Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cold Weather and Ventilation Experiment  (Read 4981 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Cold Weather and Ventilation Experiment
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2022, 10:00:13 pm »
So far I do not see that you have. lol
No, their exoskeletons are not identical, as that of the bee. Huge Point.  According to Dr Samuel Ramsey OAV attacks the foot of the mite because of its 'softness' which is a weakness as far as OAV and part of the varroas' 'softer' exoskeleton.. 
OAV build up to resistance:
Again I have read just the opposite as this question has supposedly been answered and put to rest by years of research resulting in data from all over the world. Has this changed?
Perhaps I'm the one with older information.  My sources are Randy Oliver and the Apibioxal website.  Do you have a link to the Ramsey information?  I'd like to take a look at it.  Is it buried in that big varroa presentation video of his?  Because I've never watched the whole thing.  I really should.  It's just SO long.  :sad: 

When temperatures drop to 23?F 'or below', the bees on 'the inside' of the cluster begin 'vibrating their wing muscles' to generate heat, which aids in bringing up the 'internal core' temperature of the cluster. The bees along the outer shell of the cluster 'remain motionless', acting as a 'layer of insulation'. i.e.

I understand clearly your and Nigels' point that the inner cluster will maintain a steady warm temperature. I share that point.
But not the outer limits of that cluster, they do not do that even in a safe buttoned down hive. We are not talking a buttoned down hive but a hive that is exposed to extreme elements of nature.

I see no use in going deeper in the open air hive that was just and good example. But In my case the outside temperature of that cluster inside of the box 'was' 'or near' 16F because of the wind tunneling drafting effect being a steady pull as that of being placed inside a wind tunnel, which no longer offers element and weather protection, nor the ability build to build up warmth in the 'inner space' of the hive because of the gaped open top of hive box and the draft of 'steady' pull from the complete unrestricted opening of bottom. Because of this, unrestrained, below freeing temperatures for weeks at a time are allowed to reach the outer edge of the cluster itself. This can not be denied Physics will not allow. The outer bees 'will' in this senecio, have below freezing air touching their bodies. The air is no longer trapped and siting, as in buttoned down hive set ups.

Fresh, New, 'Freezing' air will be a 'steady' flow 'racing' throughout the hive no matter how warm it is below the protective 'insulation bees'. 'Like Rudolph in the blizzard' the bees of the outer edge of the cluster will have freezing air hitting them steady. lol  Will not the mites attached as well?

That is the very reason they slowly rotate positions inside the cluster. They can only live so long while siting motionless with 16 degree air hitting them.  And make no mistake, the outer bees of the cluster did deal with it and survive in my experiment just as I am describing now.

I do not know if the attached mites will be able to deal with it. And that question 'is' the point in question. lol
So the same original question, will the freezing air hitting the bees in such a senecio, kill the varroa mites which are attached to the bee when it is their turn to do outer cluster duty? I do not know.

Oh let me add, as far as burning up vast amounts of food or fuel; This hive 'did not' have the added food nor the support of mountain camp on top for extra food. In fact they had no more reserve stores than any of my hives that I 'did' add mountain camp.
 :grin:
I think I understand where we are differing in our ideas of this concept.  I don't doubt for a second that there was 16F air in the ventilated hive.  What I doubt is that the bees were 16F themselves, because if they were they'd be dead.  My concern is that regardless of the air temp, the live bees will keep the varroa warm.  Many of the varroa are nestled between the bees abdominal segments or on the underside of their bodies, and not just sitting exposed on their thoraxes, and if they are, I don't know why they wouldn't move to a warmer location on the bees as it gets cold.  For that matter, do we even know if the varroa don't crawl on the bees toward the center of the cluster?  I just thought of that right now.  Maybe the mantle bees (the bees on the outside of the cluster) don't have mites on them at all?  :shocked:  Supposing for the moment that there are varroa on the bees in the cluster's mantle, I'm doubting whether the extremely cold environment will affect the mites if it doesn't affect the bees.  See what I'm getting at?       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2022, 11:02:13 pm »
The15thMember
What I doubt is that the bees were 16F themselves, because if they were they'd be dead.

The bees on the outer edge of the hive were most definitely exposed to 16 degrees and below freezing for weeks at a time as we now both agree. How long will the cold blooded bee on 'insulation duty' lay dormant as a shield of insulation with sixteen degrees F howling on them while clinging too and 'protecting' the outer cluster? I do not know. Long enough for the bee to die?  No?  Long enough for the mite too die?  I do 'not' know? I do not think anyone else knows either as of yet?

Do mites disengage from their host bee, (which is their single source of shelter and food) while the bee is slowly 'creeping' to the outer cluster for cluster duty? Then attach to another bee for food and shelter? Damaging yet another bee as well? I do not know as of yet, I do not think anyone else does either. How long does it take for the rotation cycle to make a completed rotation?  From cluster duty bee then back to the center of the cluster then back again? Again I do not know. These questions along with the other good questions you ask can only be answered with scientific study, experimentation, and research..  So far can we agree? 

We 'do know' my hive did not die. Even though they had every logical excuse to die according to 'Hunan reasoning and logic'. We are not speaking of human logic here, We are speaking of nature and its laws, rules and logic.

I think we both can agree that this is an experiment that may well be worth conducing by some University or Institution? IF one has not already been conducted?  So where does it leave We two bee friends and class mates? Lol
Where does this leave TheHoneyPumps', (good suggestion of possible cold to control varroa destructor? I again do not know until research has been conducted on this matter.  Its only a theory until proven other wise.

The only thing my little experiment did prove is; Bees can, will, and have survived in my weather conditions as described above in other replies, which to 'me' seem extreme for a bee to survive. My area of last winters weather, in my humble opinion is a place of a happy medium. I also think this hive surviving is a good foundation of groundwork for a researcher to at least take a look? That is if one is interested enough and so inclined to do so? If the experiment is done outdoors, the further North the experiment the better, up to a point, as the extended exposed temperatures can be easily monitored and controlled with just a little imagination in the process by placing the hive indoors with a controlled temperature setting. (Open windows and doors when feasible and (fossil fuel controlled)   :wink:   when not.

These questions that you and I are asking are added reasons why this may make an interesting research paper for someone in that field. On these things can we agree?

Thanks,

Phillip
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 11:32:57 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2022, 12:12:13 am »
The15thMember
What I doubt is that the bees were 16F themselves, because if they were they'd be dead.

The bees on the outer edge of the hive were most definitely exposed to 16 degrees and below freezing for weeks at a time as we now both agree. How long will the cold blooded bee on 'insulation duty' lay dormant as a shield of insulation with sixteen degrees F howling on them while clinging too and 'protecting' the outer cluster? I do not know. Long enough for the bee to die?  No?  Long enough for the mite too die?  I do 'not' know? I do not think anyone else knows either as of yet?

Do mites disengage from their host bee, (which is their single source of shelter and food) while the bee is slowly 'creeping' to the outer cluster for cluster duty? Then attach to another bee for food and shelter? Damaging yet another bee as well? I do not know as of yet, I do not think anyone else does either. How long does it take for the rotation cycle to make a completed rotation?  From cluster duty bee then back to the center of the cluster then back again? Again I do not know. These questions along with the other good questions you ask can only be answered with scientific study, experimentation, and research..  So far can we agree? 

We 'do know' my hive did not die. Even though they had every logical excuse to die according to 'Hunan reasoning and logic'. We are not speaking of human logic here, We are speaking of nature and its laws, rules and logic.

I think we both can agree that this is an experiment that may well be worth conducing by some University or Institution? IF one has not already been conducted?  So where does it leave We two bee friends and class mates? Lol
Where does this leave TheHoneyPumps', (good suggestion of possible cold to control varroa destructor? I again do not know until research has been conducted on this matter.  Its only a theory until proven other wise.

The only thing my little experiment did prove is; Bees can, will, and have survived in my weather conditions as described above in other replies, which to 'me' seem extreme for a bee to survive. My area of last winters weather, in my humble opinion is a place of a happy medium. I also think this hive surviving is a good foundation of groundwork for a researcher to at least take a look? That is if one is interested enough and so inclined to do so? If the experiment is done outdoors, the further North the experiment the better, up to a point, as the extended exposed temperatures can be easily monitored and controlled with just a little imagination in the process by placing the hive indoors with a controlled temperature setting. (Open windows and doors when feasible and (fossil fuel controlled)   :wink:   when not.

These questions that you and I are asking are added reasons why this may make an interesting research paper for someone in that field. On these things can we agree?

Thanks,

Phillip
I absolutely agree.  There are far more questions than answers here.  Which isn't surprising, I guess; we are talking about bees after all!  :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2022, 12:54:53 am »
The15thMember
I absolutely agree.  There are far more questions than answers here.  Which isn't surprising, I guess; we are talking about bees after all!  :grin:

Haa haa so true!  lol  :wink:  :grin:

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Cold Weather and Ventilation Experiment
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2022, 01:09:49 am »
This podcast is a good discussion on the topic. I do neither so far, but if I did, I?d be on the hive top insulation. I do insulate the top in the summer sometimes.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/two-bees-in-a-podcast/id1494010558?i=1000513567319

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2022, 02:47:47 am »
30 thanks for joining the conversation.
I have used regular flat hive tops. I have used the same with 2" foam between the flat top and hive also during both winter and summer months. I went back to plain flat tops with mountain camp added between for a moisture barrier and well as food source during winter months. I liked this method so much better so I repeated it again past winter with each hive, except for the experimental hive we have been talking about here.

Was one method more positive than the other? For me no. I can say I have lost very few bee hives in the winter months and I contribute that to the saying beesnweeds commented above. "Ive overwintered hives both ways with no problems.  For me it comes down to low mites/diseases, food stores, and first year queens." I totally agree! Except I have not transformed to first year queens yet. I do intend too. I like his reasoning on that.

So far, for me the flat top with mountain camp added is by far, my go to choice. However, I try to keep an open mind to learning different methods which may seem reasonable.

One thing I learned from this experimental hive is, I will no longer be concerned of heat loss from within the hive and I will not consider spending money for insulation hives in my area (as I once was thinking of doing). I no longer see the need.
But thats just me. There are so many ways of doing things and accomplishing success in beekeeping. I will agree with the beekeepers which have said there are different methods of achieving success in beekeeping.... I find It's true...

Phillip

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2022, 06:42:26 pm »
BF
Big decision to make on one hive in one season.
I would like to see the result of 100 hives with an open lid and 100 sealed insulated hives. Then look at the results.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2022, 08:42:28 pm »
BF
I would like to see the result of 100 hives with an open lid and 100 sealed insulated hives. Then look at the results.
It's true.  One experiment does not a field trial make. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2022, 09:31:39 pm »
BF

Be my guest. 
But, why would you want too? There are no varroa concerns in Australia? As I repeatedly explained throughout my post (plural), on this topic as follows:  I will place a little recap.......  I hope this helps....   :grin:

BF

Nor have I suggested this one little experiment does make a field trial. On the contrar.  I suppose it is apparent the reason for this little experiment has been totally lost...  I had hoped this little experiment would have been met with the merit in which it was intended, for the sake of sharing learned information. No more or no less. Therefore I will "attempt" a little recap.

>"I tried it on a 'single' 'sacrificial' hive for the sake of learning."

>"I am posting a picture of that hive and its top and the ventilation pebble which is still in place. I am happy to say the hive is thriving!"

>"This experiment was made for the sake of learning Im not suggesting anyone else try it."

>I do not look for this to go anywhere.

>"Speaking of mites and the primary reason for this experiment and post;

> (When replying to HoneyPump) "This post is simply a suggestion that your theory of cold vs Varroa may very well prove to be worth a try. At least the ground work has been laid for the sake of experimentation.. As stated above I only wish I had done a mite count going into winter. Honestly, I did not expect this hive to survive.""

>"We had a colder than usual winter here with many days not rising above freezing for weeks at a time. The coldest that I recall this winter was 16F. I did not expect this experimental hive to survive for this simple reason of "added ventilation".

>"As I stated,I am in no way or by no means suggesting anyone try this. As I stated earlier. This experiment is a result of the conversation we had concerning heat in relation to controlling Varroa mites. You had suggested cold instead of heat."

>I posted this for the sake of any who might be interested and inquisitive with open minds seeking advancement in newer ways of treating mites.[/color][/b] A direct contrast in heat treatment for mites which many seem to think might be worth while, including some of our members here. It would take someone with influence to spin this into research.
I don't know that its worth while to do so. So their it is for what its worth..
:grin: "

>"Remember, for many years the 'ENTIRE' scientific community 'as a whole' 'totally' and 'wholly' accepted that varroa lived off of 'bee blood'. It took outside of the box thinking, plus a bold researcher seeking the answers to simple out of the box questions to disprove the accepted myth. Dr Samuel Ramsey. I think it is very possible that cold might very well be an enemy and weakness to Varroa Destructor."

>"Well said beesnweeds..... especially the, "For me it comes down to low mites/diseases, food stores, and first year queens.", part. All good points IMHO."

>"Like Rudolph in the blizzard' the bees of the outer edge of the cluster will have freezing air hitting them steady. lol  Will not the mites attached as well?" I do not know...

>"Also reminding, AR Beekeeper described a survival 'open air' without any protection except the over hang of a bluff, which 'no doubt' handled much lower below freezing temperatures and howling winds than my little hive did."

>"Though SHB have a hard exoskeleton, even they struggle in the far North in places of Ian Steppler and TheHoneyPump. We are now speaking of a cold treatment to the soft exoskeleton of Varroa Destructor which may be his weakness? Just food for thought."

>"My bees handled what was described earlier. "many days not rising above freezing for 'weeks' at a time. The coldest that I recall this winter was 16F . I did not expect this experimental hive to survive"

>"So the same original question, will the freezing air hitting the bees in such a senecio, kill the varroa mites which are attached to the bee when it is their turn to do outer cluster duty? I do not know." 

> "I also think this hive surviving is a good foundation of groundwork for a researcher to at least take a look?"

>"I think we both can agree that this is an experiment that may well be worth conducing by some University or Institution? IF one has not already been conducted?" "That is if one is interested enough and so inclined to do so?"

Phillip
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 10:04:53 pm by Ben Framed »

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2022, 10:47:53 pm »
BF

Be my guest. 
But, why would you want too? There are no varroa concerns in Australia? As I repeatedly explained throughout my post (plural), on this topic as follows:  I will place a little recap.......  I hope this helps....   :grin:

BF

Nor have I suggested this one little experiment does make a field trial. On the contrar.  I suppose it is apparent the reason for this little experiment has been totally lost...  I had hoped this little experiment would have been met with the merit in which it was intended, for the sake of sharing learned information. No more or no less. Therefore I will "attempt" a little recap.

>"I tried it on a 'single' 'sacrificial' hive for the sake of learning."

>"I am posting a picture of that hive and its top and the ventilation pebble which is still in place. I am happy to say the hive is thriving!"

>"This experiment was made for the sake of learning Im not suggesting anyone else try it."

>I do not look for this to go anywhere.

>"Speaking of mites and the primary reason for this experiment and post;

> (When replying to HoneyPump) "This post is simply a suggestion that your theory of cold vs Varroa may very well prove to be worth a try. At least the ground work has been laid for the sake of experimentation.. As stated above I only wish I had done a mite count going into winter. Honestly, I did not expect this hive to survive.""

>"We had a colder than usual winter here with many days not rising above freezing for weeks at a time. The coldest that I recall this winter was 16F. I did not expect this experimental hive to survive for this simple reason of "added ventilation".

>"As I stated,I am in no way or by no means suggesting anyone try this. As I stated earlier. This experiment is a result of the conversation we had concerning heat in relation to controlling Varroa mites. You had suggested cold instead of heat."

>I posted this for the sake of any who might be interested and inquisitive with open minds seeking advancement in newer ways of treating mites.[/color][/b] A direct contrast in heat treatment for mites which many seem to think might be worth while, including some of our members here. It would take someone with influence to spin this into research.
I don't know that its worth while to do so. So their it is for what its worth..
:grin: "

>"Remember, for many years the 'ENTIRE' scientific community 'as a whole' 'totally' and 'wholly' accepted that varroa lived off of 'bee blood'. It took outside of the box thinking, plus a bold researcher seeking the answers to simple out of the box questions to disprove the accepted myth. Dr Samuel Ramsey. I think it is very possible that cold might very well be an enemy and weakness to Varroa Destructor."

>"Well said beesnweeds..... especially the, "For me it comes down to low mites/diseases, food stores, and first year queens.", part. All good points IMHO."

>"Like Rudolph in the blizzard' the bees of the outer edge of the cluster will have freezing air hitting them steady. lol  Will not the mites attached as well?" I do not know...

>"Also reminding, AR Beekeeper described a survival 'open air' without any protection except the over hang of a bluff, which 'no doubt' handled much lower below freezing temperatures and howling winds than my little hive did."

>"Though SHB have a hard exoskeleton, even they struggle in the far North in places of Ian Steppler and TheHoneyPump. We are now speaking of a cold treatment to the soft exoskeleton of Varroa Destructor which may be his weakness? Just food for thought."

>"My bees handled what was described earlier. "many days not rising above freezing for 'weeks' at a time. The coldest that I recall this winter was 16F . I did not expect this experimental hive to survive"

>"So the same original question, will the freezing air hitting the bees in such a senecio, kill the varroa mites which are attached to the bee when it is their turn to do outer cluster duty? I do not know." 

> "I also think this hive surviving is a good foundation of groundwork for a researcher to at least take a look?"

>"I think we both can agree that this is an experiment that may well be worth conducing by some University or Institution? IF one has not already been conducted?" "That is if one is interested enough and so inclined to do so?"

Phillip
I hope what I said didn't come across as offensive to you, Phillip.  My comment wasn't intended to slight your discovery, I was merely reinforcing our earlier comments about how there is the potential for more research to be done in this area.  A larger scale experiment like Oldbeavo mentioned would be a good start.  That's all.     

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2022, 11:03:02 pm »
No offense taken my friend... I think it has been a good discussion. My eyes were opened by doing The Experiment.
As I said before. My first winter I was actually scared that all of my hives would freeze! My first bees did not come easy but by cutouts in the blistering hot sun! That fear is especially now, gone with the wind. lol  I really hope this topic can help others as well which might have this same fear, especially new beekeepers.

But even more so, I would like, out or 'respect' for TheHoneyPump, find answer to if we can actually detour varroa by cold. He has given SO much to Beemaster. Remember the long intensive article he placed here with you and your bees in mind. That was a work of Art. I will say that is the very best article on varroa destructor I have EVER read. Not to mention the good pictures added.

We will never know unless an interested researcher takes the reins. Who Knows? 🤷‍♂️

Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2022, 12:36:20 pm »
Considering the importance of ventilation; In his most recent video titled: Our Colonies Are Producing Toxic Honey!!? A viewer ask Bob Binnie about one edge of his tops being propped open. Mr Binnie is always quoting other beekeepers so I feel certain he will not mind me quoting him.

Phillip

"Hi Randell. We often prop up the lid on robust colonies going into the warm season for extra ventilation. Oddly enough, it also helps with swarming."
Bob Binnie

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2022, 08:10:17 pm »
HP
Very good article, puts hive survival and insulation into a controlled situation.
The weight of the hive for survival is also interesting.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2022, 08:54:53 pm »
HP
Very good article, puts hive survival and insulation into a controlled situation.
The weight of the hive for survival is also interesting.

It is interesting.  Too bad they did not take it a step further and try just the opposite of what was tried here in conjunction, (which spawned the title of this topic). Perhaps they could have staggered each hive, one insulated and one vented, using x number of colonies, along with mite counts both before and after winter of each hive.

This suggestion made manifest might have given a more in-depth look as well as an equal comparison? Perhaps unlocking the mystery of the suggestion, that cold might have a positive effect for the bee against Varroa Destructor.....

Phillip

Adding the report states "U.S. beekeepers reported average winter losses of 32.2%, with some states reporting losses as high as 58%" I can honestly say I have never had winter loses anywhere close to this number. What are you average losses HoneyPump and OldBeavo? Others?

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2022, 06:51:05 am »
Phillip
Because we don't have Varroa and our overnight temps may go to zero, the day time temps would be 10-15 C, our losses over winter would be about 1% but never 2%.
We may get some hives go down to 3 or 4 frames of bees, but they come good as Spring comes on.
Nucs that we try to carry over as 4-5 frames only, we may lose !0% in a bad winter. We normally carry 10-20 nucs through winter.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Cold Weather and Ventilation Experiment
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2022, 12:19:01 pm »
Over here:  In the large scale commercial a range around 25 percent loss is considered normal; within beekeeper controllable variables. Above that something went wrong (you missed work or timing), below that something went right (you got it all done on time).  Losses below 10 or over 40 are considered outliers.  Losses over 35, there is some external factor(s) that needs to be investigated.  Also over 35 becomes so financially impactful it is potentially catastrophic to the business.  Winter/Spring 2021/2022 has cut quite a wide swath of losses with alarming cased being reported to be in 70-90 percent range. It is bad.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 01:33:24 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2022, 02:24:11 pm »
Winter/Spring 2021/2022 has cut quite a wide swath of losses with alarming cased being reported to be in 70-90 percent range. It is bad.

HoneyPump, Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear of the tremendous losses this past layover. Was there anything out of the ordinary that contributed to this?

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2022, 05:36:33 pm »
Hi Phillip,

I normally expect about 5 to 10 percent losses every year (some years I have no losses) In 2020/ 2021, I had about 20 percent losses due to the bush fires that ravaged my area. There was only a small supply of food for the bees for about 2 years. Those losses were preventable but I decided not to feed the bees and just allow the strongest hives to survive.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2022, 06:36:19 pm »
Thanks Les and OldBeavo. Les my numbers ar similar to yours. My first hives were 2018. Therefore I have overwinterd 2019, 2020, and 2021. I estimate my average loses to be from 4 to 7 percent. Thankfully, I have not to deal with unpleasant natural disasters that you have experienced.

Phillip