Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Has Anyone Used the Randy Oliver Shop Towel Mite Treating Method?  (Read 9776 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Has Anyone Used the Randy Oliver Shop Towel Mite Treating Method?
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2021, 12:03:36 am »
Phil, thanks, i read your post regarding univ of Fl.  Now I have all the respect for those scientist at Fl.  I have read some of their impressive papers.  Now I am confused.  I have seen my own results using 1 gram of oxalic acid per deep which is reported as not effective by Fl?  I think i have a pic of my results and will post shortly if I do.

Mr Van I have just as much respect for your opinion as the professors at the university! Respect that you have EARNED from a lifetime of research for the good of us all!! Gods Blessings to you!! I am honored to call you friend..

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 07:32:04 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2021, 12:19:02 am »
24 hours after treatment with 1 gram oxalic acid vapor applied with a Provap 110V.  Dead mites, to many to count, very effective in my hives.  The pic is about 2.5 square inches of hive bottom, the entire bottom had a bazillion mites.

Mr Van 'this topic' ties in with the topic which is posted in disease and pest control "Varroa checks" along with the other topic in general beekeeping "Varroa Check >Spin-off<" A triangle brother and sister of topics which tie into each other.  If you will study each of these carefully,. I am of the opinion, or at least have the theory, you are right about the 1 gram per box treatment.
The trick in my opinion, and I may stand alone in this, is the chart treatment schedule that CoolBees placed for our viewing. I have strict belief that Alen, CoolBees, beeboyb01, along with rast, along with others, are on to good things. You're not incorrect in your dosage in my opinion. Scheduling may be the key?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2021, 01:12:57 pm »
See reply #20 by BenFramed.

Good post Phil.  My concerns regard kaymon reynolds and multiple unsuccessful oav treatments where Mr. Reynolds questions the dosage of 1 gram of oxalic acid.

My concerns are:
1.  Did Mr. Reynolds us pure oxalic acid or oxalic acid hydrate?  The hydrate form would require a higher dosage.
2.  Did Mr. Reynolds account for OAV escape?  I see beeks on youtube use oav with open entrance allowing a large portion of acid to escape resulting in inadequate low dosage.

The above 2 questions are imperative to correct usage of oav with success at the 1 gram per deep application.

Phil, I appreciate your detailed comments... you are dedicated and proving to be a great moderator for BeeMaster!!!
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2021, 01:31:37 pm »
>My concerns regard kaymon reynolds and multiple unsuccessful oav treatments where Mr. Reynolds questions the dosage of 1 gram of oxalic acid.

Good point Mr van. I posted reply 20 almost 2 years ago. He was doing a video series on this hive. I honestly can't remember all the details or if he might have switched strategies during his experiment; Meaning I do not remember his treatment schedule. A few words about Kyman in my opinion. A bright young energetic beekeeper who has dedicated himself to bees as a livelihood for himself and his family. In my opinion that is a good combination for a bright future in learning and searching for what is best for his bees; which equals what is best for his family. While we are all learning together... I am thinking he is a member here but can't verify. If so and he sees this, maybe he will chime in...

>Phil, I appreciate your detailed comments... you are dedicated and proving to be a great moderator for BeeMaster!!!

Thank you for your kind words Mr Van.. 

anything