Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping brings me so much joy and so much misery  (Read 4351 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Beekeeping brings me so much joy and so much misery
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2021, 03:56:45 pm »

On a brighter note, my 3rd attempt at grafting was successful! By my standards, anyway. 9 out of 16 cups are being drawn out.

Congratulations!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2021, 11:49:58 am »
The best thing I know to do when I get frustrated with them is to just stop the rat race, and sit, and enjoy watching the bees again. It reminds why I wanted them in the first place.
Good advice Bob. A few weeks ago I had a 4 frame nuc that raised a new queen. She made it back from mating and was laying like a champion on July 9th. The next peek in 11 days later showed zero eggs or young larvae, and 4-5 capped queen cells. She just disappeared...frustrating!
But when I walk out in the yard with the kids, and we see the bees working all over the clover, or sit and watch them hit the landing board loaded with pollen, it makes it all clear why we keep bees :happy:
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2021, 12:03:47 pm »
Yes good advise Bob.
Austin I have had this happen also. I know I did not roll her as I was gingerly careful in placing the frame back. I did mot use a lot of smoke either as I have heard bees will sometimes supersede a queen if we over smoke. Maybe because she was just getting going (established) and they decided to supersede her in our interpretation? Mystery to me! 😊

Good advice Bob. A few weeks ago I had a 4 frame nuc that raised a new queen. She made it back from mating and was laying like a champion on July 9th. The next peek in 11 days later showed zero eggs or young larvae, and 4-5 capped queen cells. She just disappeared...frustrating!
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2021, 12:15:08 pm »
Adding: Last season I was going down the nuc line finding and marking new established laying queens. This one new queen in this session was a beauty, light colored queen with text book pattern, eggs, larva, and capped brood. I had already marked others in nucs in this line ahead of her but for some reason as soon as I released her back onto the same frame she was balled!.. With odds already against a queen returning mated, I hate loosing one in either of these examples..   

Edit: Looking back at my notes it was two seasons ago.... not last season...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 04:18:15 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2021, 01:14:30 pm »
i have had this happen to 2 queens this year.  rescued one and caged her til they accepted her. the other not so lucky.  i'm thinking as clumsy as i am likely i stressed them too much and that's what triggered the reaction. never seen this before

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2021, 12:39:56 am »
Adding: Last season I was going down the nuc line finding and marking new established laying queens. This one new queen in this session was a beauty, light colored queen with text book pattern, eggs, larva, and capped brood. I had already marked others in nucs in this line ahead of her but for some reason as soon as I released her back onto the same frame she was balled!.. With odds already against a queen returning mated, I hate loosing one in either of these examples..   

Were you holding the queens when you marked them?  Could the previous queen's scent been transferred to the next queen?  That and the smell of the paint could have had the bees confused.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 12:41:48 am »

Were you holding the queens when you marked them?  Could the previous queen's scent been transferred to the next queen?  That and the smell of the paint could have had the bees confused.

I think you have nailed it Cao. The previous queens scent is probably the answer in my case! Thanks!!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 07:06:02 am »
Cao I have taken in so much information since I obtained my first bees in spring 2018 that I can't remember it all lol.  I posted of that happening here under the topic heading: "Unexpected Results".
I had to go back and refresh my memory.
Reply 4. "Thanks Mr Van, I did not use a marking cage as I  gained the courage to do it by hand a month or so ago, thanks to Devan Rawn and his clear and well made video SHOWING and explaining how to properly handle queens. However, this question about the marking cage and scents does bring up a good question. I had marked a few before her, I am 99.9% sure that I did not hurt her but was wondering if it is possible that the other queens scents, did indeed transfer to her from my hands?  I do believe that either paint or, and other queens scents, along with HP explanation,  along with yours just about rounds it off?"
Phillip

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2021, 09:01:41 am »
Good new is my robbing frenzy came to an end and after checking hives, all is well.

Then I checked my queen cell starter Nuc.  Was really pleased with how grafting went.  I checked cells and was puzzled that there was only 1/10.  Then I look at the frame next to cell frame, and there?s my beautiful marked Caucasian.  I busted out laughing at what an idiot I am.  I have no idea how I made that mistake, but lesson learned!  I went to the hive she came from and what do you know, queen cells everywhere.  So I broke that hive down into several Nucs :cool:

Thanks for all the stories yall.  Building more bottom boards and lids today.  Sure didn?t like the price of the 4x8 I purchased, but it?s still cheaper than buying lids and BBs.  Lumber prices have been steadily falling, so hopefully 4x8 will continue to fall as well.  Wanting to build some double screen boards to overwinter smaller colonies.
@burleybeeyard

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2021, 10:17:13 am »
BurleyBee my first graft, which really wasn?t grafting. I used the nicot system. Thought I did everything right, (I thought), including inspecting for rogue cells I must have missed one because, like you my cells were killed also. What I found was a rogue virgin that hat hatched just before my cells were to hatch. Bummer lol.

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2021, 03:34:38 pm »
Been doing this for about 8 years.  Neve have I wanted to quit.  Yeah, beekeeping is joyous, satisfying, meditative, zen, humbling, heartbreaking, and frustrating and so much more.  I have always said, though, that I'd be doing this for the rest of my life, and I can't imagine not keeping bees.  They keep me as well (keep me from going bonkers).  I love my girls.
When you come to a fork in the road.....take it.

anything