - go back and drop the seed, then cover - it takes about 5 minutes per row.  Then the little post keep my garden hose from running over plants when I water.
Looks like you plant indeterminate tomatoes. I do both, mostly heirloom Cherokee Purple, Brandywine.  I always planted buckwheat for the bees too, and interestingly enough, the deer preferred the buckwheat to my garden vegetables.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 09:04:43 am »
My aggravation with the planter is it will go about 4 rotations without planting a seed, then drop 4 or 5 seed for awhile - and I end up having to do too much bending to straighten it out.
Yeah, same with mine.  I guess there is too much variation in the seeds to use the cupped wheel method.  I have done a heck of a lot of automation in my time handling all different kinds of parts if I actually needed the planter I would have modified it to increase it's reliability.  We had 8 acres before and now we have 1.25 a very big house 3 car garage and trees everywhere so I am never going to have a garden that needs a planter. (and the wife forbids it)  I would love to redesign the planter so it works right and sell it to someone that needs it.  I know I could make it work but my selling skills are zilch.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 09:41:52 am »
I had a tractor when I had a 22 acre farm, and loved it [especially bush-hogging]. Wish I had one now, but with an acre of land . . . my pride and joy now is a BCS
I looked high and low for a two wheeled tractor (no tiller) and they just aren't used in this country any more.  So I made one out of a rusted out snow blower.  It was my pride and joy for weeding between the rows but the hard dry clay in the hot summer made it a work out.  So I took the implement that I made and mounted it to a riding mower.  I used the mechanism for lowering the mower deck to raise and lower the implement.  That was the creme de la creme.
Two wheeled version:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QQrwKXghdt9xSwiu6
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 12:36:22 pm »
I had a tractor when I had a 22 acre farm, and loved it [especially bush-hogging]. Wish I had one now, but with an acre of land . . . my pride and joy now is a BCS
I looked high and low for a two wheeled tractor (no tiller) and they just aren't used in this country any more.  So I made one out of a rusted out snow blower.  It was my pride and joy for weeding between the rows but the hard dry clay in the hot summer made it a work out.  So I took the implement that I made and mounted it to a riding mower.  I used the mechanism for lowering the mower deck to raise and lower the implement.  That was the creme de la creme.
Two wheeled version:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QQrwKXghdt9xSwiu6

Awesome, engineering, Acebird! My wife would love this for her garden.  Now where can I find an old snow-blower in Hawaii to modify?  :tongue:

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 10:32:27 am »
It IS awesome engineering, I always admire people that have the talent to think and work outside of the box.

I used to use a troy built but that would throw me across the garden if I hit the littlest thing, and the tilling result was far less than acceptable, so when I hurt my back, I couldn't afford to take a chance with it. This walk behind that works off a PTO does beautiful beds, like what you get with a standard tractor and has much better stability. Many other high quality/usable attachments are available. I think it is made in Italy.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 09:57:14 am »
Now where can I find an old snow-blower in Hawaii to modify?  :tongue:
She wouldn't be able to handle it anyway.  As Seeb posted it would throw her.  Handles need to be extended backwards a long way for stability.
However if you have enough land go with the riding lawnmower version.  You have to make the rows 30+ inches and every subsequent year off set the rows to the center of the path.  Basically that soil is fallow every other year.
Seeb, I have an issue with tilling with a tine tiller.  It kills the worms and ruins the soil over a period of time.  It is basically only good for establishing a garden in a sodded field the first year.  You will have to kill the soil with chemicals if you continue using it.  Before I got a bottom plow for my tractor I converted a tine tiller to run off the three point.  The garden you see by the highway was a wiled forest like you see in the right of the photo.  Large rocks, roots and tree stumps needed to be removed.  For that kind of work you need a second tractor to pull out the one that got stuck.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 07:45:06 pm »
Seeb, I have an issue with tilling with a tine tiller.  It kills the worms and ruins the soil over a period of time.  It is basically only good for establishing a garden in a sodded field the first year.  You will have to kill the soil with chemicals if you continue using it.

I don't know Ace, I understand it is not the preferred way, but I do plant cover crops, add manure, and generally do the best I can for my  situation. I'm not sure what you mean when you say I will have to kill the soil with chemicals.   

Large rocks, roots and tree stumps needed to be removed.  For that kind of work you need a second tractor to pull out the one that got stuck.

Now this I understand - lol

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 08:06:33 am »
Chopping up the soil kills the worms and destroys the ecosystem of the soil.  I don't know the exact science but over time the soil degrades even with green and animal manure.  Even the use of a bottom plow has it's negatives.  Chemical fertilizers kill the soil but the yield is more in a smaller area.  It is like round up, once you go that route you have no other choice in the future.
Actually with that two wheeled tractor you have you could just use a stationary till to just scratch the surface for planting and you would be fine.  No killing worms and no beating up of the soil.  If you let the garden go fallow for a few years you would be forced to use the rotary tiller again.  As long as you plant something to keep the weeds down you should be able to scratch till.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything