Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Concrete and beetles???  (Read 4359 times)

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
Re: Concrete and beetles???
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 07:12:53 pm »
Boom !!!
I'm finally getting some answers . Thanks everyone. I'm just a mechanic , not a biologist, chemists.  I believe that there is other circumstance that can effect. Certain type
Of insects and their breeding. Point I've grown gardens for years , I moved 45 miles 8 years ago , never had a problem growing squash- zucchini, now I can't. Not because of soil , but because of insects that thrive in certain conditions.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 07:52:55 pm »
Just thinking maybe their is away with ground control other than nematodes. ?  Just a thought

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 05:59:02 pm »
Mickey: I am just a mechanic.  Reply number 20.  Just a mechanic????  Now a days it take a genesis to work on an automobile.  Got to be a computer wiz kid and good with tools to understand these engines.

Now a days: I look under a hood of a car/truck and I am lucky if I can find the battery.  I have no idea what I am looking at when I raise the hood.  I used to work on my own vehicle: points plugs, condenser, easy back in the good ol days.

Now chemistry is easy compared to looking under the hood of a car.  But being a mechanic takes smarts, computer skills, problem solving, analytics, way way to complex for me.   Now a days: Chemistry is easy compared to being a mechanic!!

Just a mechanic you say,,,, like that is an easy thing.  I?ll take easy chemistry any day compared to these complicated ding dang automobile engines that I can?t make heads or tails of.  A mechanic is hard, chemistry is easy.  Mickey,,,, friend,,,, you got it backwards.  ?I am just a mechanic,?you are a most humble fella!!  Health to your bees!!

Van

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 06:17:03 pm »
Van , thanks for thoughts. Yes auto and diesels and boats. Now full time inboard,outboards and jet skis.
Electronics are pretty much (not always) predictable. When it comes to bee's with certain situations especially with different climate conditions are unpredictable.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2020, 06:24:35 pm »
And another thought, I can hook computer to a motor and get a pretty much possible cause of fault. I can't do that with bee's :grin:

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 06:55:32 pm »
Mr. Mickey, i was basically born into honey bees although I did not acquire my own hive until I was 13 years of age in the 1960s.  Today, My bees are just out my back door.  So what is my point?  I can walk by my hives and tell if there is an issue.  Not saying this absolute, I do get caught by surprise now and then.

My bees appear to recognize me.  I can?t figure this out as the bees have such a short life span, how can they know me?  My scientific mind says impossible.  But for certain, I am usually approached by no less than eight,8, bees that greet me when I walk my apiary which is every nice day, multiple times a day.  I can tell if they need something by persistent actions or lack thereof.  My scientific mind says impossible.  However, I am telling you what I see.  Not absolute mind you, but the bees talk, if ya listen.  They definitely communicate.
Health to your bees,

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2020, 08:12:33 pm »
Yes sir, they know me to. I wear shorts , flip flops, and short shirt . ball cap.  But always use safety clear glasses

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 05:45:56 pm »
I don't see any problem scientifically with them recognizing you.  A short life span may seem like a huge limiter, but note squid and octopus, both are quite short lived...but also quite intelligent.  We know that some birds can recognize different people, and give different calls to indicate if that person is a threat or not (so can critters like black footed ferrets).

Just because a hive mind may accomplish its "thinking" differently than us singular minded beasts, I find it not surprising that they can accomplish some of the same goals.

I will even go as far as to say they have emotions...maybe not the individual...but the hive itself.  they are grouchy some days, happy others. 

I am just not one that thinks Humans are all that special in these ways.  We may be farther developed in some ways, but that is all it is.

All creatures know pain, and all creatures know pleasure.  Without these two drives, life would fail.   

So might they be aware of the guy who takes care of them?  Absolutely!

Barry

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2020, 06:40:13 pm »
I believe alot has to do with human temperament. When I first started ,beek friend would rush through 10-12 hives and not be slow but fast doing inspections. By the time we got finished, u had to leave apiary, go to front yard and still got stung.