Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen cell question  (Read 1624 times)

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Queen cell question
« on: April 16, 2019, 11:05:12 am »
Ok here is my dilemma had a queen with a bad pattern culled her and put in a cell from another hive. She mated and started a nice pattern and now after checking yesterday they have 3 queen cells almost caped in a supersede position on a frame. So options I see is to split it  and let them regroup or jus let the supersede. This hive was a five frame and just never took off till after the cull. Now in a 10 with 1/2 super drawn out of honey. I am kind of leaning to the split and feed back up to strength. Suggestions
Thanks

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Queen cell question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:34:48 am »
Medic, I would question what happened to the queen with nice pattern to be supercededed so fast. Was she a injured during inspections or ball after inspections?????  To inspect a hive with a new queen can cause her to be balled and thus supercedure.  What is your take in this?

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 12:03:22 pm »
Jim had said this in another post so I made a effort not to inspect till 2 weeks after. She appeared to have all her legs and was not balled on my inspection yesterday. She was walking around the frame with a court in tow, she looked smaller but is a newer queen so I?m not sure.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 12:35:41 pm »
I would harvest queen cells and have a queen bank. Nice to have a few  queens around for future use.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Queen cell question
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 02:11:19 pm »
Ok here is my dilemma had a queen with a bad pattern culled her and put in a cell from another hive. She mated and started a nice pattern and now after checking yesterday they have 3 queen cells almost caped in a supersede position on a frame. So options I see is to split it  and let them regroup or jus let the supersede. This hive was a five frame and just never took off till after the cull. Now in a 10 with 1/2 super drawn out of honey. I am kind of leaning to the split and feed back up to strength. Suggestions
Thanks

A few thoughts and comments, and in this case as described also some suggestions of what I would do.

I will probably miss something but here goes. With supercedure cells the bees saying something, or maybe nothing. Maybe they are just bored and practicing. We do what we can to help them have the best queen but at some point there may be something they know that we do not.  Bees know much more about bees than we do. Bees will do things bees do.

We do know a few things. Bees initiate supercedure based on
- a queen that is injured or sick,
- or failing; meaning she is not laying enough or what she is laying are not viable,
- or she does not smell enough (pheromone) which can be from
 ... - she is old and not giving off enough smell
 ... - she has way too much room to roam in the hive and has gone for a walk away from the heart of the nest. Her pheromone presence is shared with the bees around her who, for a short period, may not reach every other bee tending the nest that she strolled away from. (I see this when extra brood boxes are added too soon.)
 ... - She is newly mated and just does not smell enough-YET. Later when she has all of her equipment sorted out and she is in full lay and stinking sufficiently the supercedure cells stop. With new queens the bees often start supercedure cells then tear them down and stop once they realize the queen is ramping up and doing well.

Based on what you describe, I think this is a case of the queen is just new and getting established. Here is what I would do.
 - the beekeeper is happy with the new queen performance
 - it is known she is a new queen
 - examine the queen very closely for signs of injury or deformity
 - if happy with how she looks, do not allow the supercedure. Destroy the cells and come back in one week. Give her some time to convince the bees that all is well with her.
 - if they keep trying to replace her, in following inspections, then allow it to happen.

Injury Example:  Once had a great queen. Laying up a storm. Awesome queen, great bees. But they kept trying to replace her each week. But Why?! (cry).  I discovered that although she was performing exceptionally at laying and producing great productive and gentle bees .... she had been injured at some point. Her two hind legs were paralyzed, dragged along. She was doing everything with only 4 legs. The bees knew this. I did not until I looked really really close. I left the hive with supercedure cells and put the crippled queen into a 5 frame nuc. I easily protected her in there and she became my best breeder queen, queen cell producer, for the rest of that summer.

Thoughts to ponder.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 03:25:49 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 03:08:32 pm »
One of the nice things about a supercedure is that the bees do not kill the old queen right away. This means you have 2 queens laying side by side. If they have enough bees, they can produce a lot of bees fast.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 07:23:15 pm »
Thanks honey pump
I will most likely make a nuc and keep her and let them make another as they?re got 3 nice cells going may steel on for another nuc. Being greedy.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 09:06:48 pm »
One of the nice things about a supercedure is that the bees do not kill the old queen right away. This means you have 2 queens laying side by side. If they have enough bees, they can produce a lot of bees fast.
Jim Altmiller
Jim how long will the Cohabitate

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 10:05:48 pm »
JT,
From what I hear, one to two months. I also hear about 30% of the hives in an Apiary have 2 queens.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 02:30:57 am »
Thanks honey pump
I will most likely make a nuc and keep her and let them make another as they?re got 3 nice cells going may steel on for another nuc. Being greedy.

A great plan, if there are plenty of bees to do so.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 06:32:45 pm »
Well did the deed, moved the queen and 2 frames of bees capped and a shake from a frame and added 3 drawn frames to it and 1:1 and pollen, put 2 drawn and culled all but 2 best capped cells and left them together. Will see how they do

anything