Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can my bees starve to death with me feeding them?  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Charles Wright

• House Bee
Can my bees starve to death with me feeding them?
« on: April 27, 2022, 04:25:21 pm »
I've had bees for a year now. Started with two hives. Around September of last year one hive had no eggs, larvae and shotgun pattern brood. The hive eventually died. A friend from my bee club went through them with me and said the last of them starved to death. How does that happen with me feeding them? Thanks.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Re: Can my bees starve to death with me feeding them?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 06:54:49 pm »
May be the hive went queenless, for what ever reason. No eggs makes me suspicious.
How long between September and reinspection by bee club member?

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Can my bees starve to death with me feeding them?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 06:57:56 pm »
I've had bees for a year now. Started with two hives. Around September of last year one hive had no eggs, larvae and shotgun pattern brood. The hive eventually died. A friend from my bee club went through them with me and said the last of them starved to death. How does that happen with me feeding them? Thanks.
Just a Fall hive that had an old or sick queen that died in winter or a Fall queenless hive gone laying worker situation. It happens. No they did not starve.  With no new bees being developed the population dwindled to the point that the few bees left eventually died from exposure, they simply got cold and died.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Charles Wright

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 10:10:54 am »
The reinspection was last week. Thanks for the info.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 06:14:48 pm »
When you find a hive that died of starvation, the bees left in the hive usually all have their heads in cells, trying to get the last bit of food.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 10:36:44 pm »
When you find a hive that died of starvation, the bees left in the hive usually all have their heads in cells, trying to get the last bit of food.
Jim Altmiller

Yes I agree, if the circumstances are as you describe Beemaster 2 .
In the Spring a year or so ago, I had this very experience with at least two hives.  We live and learn as we go, while hoping along the way we will heed the warnings and good advise given by our experienced friends here.
So; Charles do not be discouraged, it will all come together,,,,,,,,,,

But: considering the following by you Charles and further down, TheHoneyPump deserves tuned in consideration also.

Just a Fall hive that had an old or sick queen that died in winter or a Fall queenless hive gone laying worker situation. It happens. No they did not starve.  With no new bees being developed the population dwindled to the point that the few bees left eventually died from exposure, they simply got cold and died.

Charles you have been given good mentorship advice by both of our fellow member beekeepers. You will need to evaluate your situation and see which fits your circumstances.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Charles Wright

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 11:13:41 am »
Thanks everyone. This was a hard lesson. I feel terrible. I'm going to be a lot more diligent this year.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 08:03:23 pm »
Thanks everyone. This was a hard lesson. I feel terrible. I'm going to be a lot more diligent this year.

Don't feel bad.  We lost a hive last year that I had thought was doing great.  Early swarm pick up with a good queen.  I got sidetracked and didn't get into it for a while.  One day I notice that there were not many bees flying and sure enough, we'd lost the queen and the hive had gone down.  s

We have been doing this for years.  I know better than to let a hive go so long without checking.  I felt bad too and there was no excuse. 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 03:12:23 am »

Don't feel bad.  We lost a hive last year that I had thought was doing great.  Early swarm pick up with a good queen.  I got sidetracked and didn't get into it for a while.  One day I notice that there were not many bees flying and sure enough, we'd lost the queen and the hive had gone down.  s

We have been doing this for years.  I know better than to let a hive go so long without checking.  I felt bad too and there was no excuse.

It has happened to me also Kathy. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger lol
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 10:15:11 am »
If they die with their heads in the cells it just means that they were clustering when they died.  That's how they cluster.  With their heads in the cells.  Bees do starve easily in the spring because once brood rearing starts they are burning through stores at an exponentially growing rate.  They burn a frame of honey and a frame of pollen for every frame of brood they raise.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin