Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long to keep the Queen in a Queen cage?  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Bluegroper

• New Bee
How long to keep the Queen in a Queen cage?
« on: November 27, 2023, 04:06:32 am »
Hi.
I have just done my first cut out today, I had a swarm of bees take up residence in the wall of my house while I was away. I removed the comb with very little damage and placed it in frames with elastic bands. I was pleased to see plenty of larva and capped brood. I caught the Queen and placed her in a Queen cage inside the hive box with the frames and placed the hive box with the landing as close to the original entrance as possible, its about 10cm away. I also put a feeder frame in the box with 3lts of sugar syrup,  How long should I leave the Queen in the cage for?

Offline Bluegroper

• New Bee
How long to leave the Queen in a Queen cage.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 05:04:09 am »
Hi.
I have just done my first cut out today, I had a swarm of bees take up residence in the wall of my house while I was away. I removed the comb with very little damage and placed it in frames with elastic bands. I was pleased to see plenty of larva and capped brood. I caught the Queen and placed her in a Queen cage inside the hive box with the frames and placed the hive box with the landing as close to the original entrance as possible, its about 10cm away. I also put a feeder frame in the box with 3lts of sugar syrup,  How long should I leave the Queen in the cage for?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How long to leave the Queen in a Queen cage.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 06:09:00 am »
Three or four days should work.  You could also put an excluder in "includer" position so the queen can lay but she can't leave.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bluegroper

• New Bee
Re: How long to leave the Queen in a Queen cage.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 06:50:53 am »
Thank you.
I will do just as you suggest.

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
Re: How long to keep the Queen in a Queen cage?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 10:21:06 am »
If the bees are using the hive box put a queen excluder under the bottom box and turn her loose.
jimmy

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 10:16:14 am »
If you choose to use an excluder, similar to keeping the queen in a clip, do not leave the excluder on more than 3-4 days--it's used simply to keep them from absconding, ensuring they establish themselves in your hive.  If it's a virgin queen (e.g. secondary swarm), the excluder will prohibit her from going on mating flights and if left on the hive (either intentionally or forgotten) too long, she'll miss her mating window and be a drone layer.

Offline Bluegroper

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 07:04:08 pm »
Thanks for the advice guy's I did as suggested and everything went well, my wall bees are very happy in their new home.

anything