Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Raised bed disaster  (Read 3566 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Raised bed disaster
« on: September 06, 2018, 12:05:55 am »
Due to health problems and business issues the raised bed were duefully planted and left to the wild.
Not much good happened.
Now I have weeds, horse grass, stuff I've never seen in the beds. 
I'd like to kill all this out naturally as possible.  I was thinking of putting clear plastic (like a drop cloth) and let the solar kill out the plant and seeds.
Has anyone had any luck with this idea.  I know you can clear yards with this technique but not a raised bed.  Need to kill seeds too I suppose.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Raised bed disaster
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 04:36:37 am »
Dr Jamie Ellis from the University of Florida once gave a speach about doing exactly what you are talking about. I think he left it on for a month or more to kill everything including the nematodes. I think there is a complete Wright up on his website.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 04:56:07 am »
Here is his website.
https://ifas.ufl.edu/

Try using a computer to do the search. I did not find it using my iPhone.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 08:22:55 am »
I can't imagine you will be able to sterilize all the seeds.  If the weeds and grasses still have the seeds on the plant the best way to kill them is with a torch.
Next year just let them germinate and get two inches high and till or pull them.  Do it twice then plant your vegetables.  This will let your vegetables get a foot hold before the wind blows more weed seeds into your garden.  This is a raised bed so you should be planting close shading out the weeds.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 11:06:01 am »
I would use thick black plastic.  That would heat up the soil more than the clear and would kill more of the seeds.  There is a weed killer recipe floating around the web using vinegar and dawn dishwashing soap.  I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it works.