Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cold Weather  (Read 1951 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Cold Weather
« on: March 14, 2017, 05:41:16 pm »
How will this cold snap affect the spring flow? Clover was blooming out, several flowering trees were blooming out, and the wisteria and wild mustard was also. Does anyone know if the clover will take 20 something degree cold? I know the tree blooms will die along with everything else.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Cold Weather
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:50:16 pm »
It's a craP shoot. With all the warm weather I had this winter. I can't aford anymore losses . I'm down to 6 hives from 45 last July.

John

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:48:47 pm »
How will this cold snap affect the spring flow? Clover was blooming out, several flowering trees were blooming out, and the wisteria and wild mustard was also. Does anyone know if the clover will take 20 something degree cold? I know the tree blooms will die along with everything else.
I have white clover all over my yard. I have had some heavy frost covering it and the next day it looks great.
A lot of trees will reset their buds a second time if the first set is lost to frost. Sometimes it is good for the bees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 01:59:49 pm »
So far the only thing to suffer loss was a few grape leaves that were out. Tonight is the cold night of mid 20's though. I am going to wrap my fig tree up and hope for the best.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 08:30:32 am »
I'm down to 6 hives from 45 last July.
WOW John.  Just curious do you treat for mites?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 02:08:25 pm »
We were single digits the other 2 nights after having temps up to seventy and pollen coming in just recently.

If they have some food, a little cool spell like you are experiencing won't hurt much.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 12:24:36 am »
We have been going down in the 30s at night and 70s during the day. I saw a dead drone out on the landing board today. I quest the bees thought it was too early to allow them in the hive. It had no sign of any defects, no mites on it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 06:35:48 pm »
I'm down to 6 hives from 45 last July.
WOW John.  Just curious do you treat for mites?

No mite problem. got hurt last july and have not been phisicaly able to work the hives. all was fine going into winter. had a friend check the hives. they had good stores and no.s. then we had what was suppose to be a winter. temps so warm that they never stopped growing with no flow on. they went thru stores and all the extra frames I had put up for emergency feeding. then they started absconding.leaving perfectly clean hives. just mother nature pulling cruel trick on me this year will I'm down.

john

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 09:09:59 pm »
John I have lost two out of three.  Sounds like a repeat of last year.  I am hoping 3 is the magic number and the one will survive.  We just had a record breaking Nor Easter.  With the two dead outs I have plenty of stores to give to the remaining hive but timing and temperature has to be right.  I hope I don't screw it up.  I am praying that your shoulder heals just fine.\

I am wearing a pair of glasses that are 15 years old b ecause my 5 year old glasses broke.  If none of this makes sense I plead tyhe fifth.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 10:02:00 pm »
that's OK. i'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other. lost my glasses 25 years ago.

:tongue: :tongue: :cool: :wink:

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 10:11:26 pm »
It is said the eyes are the second thing a man loses with age. I feel for you both.   :shocked:   :grin:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 02:24:29 pm »
yea lost the first one 7 years after I got married .

:shocked: :shocked: :tongue: :wink:

anything