Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caught my first swarm of 2019.  (Read 9791 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Caught my first swarm of 2019.
« on: February 27, 2019, 08:12:37 am »
I received a call on Sunday that bees were moving into a house. I was on the road at the time heading home so I told him it would take a while but I would be there that afternoon. As I was loading up my truck he called and said that all of the bee activity stopped. I knew a bad storm was heading his way because I had just driven through it. I told him it was probably scouts checking out his house and they really liked it. He wanted me to come any way and would pay for the visit. I told him we needed to seal up the 2 areas the bees were going in. Some were trying to go into connected brick columns in the front and some were going into the brick chimney in the back. He sent me these 2 pictures.

I went there and sure enough the bees were not there. We agreed that I would setup swarm traps. As sooner were they set, the scouts started coming back. It was still very cloudy and getting late so I was not expecting a swarm that night. We agreed that I should seal up the 2 areas real tight and he agreed to the additional price. I worked until sun set and sealed up both places. He only had part of the money so I told him I could get the rest when I came back. On Monday he called and sent me a picture of bees bearding on the Nuc. I went there that evening and picked them up. Bare in mind he and his wise are deathly afraid of bees. He told me he didn?t have the rest of the money so we agreed I would get it when I picked up the second trap.
The next morning I received the following message.

I was talking to my wife last night and we felt that because you were able to get a colony that we could maybe waive the other 40. I felt I didn?t communicate effectively that we didn?t have more than the 60 I gave you originally and I was only prepared for the initial cost you told me over the phone. Also, if you want the other hive to stay I feel it?s only fair that we get payment for use of the land in potential of attracting more bees. Something to think about. I know you all will get product from them so I think the initial price we discussed would be more than fine. Thank you.

I still haven?t answered him. I?m still pretty T-ed.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Caught my first swarm of 2019.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 09:20:33 am »
Crooks, crooks, and more crooks. I know this wouldn't be ethical, but for fun thinking, What if you were to go back, un-seal the first two holes, add a drop or two of leamon grass at each entrance (as a deterrent), :wink:    Open the catch box, woops make an effort as to trip, flip it upside down and then give it a good shake, hollering,  RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! Say so long, Mr Crook!
Now,  I wouldn't do this and I'm not suggesting it but wouldn't that be funny!!  :grin:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:31:23 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 10:08:17 am »
Ben is close, but wrong. Go and pick up your box so it doesn't get destroyed. Tell him he agreed to the price beforehand. Since he thinks the bees are so valuable, you will unseal the openings and release the queen into one of them.The other bees will follow her and he can reap all the profits from the colony.
I have done this a few times and always received my money. PRONTO
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 10:58:20 am »
Ben is close, but wrong. Go and pick up your box so it doesn't get destroyed. Tell him he agreed to the price beforehand. Since he thinks the bees are so valuable, you will unseal the openings and release the queen into one of them.The other bees will follow her and he can reap all the profits from the colony.
I have done this a few times and always received my money. PRONTO

Ha haa, yes, releasing the queen into the opening will be a sure thing. I was hypothetically, jokingly. relying on her to go there voluntarily following the scent of the leamongrass oil. (After the accident of the dropped box), Your right iddee if we are to do it, do it right !!  :wink:   It is sad that there are crooks like this. We can deal with 20 good folks and one crook can put a bad tast in the mouth and attempt to ruin our wonderful day. Be of good cheer Jim. We know who is our keeper. It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 11:45:02 am »
Jim, sorry you have to deal with such people.  You were honest, you proposed solution at agreed price.  You carry out your end of the agreement and now the fella holds back money with irrationally as justification.

I am sorry you have to deal with this sort of thing, Jim.  I would be Xxxxx off too.  It is the principle:  agreement, conduct work according and then get in the back.  Yes Sir, I would be xxx.

Jim, Let us know what you decide.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 12:40:06 pm »
BF, the difference is, you said do it. I said threaten and get your money, but keep the bees.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 03:08:56 pm »
Jim, that's really sad. People like that don't go far in this life - life has a way of dealing with them.

Congrats on the swarm though.  :grin:

Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 03:31:47 pm »
I would take all the bees and shake them out in front of their door and leave...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 04:34:55 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I will probably compose an answer tonight and send it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 05:04:39 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I will probably compose an answer tonight and send it.
Jim

Don't take me literally Jim, I was kidding as an effort to cheer you up.  :happy:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 05:08:15 pm »
Nah. When something like this happens, I take my time responding. I wait until I cool down. Then I responded in a nice but direct way.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 05:10:22 pm »
I would take all the bees and shake them out in front of their door and leave...

That is a good one, Mr. Bush, short and sweet justice.  You forgot one thing though......ring the doorbell.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 05:12:49 pm »

That is a good one, Mr. Bush, short and sweet justice.  You forgot one thing though......ring the doorbell.
:cheesy:
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 08:53:09 pm »
Here is my reply.

I don?t know why you think that you should not pay me as agreed before I started sealing up the bee areas. If I had not done that, you would probably end up having bees in your brick work. Removing bees from brick is expensive . After the Beek removes the bees and all of the comb, you would then have to hire a bricklayer to restore the bricks. Total costs would exceed $1000.
As far as charging for having the swarm trap on your property, the reason for that is to catch the next swarm in the trap instead of them moving into your house.
I will pick up the trap.

There are not a lot of beeks around here that will do bee removals from brick. If he ever calls me for a removal, it will be expensive and payment will be up front.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 08:56:12 pm »
I have pick up the second swarm trap tomorrow.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 09:59:18 pm »
Sorry Jim, the more and more I do cutouts and hives and cost to travel to get them it adds up.  I was trying to get gas money for swarms, but have been getting volunteer Hours for some others, I do love mr bush?s Answer.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 12:03:30 am »
That was very good Jim. You handled it in a gentlemanly way. Well done.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 12:26:57 am »
I received a text from him this evening. He said he will pay the $40 when we pick up the second swarm trap.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 12:28:12 am »
I received a text from him this evening. He said he will pay the $40 when we pick up the second swarm trap.
Jim

You handled it right Jim.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 12:35:02 am »
 :happy:
Thanks.
Ben Franklin