Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Shelf fungi (polypores)  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Shelf fungi (polypores)
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:13:01 am »
So, outside the other day, camera in tow.  I took some pictures of the shelf fungi (polypores) that are growing on the piece of timber, it is actually a birch (and I said that we didn't have birch growing on our property), well, I guess we had one.

This birch is alongside the chicken hill in the chickenyard.  The chickens love to climb on this timber and so now does the shelf fungi love to grow.  These are the fungi that are evidently great for fire starting and I have gathered for use in my smoker for this year.

We also have growing en masse alongside our ravine the larger shelf fungi.  They are the beautiful fungi that are white on the underside.  Many of them grow like about 6-8 inches across.  I draw pictures on these beautiful fungi.  My Daughters still have some from their childhood, so many years ago, that I drew for them, usually pictures of horses with the mountains in the background.

Polypores are common here, as I am sure are common many other places too, but these are so pretty.  These ones are very small and kind of wavy looking, enjoy.  Have a wonderful and great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Shelf fungi (polypores)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 01:39:21 pm »
Now all you need is some knick-knack fungi to put on your shelves!! :-D

I get a few of the little buggers on my cherry trees, decomposing the dead spots.  I don't appreciate them there...

Every once in the while when younger, we'd find one of the solitary shelf fungus that are about 2ft across.  Those are impressive!
Rick

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 09:44:23 am »
Thanks for the pic Cindi and for the memories you brought back.  We used to look for those in the woods when we were kids.  Would only pick the real big ones (found one 3 1/2 feet across!).

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 09:57:51 am »
Sean, so nice, I bet that big 3-1/2 foot one would have made a beautiful piece of canvas to perform some artwork, wow!!!!  Have the most awesome day, love our place on earth, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything