Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa detected in Australia  (Read 51279 times)

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Varroa detected in Australia
« Reply #320 on: October 09, 2023, 06:37:52 pm »
At the moment in New South Wales, there is a requirement to test for varroa and report findings every 16 weeks. As the spread of this pest continues, I?m sure that there will be other requirements developed and modified over time. Every state in the country will probably approach this problem in their own way and we may end up with a variety of methods being adopted. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. I personally want to try a treatment free approach but I am hopefully still open minded about all options available. One concern that I have is in relation to the huge number of beekeepers who keep one or two hives in their backyard. If they are not registered, they have been kept out of the loop in relation to varroa. As a registered beekeeper, I have been regularly contacted in relation to varroa, its risks, its spread etc. Anyone who is not registered can still find out information but they have to search for it. As an example, I was talking to a person last week who keeps a few hives. I asked him how he was going in relation to testing. He just looked at me and smiled. He wasn?t testing, wasn?t registered, had little knowledge of the problem and didn?t particularly care. Pretty sad really.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #321 on: October 09, 2023, 11:52:34 pm »
I noticed tonight that any area colored as a mite infestation area, if clicked upon will repot how many mite detections have been found within those areas. A good way of keeping folks informed by NSW.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #323 on: October 16, 2023, 11:02:34 pm »
One of the local beegear suppliers is now offering varroa strips. never miss a chace to make a dollar.
I have yet to read that the strips are actually approved here in OZ?

I had a look for " Bees for sale" - yes, people are getting out, selling up while they have something to sell.

I have sold very few nuc's this season and only have a few orders.
A few years ago I would have had over 100 orders and could hardly keep up. Well, i could not keep up.

Taking honey off, bottling, cleaning...there is plenty of time to think about other things...past...present ...and future.

Australia just had a referendum. I don't think it matters if you voted "yes" or " no" but it did bring to the fore the very nasty bits of our history.

All the conflicts around the planet. Israel/alestine has pushed the Russia/Ukraine war of the front page. For now.
Thank goodness for bees, cattle, gardens...

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #324 on: October 17, 2023, 07:51:07 am »
One of the local beegear suppliers is now offering varroa strips. never miss a chace to make a dollar.
I have yet to read that the strips are actually approved here in OZ?

I had a look for " Bees for sale" - yes, people are getting out, selling up while they have something to sell.

I have sold very few nuc's this season and only have a few orders.
A few years ago I would have had over 100 orders and could hardly keep up. Well, i could not keep up.

Taking honey off, bottling, cleaning...there is plenty of time to think about other things...past...present ...and future.

Australia just had a referendum. I don't think it matters if you voted "yes" or " no" but it did bring to the fore the very nasty bits of our history.

All the conflicts around the planet. Israel/alestine has pushed the Russia/Ukraine war of the front page. For now.
Thank goodness for bees, cattle, gardens...
If the strips are available, would you not use them?

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #325 on: October 26, 2023, 05:50:55 pm »
One side efect of the arrival of varroa in Australia is the drop in hive prices.
Googling " Hives for sale" explaind why the demand for my nuc's has dropped off so much.

I had orders cancelled and people who wanted beesd ( and i have them here ready) don't even respond to my emails...

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #326 on: October 26, 2023, 06:17:37 pm »
Jim wrote:Michael Bush has been keeping bees for a very long time. When varroa hit, like everyone else he started treating with all of the poison and chemicals. He then decided to let the bees figure it out.  He has not been treating his bees for, I think, over ten years now. He has done a few things to help the bees out.
He shaved his brood frames down by an eighth of an inch and puts 11 frames in a 10 foot and box. This allows each bee in the brood area to do the work of two bees. The other thing he does is use fountain less frames to allow the bees to make smaller bees to allow them to hatch out a day or two earlier. This reduces the number of mites that can mature to adulthood. Mite originally developed on apis Cerana drone brood only. Apis Cerana is a smaller bee that hatches sooner than our bees. Loosing a few drone brood is not a problem. The foundation in our hives was designed to make larger bees, to bee able to carry more nectar. Larger bees take more time to develop.
Maybe Michael will provide more information.
I think when Varroa hit Italy, may have been another country, they decided to not treat their bees. The first couple of years they lost a large percentage of their hives. Then the bees changed and survived with the mites.
Jim Altmiller
Thanks Jim,
Michael keeps bees in Nehawka, NE, so I understand.Looking at Google I can see that he has a genuine winter , even snow.I have never been to Nehawka but I have been close and it was freezing.To get an idea where my bees are, look for the climate  for Nambour, Qld, our closest weather station - no snow, no winter to speak of.To get an even better idea look for Maroochydore.We have a genuine Subtropical climate and here is the problem - we can take honey off any time of the year. Along the coast Mangroves and TeaTree flower in winter .  We are also dealing with SHB. The combination of varroa and SHB sounds fantastic - give us Africanised bees and we have the perfect storm.16C as a day time temperature is seen as cold.I can find brood any time of the year - no brood break.I'm a very, very small beekeeper with about 50 hives and increasing to about 100 during Spring /summer. We produce about 4t of honey in a decent year and about 50 nuc's for sale.Beekeeping is just one of my hobbies.Age has slowed me down..Bursitis in both shoulders, arthritic  hand, a bad back.I'm busy with other activities..a large garden, orchard, cattle, writing a gardening newsletter, Plasma donation every two weeks, volunteering in Cambodia. Not forgetting family, children and grandchildren. Bottom line is, I may be better off selling the gear and hives while I can.
Michaels method is innovative and works for him. I doubt that it would work in a warm climate with no brood break and honey all year round.Add to this that we can't store used beegear in any practical way due to the dear wax moth. His area has not been affected by climate change, our part of the world has. And many other regions: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-07/brazil-greece-turkey-us-battle-climate-related-disasters/102825092Or maybe this is more convincing: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-13/climate-scientists-issue-warning-over-antarctic-sea-ice-levels/102849334
or this:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-26/antarctic-winter-sea-ice-hits-extreme-record-low/102903614

or this:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-05/nsw-new-record-warm-summer-september/102938932
WE need to find our way through the mess which is varroa.Michael who is obviously an experienced beekeeper ( he has thousands of hits, not sure if this is a measure of expertise, Kath has heaps of visits and I don't think she keeps even a handful of bees?) has found a successful; way to keep bees - good to see.I would like to see some published data for his method: number of losses over winter, honey yield and a comparison with "normal" hives. This is the way to learn, assess and move forward.
There was an interesting article in one of the two US beekeeping magazines I subscribe to about beekeeping in Cuba. I have to find the article again as the climate is similar and I seem to remember that Cuban beekeepers  are not using chemicals.Doing my research on varroa and Googling " varroa in the subtropics" or " varroa in warm climates" - very little of use turns up.
I hope that Australia does not follow  the US example as described by Charles Linder ( in ABJ)
The value of the honey crop in the US is about $ 371million https://www.statista.com/statistics/191993/value-of-honey-production-in-the-us/The value of pollination services keeps increasing and in the last season has past $ 200/hive for Almonds. ( Bee Culture)The return for pollination services has now exceeded the value of honey. https://www.ers.usda.gov/amber-waves/2018/july/driven-by-almonds-pollination-services-now-exceed-honey-as-a-source-of-beekeeper-revenue/
The value of pollination to the ag industry is huge file:///C:/Users/max/Downloads/ValueofHoneyBeesasPollinators-2000Report.pdf
In 2022, for the first time, the US has imported more food than it has exported.I wonder if this has any connection with varroa?Charles writes ( ABJ) that the honey crop as the portion of income " is typically less than 10%"
It is very likely that Australia will follow these trends - although with Coal, gas and Iron ore being some of our major exports the overall picture for exports will probably not change much.We do export crops which do need a pollinator ( Avo, Mangos and other fruits as well as dairy produce.
To summarise:- we have no brood break- some of our best flows are in winter- Wax moths are a huge issue - storage of used gear is near impossible- Chemicals used around the world are not ( yet) permitted in Australia

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #327 on: October 27, 2023, 10:14:31 am »
Cuba got to where they are by not treating.  I don't know what they actually have genetically in Cuba, but all the rest of the Caribbean that I've seen is Africanized.  They are workable, not as nice as I would like, but nice enough to be workable.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #328 on: October 27, 2023, 10:23:23 am »
"we can't store used beegear in any practical way due to the dear wax moth.""

There is a beekeeper in our neighboring Canada who places his beegear in a sealed refrigerated tractor trailer, runs them in sub freezing temperatures for a couple days and he is set. The trailer is sealed and no chance for wax moths to enter. Thus worry-free beegear storage.  Would this sort of setup be feasible for you Max?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #329 on: October 28, 2023, 01:32:24 pm »
 Max:
         Here are a number of different ways I have seen to store your supers to avoid wax moth destruction (not used myself over a whole season).   Wax moths hate sunlight and fresh air and
most of these solutions are cheap and easy.

https://duckduckgo.com/?hps=1&q=open+air+wax+moth+control&atb=v210-1&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUMg07FaVDas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEsf3RP-CeI  (start viewing at about 17 minutes)

The Backyard Beekeeper, By Kim Flottum (4th Edition)
jimmy

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #330 on: November 08, 2023, 11:43:08 pm »
This was on the ABC today on varroa:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2023-11-09/deadly-parasite-varroa-mite-behind-predicted-feral-bee-die-off/102905408

I have written to one of the researchers.

I have not come across much relevant information in regards to beekeeping with Varroa in my situation:
- no broodbreak
- honey pretty well all year
- at an age which limits lifting

I agree that most of the feral hives will be gone. I assume beekeepers with one or two hives will be former beekeepers too. Think FLOW hives.

Most honey producing beekeepers seem to be in the cold parts of the world and get their honey from crops like canola.
Large beekeepers in warmer climates seem to focus on pollination.
There is a reason why the USA is importing more honey than you produce.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #331 on: November 08, 2023, 11:52:23 pm »
Max:
         Here are a number of different ways I have seen to store your supers to avoid wax moth destruction (not used myself over a whole season).   Wax moths hate sunlight and fresh air and
most of these solutions are cheap and easy.

https://duckduckgo.com/?hps=1&q=open+air+wax+moth+control&atb=v210-1&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUMg07FaVDas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEsf3RP-CeI  (start viewing at about 17 minutes)

The Backyard Beekeeper, By Kim Flottum (4th Edition)

Sadly this will not work here.
In the past I have wrapped up lovely, drawn frames in heavy duty plastic bags ( they had lids in them) and sealed all the openings.
I place the supers with the frames in a large freezer ( we do homekills) for 48hrs to kill any eggs of wax moths.
I then store them in the coldest shed i have.
Opened the bags in spring  - hardly any wax left, just a mess.

The temp in the shed would never get to freezing - cold, yes, but obviously not cold enough.

I'm not the only one with Waxmoth problems here.

I much larger beekeeper stores his in a conatiner and uses a Phosphane ( i think it is called) bomb and he still has problems.
If you read up on this product...well, let's say, it is not what i would want to use.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #333 on: November 13, 2023, 06:36:19 am »
Sealing frames does not work at all unless you do something to kill the eggs.  Freezing works.  But if you can't do that then the best is lots of light and fresh air.  The more sealed up things are the worse the wax moths are.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #334 on: November 13, 2023, 06:57:27 am »
I did wrap AND FREEZE!
Wax moths did get in...no idea how

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #335 on: November 13, 2023, 07:16:40 am »
Sealing frames does not work at all unless you do something to kill the eggs.  Freezing works.  But if you can't do that then the best is lots of light and fresh air.  The more sealed up things are the worse the wax moths are.
I did wrap AND FREEZE!
Wax moths did get in...no idea how

You might have 'wrapped and froze' but apparently you didn't "SEAL" as Mr Bush instructed. The wax moth needs a very small place to enter and cause destruction.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #336 on: November 13, 2023, 07:17:51 am »
You have to freeze pretty cold and pretty long.  Like sub zero F and two days or more.  They don't die easily.  And the lesser wax moths can get into a very small opening...
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #337 on: November 13, 2023, 07:19:56 am »
Max see reply 328......

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #338 on: November 13, 2023, 08:45:57 am »
As I build up my supplies for beekeeping next year, I routed out a small freezer to help with the pesky wax moths. I expect that my neighbor and I will make good use of it. I appreciate everything that I am learning off of you guys and I am learning from your experiences.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #339 on: November 13, 2023, 08:24:26 pm »
I don't always have extended freezing temperatures over the winter, and I store my equipment in a garage that is pretty well insulated, so it rarely freezes in there.  What I do for wax moths is freeze all the frames for at least 48 hours.  I then store drawn blanks in my stacked boxes with mothballs (must be paradichlorobenzene, NOT naphthelene to be safe for bees) in the stack.  Frames that have even a little bit of pollen or honey on them I store in big plastic bins, because they seem very attractive to pests of all types (wax moths, beetles, mice, etc.).  I will occasionally get a few frames that are destroyed by something, but I have never lost a whole bin or stack this way.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

anything