Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to say to neighbors  (Read 3524 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: What to say to neighbors
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2020, 12:07:29 pm »
Seed casings?  Bees? 😊
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2020, 09:12:23 am »
Seed casings?  Bees? 😊

Bird see feeders.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2020, 12:35:07 pm »
I agree with many of the positions stated and recap the points I feel most important:

I would NOT advise your neighbors.
Keep up with inspections.
Have a water source.
Know the law for bees your areas; Follow the rules and you should be fine.
Out of sight, out of mind.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 02:14:33 pm »
I wouldn?t say a thing. Also think about flight path.

Offline So-apiary

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2020, 08:16:05 pm »
Wow!  Huge thanks to everyone who replied!  I'm glad I asked about this before I naively went and blabbed my intentions all over the neighborhood.  'Nuf said, I'll keep my big mouth shut.  However, the street I live on has nothing but brand new houses with hardly a tree in sight anywhere, so my hives will definitely be visible to anyone who looks.  There's no camouflaging them since everything is out in the open here.  I'm just gonna hope that the average Joe won't recognize a horizontal hive, since that's what I'll be using, instead of the typical Langstroth.

I checked the state and local laws here a few weeks ago and was assured that raising bees won't present a problem as far as ordinances or laws go as long as I don't sell bee products from my home, which would then cross into regulations for home businesses.  I'm lucky that everyone I spoke with was very friendly and freely shared all the information they could come up with.  One fellow has really been great and has gone out of his way to find resources for me.  Just today, he emailed me about a virtual beekeeping class being held next week.  Of course I signed up for it.  I've had a hard time getting much response from local beekeeping clubs because of Covid.  I keep asking if anyone is willing to do some virtual classes or meetings, but most of them don't even answer my emails or calls.  So I was especially glad to hear about the virtual class.

I do realize the importance of being a responsible beekeeper and want to do my best at that, for myself, the bees, and my neighbors.  Thank you all for being so helpful.  It's probably obvious how much I don't know about all this, so I'm especially grateful that I can come here and get answers to my questions, no matter how goofy they may be.  I'd dearly love to find a mentor so I could maybe get some hands-on experience before setting up my hive, but... well... Covid.  Everyone has battened down the hatches, no in-person mentoring to be had.  So thanks again for helping me out with such great and thoughtful answers.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2020, 11:40:18 pm »
So,
Keep checking. Some clubs are doing mentoring. The one in Jacksonville is.
I recommend you put up a 6? by 6? fence around the hive to conseal it since there are no natural bushes.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2020, 12:05:05 am »
Another good point Mr Jim. There has been 17 posters from different levels of experience, which have unanimously expressed the idea of keeping your bee business to yourself with many good points made as well.   
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2020, 12:24:45 am »
> Thank you all for being so helpful.  It's probably obvious how much I don't know about all this, so I'm especially grateful that I can come here and get answers to my questions, no matter how goofy they may be.  I'd dearly love to find a mentor so I could maybe get some hands-on experience before setting up my hive, but... well... Covid

First of all you are very welcome. It was just as obvious how much I did not know 29 months ago when I started posting here. these nice folks are more than helpful, they are in my eyes, friends. No question is goofy so ask away! Let me assure you, there is not a question that you may have that has not been ask by others, as we are are all learning together, even the experts. I feel sure and safe in saying, even the experts learn something from time to time. You may or may not find a mentor for hands on experience but rest assured, you have many mentors here who are more than ready and willing to help you, a fellow beekeeper, especially a new beekeeper as yourself. We want you to succeed! Wishing you well So-apiary.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2020, 12:44:29 am »
With regards to local regulations, be mindful of placement of the hives with regard to property boundaries.  For example, in Honolulu County where I live, a residential parcel may have up to 8 hives but theymust not be within 15 feet of a property line and have no direct view of any neighbors nighttime light sources, otherwise a 6' fence is required to block the light from the hives.  Stay within boundaries and regs to keep the law on your side.

That said, I would be mindful of the light sources at night with regard to the placement and/or orientation of your hives, if possible--especially if your neighbors are relatively close by.  They will have bees on their porch or garage lights if so which may stir up complaints and unwanted attention.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2020, 06:10:58 am »
You can spend weeks on YouTube. Everything from short clips of whatever to seminars and lectures. Lots to learn there. You might even see some members from here on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2020, 08:27:58 am »
  I'm just gonna hope that the average Joe won't recognize a horizontal hive, since that's what I'll be using, instead of the typical Langstroth.

Top bar or long lang? What kind of bees are you planing on getting?

And I totally agree with the advice given about not mentioning bees to /most/ neighbors. Different situation here since we have acreage, our 5 plus in laws 16. Exceptions have been the commercial pumpkin farm next door who have bees and a former neighbor who used to have bees many years ago. He still owns land touching ours so we see him occasionally.

Offline So-apiary

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2020, 05:07:38 am »
@BenFramed thanks so much for your kind words! Thank goodness there are still people in this world who are both smart and kind hearted enough to freely share their knowledge.

I did go down every federal,state,and local rabbit hole to make sure I'm keeping on the right side of the law. As long as I don't sell honey on my property, all is well.

I could camouflage my hive, but I can't think of a way to hide the veil and smoker.  Everyone knows what those mean!The first time I inspect the hive, the whole neighborhood will know what's up. No privacy here because of the lack of trees, and the land slopes in such a way as to give us all a clear view of each other's properties. As for bees on the neighbors' porch lights, there's no way I can think of to prevent that other than locking the bees up at night, which of course, is not possible or feasible.

Maybe I should be asking what to say to the neighbors when THEY bring it up, as I'm sure they eventually will. Would "Here, have some honey" be a good place to start?

@William Bagwell  It's going to be a long Lang with standard frames. The bees will be either Italians or Carniolans.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2020, 12:24:58 pm »
It is always a good idea to have a plan for what to do if a colony gets vicious.  It may never happen, but if it does it's best to move them immediately and then deal with the problem somewhere that bees aren't a problem (not close to neighbors).  This can also come in handy if they complain about your bees.  You can move them to the new location, leave a few empty boxes at the old location and if anyone comes to check if your bees are aggressive, there aren't any bees.  This is especially useful when the problem is yellow jackets or wasps.  It proves it's not your bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything