Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rotated a brood frame  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Rotated a brood frame
« on: September 03, 2019, 01:46:04 pm »
I have an 8 frame hive that is doing exceptionally well. This was actually a cutout from a chicken house door. They have rebounded and completely filled an 8 frame box. The box is fully drawn out and just bursting with bees and brood of all stages. I added another box to them a week or so ago. They are not wanting to take to it. The box is 8 frames. 6 and a half of them are brood or brood/honey stores. Today I went into them and pulled one brood frame and stuck it in the top box. Replaced with foundation and put them back together.  I'm also feeding all of my bees right now because the golden rod hasn't fully come on yet. Did I do the right thing?
Take a kid fishing !

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Rotated a brood frame
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 02:00:43 pm »
""I did....... was it right"" is never the right thing.
""I plan to do..... Is it right"" is the right thing to do.
You got lucky this time, but I would have moved 2 up and put the foundation at the outer edge of each side of the brood in the bottom box.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 02:36:27 pm »
Idee your right about that.  I have done this exact thing before and had good success. It was just way earlier in the season. If I had never done it before I would have definitely asked before just doing it. I have kept bees for a while so I'm not  necessarily brand new to it, but I dang sure still have a lot to learn. I value the opinions of people on this website such as yourself.  It is much appreciated. 
Take a kid fishing !

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 04:35:41 pm »
Fish, ya did good.  Sometimes we have to make decisions on the fly, do our best, make our mistakes.  You work successfully with cutouts so you definitely have knowledge.

When ID and I were first working bees, although different states, different circumstances, there was only the library as a source of knowledge or another experienced beek if we were lucky as I.  I started in the 1960ies, I think ID started b4 me.  When 14 I saw my first laying worker hive, mostly drones.

So fast forward over half a century to 2019. I still make mistakes, I am still learning new tricks to deal with bees.  I learn from ID, HP, HOPS, CAO, Bush, Jim, Paus, BenFramed Salty & Cool yes newbies but they ask thought provoking questions.  There are to many beeks to list that I learn from on BeeMaster.

There is not a perfect beekeeper because bees are dynamic.  By dynamic I mean ever changing, different species, climate, environments are in thought.  Yes, honeybees are definitely dynamic and adapt to our demands: we offer shelter, care in trade for their honey or company.

Well, my point is, ya did good FishNut.  You did OK.  Moving a frame of brood will move nurse bees into that area.

I Hope Dorian is soon history and avoids you and ID.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 05:39:39 pm »
After 4 1/2 years on beesource, then 10 years on Beemaster, I don't take for granted who knows what. When a question comes up, I answer it the same whether the inquirer is new or 50 year experience, unless it's something like an excluder, where I feel newbees should avoid and experience can get good use from. Then I try to differentiate.

No, Van, I only started about 1976. I'm a total newbee compared to you old timers.   :cheesy: :cheesy:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 07:13:10 pm »
No, Van, I only started about 1976. I'm a total newbee compared to you old timers

Your a newbie, har har har.  Yep old timer for sure I be.

Ya know.... today I was watching my bees, and thinking..,just as I did fifty years ago.  I am still doing same thing, watching my bees, enjoying, and still learning from the newbies.  Mark was his name, the beekeeper that taught me in the 1960ies.  I was a hobbyist then and still am.  I just enjoy the honeybees.  I probably die some day, out in the bee yard.  My bees are just out my back door, just as a kid, different house, same me, same gentle bees.
Blessings
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 12:12:35 pm »
Thanks fellas
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 10:53:29 am »
>...but I would have moved 2 up

Me too.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 11:07:09 am »
I wouldn't worry the bees will take care of what is needed to move up into the top box. Moving two frames of brood would just hasten them along. I try to set up a pyramid of brood frames when adding a second box.
  Been a beekeeper since '91, guess I'm still a newbee compared to some of the grey hairs around here. ;)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 12:48:07 pm »
I've had good luck moving just one. Just never done it this late in the season.  I'm thinking that maybe I should have though because they aren't really moving up. They have completely rebuilt the empty frame with foundation that went into the brood nest and have that one frame up top covered with bees and brood but that's it.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 11:56:05 am »
>I've had good luck moving just one.

The problem with just one is that it forces the bees to decide if it is worth the effort to keep that one frame of brood warm.  A strong hive will likely have no trouble doing this.  But a weaker hive will.  I prefer not to leave the bees in a position where they have to make a hard decision.  Two tips the scale.  it's always worth the effort in the opinion of the bees.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesdecisions.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin