Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Processing large amounts of beeswax  (Read 1784 times)

Offline TheFuzz

• House Bee
Processing large amounts of beeswax
« on: July 27, 2021, 08:09:08 pm »
Hello, I have 21 buckets of unprocessed beeswax back from the days I did crush and strain method. Here's a photo of two of them:

https://postimg.cc/rzWj2Lv1

I have three buckets like the one on the left, I had cooked that down in the past and let it set in the bucket. I don't know how I can get that wax out since it's pretty solid and stuck in the bucket. Most of the buckets are like the one on the right. One of the buckets currently has live wax moth living inside it.

I don't have any equipment to process this beeswax, I'm going to need to buy some things.

I'm a bit confused when reading about it, it seems like people have different methods to processing beeswax.

Can anyone provide a good method on how to go about processing such a large amount of beeswax, and what instruments I'll need to buy. I can't seem to buy very large second hand pots and then brand new large stainless steel pots are quite expensive.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
Re: Processing large amounts of beeswax
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 09:38:50 pm »
"Begin with the end in mind"
What do you want to have in your hand when you're done processing? Cash? 
If so, what does your "normal" buyer want? and estimate for yourself what the potential sale of the stuff in those buckets will bring. Then you will have a hard limit to how much you're going to shell out to get started.

We have here a large corporation/chain of stores "Goodwill" that takes donations of used goods, for a tax write-off. They clean up and sell the goods in stores, the people who do all the work of running the business are also getting job training.   So I can go down to Goodwill and probably find a very large crock pot for $5, and some nylon "sheer" window curtains for another $5, and I'm in business. (Not very fast or efficient, but still effective)

Offline TheFuzz

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 10:03:52 pm »
I occasionally get people asking me for beeswax, I think having it in 1kg blocks would be good. Is there a way of finding something that will create exactly 1kg blocks?

I went to five different op shops(called thrift stores overseas?). Only one of them had a pot, they wanted $15 for it and it wasn't even that big.

I didn't know I could use window curtains to strain. Does it have to be nylon window curtains for it to work? What else could I get that's cheap for straining? I wasn't sure if I should just buy a lot of cheese cloth. Can I use old cotton t-shirts?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 10:38:45 pm »
I occasionally get people asking me for beeswax, I think having it in 1kg blocks would be good. Is there a way of finding something that will create exactly 1kg blocks?

I went to five different op shops(called thrift stores overseas?). Only one of them had a pot, they wanted $15 for it and it wasn't even that big.

I didn't know I could use window curtains to strain. Does it have to be nylon window curtains for it to work? What else could I get that's cheap for straining? I wasn't sure if I should just buy a lot of cheese cloth. Can I use old cotton t-shirts?

Fuzz we have "dollar tree" dollar stores here in my area. They sell teflon coated bread pans which would probably be a good choice for $1.00 each. I do not know what the resulting wax would weigh.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 12:23:37 am »
Refining wax is quite simple but is a multistep process.  Most of it goes quite easily. The component that will give you the most trouble is the cocoons (slum)
For small amounts of wax like you have there here are some ideas of what you would need:
- propane burner stand.  Aka ala turkey fryer type unit. 20lb propane bottles. OR a fairly skookum electric hot plate type unit. Some folks use a steam generator.
- a steel 15 galon drum. That is a perfect size to put a 5 gal pail of wax into.  Lid for said drum.

Precautions:  wax is highly flammable. Setup an area outdoors. An enclosure is helpful to cut wind for better heat retention but not necessary. If enclosed use a temporary popup tent/garage type thing.  And setup over a nonflammable surface well away from any of your buildings and valuables.  Concrete, gravel, dirt.

Stage1 melt;
Put the barrel on the burner and put a couple inches of water in.  Light the burner.  Put a pail of wax in.  Add at least 2inch of water in the pail with the wax.  Then add water between the pail and the barrel until the pail just barely floats. Add water to the wax pail or the jacket space until it looks right. Put the lid on, crank the burner, and go do some nearby yard-work, read a book, or surf BeeMaster. When the water boils turn the burner down to a simmer. Do not ever leave unattended.  If you need to leave, turn it off.  Check and top off the water jacket periodically.  Stir the wax in the pail periodically.
When the wax in the pail is completely melted turn the burner down to warm, hot. Wait 15 minutes for things to settle. Take the pail out of the barrel. Next take a standard 4 to 6 inch steel mesh noodle strainer.  Scoop the cocoons off the top give sifting shakes over the pail and toss the slum into another bucket. That will be your slum bucket to deal with later. Get as much as you can out by scooping and sifting.
Get another clean bucket.  Pour whats left, the entire melted wax pail through the noodle strainer into the new bucket.  Set that aside and let cool to solidify. Grab another pail of wax and start your next raw wax bucket melt. Repeat 21 times.

Stage 2 melt.
Flip the cooled bucket upside down on the ground out in the yard and bang it till the block falls out. The bottom layer will be honey, water, dirt, debris. Dump the bucket over a pan if you want to try to salvage any of that stuff.   Btw, Watery wax melt honey can a great mead ;)
On the bottom of the wax block will be grey/brown layer of crud.  That is propolis resins! and pollens. Scrape it off the block to nice yellow wax surface. Keep the crud for propolis calls or compost it.
In a large pot, 16 quart minimum with lid, Put at least a 3 inch layer of water.  Get an axe and chop the scraped clean wax blocks into manageable chunks. Put the scraped wax chunks in the pot with the water.  Put pot on the burner.  Keep the lid on the pot at all times. Melt to a slow simmer, very ever so slight gentle bubble. The water bubbling -washes- the wax.  Watch the heat.  Keep the lid on, yes that is a repeat keep the lid on.  A BLEVE fire is a real risk here if not careful. Let bubble for at least 10 minutes. Turn the burner off.  Let stand for 5 minutes.  Ladle off the beautiful wax into your moulds in sizes you want to store or sale.  Eventually you will get down to that thin boundary layer between last of the wax in the pot and the water.  Any propolis flakes or bee bits left will be there at that layer. Dirt and pollens and fined washed by the water bubbling will have sunk to the bottom of the pot.  When ladling reaches the boundary, stop and just dump out the rest.  Wipe the pot clean with shop towels while the pot is still hot. Clean the pot hot. Refill with water and Repeat X times. Main wax processing done. If you are not happy with cleanliness of the wax, then you can remelt and boil bubble wash it again. Repeat until you are happy or there is no further improvement.

Step3. Slum
The washing of slum by bubbling in water is same principle.  The difference is the cocoons goto the top instead of sinking into the water, and  they hold wax like a sponge.  So you will need a screen the size of the inside of the pot to push the cocoons down into the water layer and hold them down while the water and wax bubbles through them and washes the wax out. Get creative and make something out of steel mesh that fits snugly and works with the pot you got. Or put the slum loosely in a filter bag (paint strainer) and weigh it down into the water layer.  Then same idea, after some time boil bubble washing water through the slum - all recoverable wax floats to the top.  Turn burner off, let stand for a bit. Then ladle wax off the top into moulds until the boundary layer is reached. The slum wax will be darker. Greyish brown. Unless you bleach it or DE pressure filter it, it is what it is.  Dump out the rest of whats in the pot below the boundary layer. 

Equipment needed:
- buckets of wax
- steel 15 gal drum with lid
- sturdy propane burner stand, propane bottles
- OR skookum electric hot plate. 
- enclosure to cut wind
- nonflammable surface under and around the melter equipment.
- 4 to 6 inch steel mesh strainer with handle
- 16+ quart stock pot
- paint strainer bags
- extra buckets
- clean water
- shop towels
- steel ladle with long handle and a dripless pouring lip.
- silicon or tapered plastic moulds of various sizes and shapes.
- time, patience, and most importantly a fire or skin burn safety-first attitude

That is about as simple as it can be explained. Hopefully that helps with spawning some ideas to get you started.  Plan it out, get your stuff, get setup, take your time, and bee safe with it!

Btw, wax does not have to be processed.  If you do not have the time or do not want to make the investment It is perfectly acceptable to dump it out in the bush as compost and fertilizer.  There are many critters and bugs out there who love it and will make very good use of it. In other words there is no need to take on the job if you do not have interest in it. There is no foul for not doing so.
With 21 buckets of scrapings, you might have 250$ worth of refined saleable wax blocks at the end. Only you can decide if that is worth your time and expense to go through the process.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 01:09:19 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 03:24:56 am »
If you want very clean wax, line the strainer with 2 layers of Chux cloths to take out the fines.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 09:01:50 am »
I don't know what equipment you have available around you or even if it would be called the same.  But I have used a metal trash can (new of course) and a wand type home stream clear or steam wallpaper remover.   I suspend the wax cappings in a 5 gallon paint strainer bag ($2) from the lid of the can and cut a hole in the side of the can for the steam pipe.   Run it trough a couple cycles in necessary and let it cool down.  You end up with all the junk in the strainer bag and nice clean wax "puck" in the bottom of the can that is easy to remove because the water from the steam floats the wax off the bottom of the can.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 04:53:59 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 01:32:39 am »
"honeypump" Precautions:  wax is highly flammable. Setup an area outdoors. An enclosure is helpful to cut wind for better heat retention but not necessary. If enclosed use a temporary popup tent/garage type thing.  And setup over a nonflammable surface well away from any of your buildings and valuables.  Concrete, gravel, dirt.

I recommend taking HoneyPumps safety advice very seriously.
If you can weld and come up with the materials; here is another method that might interest you.

https://youtu.be/3XHQNUB2MDY
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 02:22:58 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 01:14:27 pm »
Ben Framed Great video. That works well I noticed the bucket to catch the drips,  would not want to drip the melted wax on the open flames.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 01:22:21 pm »
Ben Framed Great video. That works well I noticed the bucket to catch the drips,  would not want to drip the melted wax on the open flames.

Thanks Brian, I was impressed with 'dryness' of the slum gum. These folks actually had another video using the same setup and accidently spilled some of the wax on the open flame as they were transfering from the heat pot to the press pot, if I remember correctly. It was a brisk flash fire for a few seconds but really caught the attention of the viewer. Was a real eye opener. I 'suppose' they got so many negative comments that they took that one down and must have replaced it with this updated version video.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 02:05:55 pm »
The yellow device is a slum press.  The cocoons are scooped into a burlap bag in the press then the wax is pressed out through the burlap (filter).  The main wax, the good stuff, is left percolating in the pot over a water layer, -washing-. Which would be ladled off later.  The guy is scooping the coccons off the top layer of the pot. As I had described above. He is scooping those into the press. I suggested scooping into a bucket to deal with later and separately.
A press is not needed if you can figure a way to hold the cocoons down in the boiling water layer below the water/wax boundary level. For the best quality of wax, separate the cocoons from the main wax and process it separately.  Also as had been described above.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 02:22:55 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 02:33:00 pm »
The yellow device is a slum press.  The cocoons are scooped into a burlap bag in the press then the wax is pressed out through the burlap (filter).  The main wax, the good stuff, is left percolating in the pot over a water layer, -washing-. Which would be ladled off later.  The guy is scooping the coccons off the top layer of the pot. As I had described above. He is scooping those into the press. I suggested scooping into a bucket to deal with later and separately.
A press is not needed if you can figure a way to hold the cocoons down in the boiling water layer below the water/wax boundary level. For the best quality of wax, separate the cocoons from the main wax and process it separately.  Also as had been described above.

Yes you described it well above. But isn't it interesting to see how others from different parts of the world do things?  With this press, little to no wax is wasted or lost. These folks have other videos of cleaning and refining wax even further. For those who would be interested in seeing how they do it in this land and culture.. even the 'not good stuff' comes out pretty good.