Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: eBay honey extractors  (Read 7702 times)

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
Re: eBay honey extractors
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 03:04:22 pm »
I always look at how the legs are attached to the drum or body of the extractor. I would think that there would be a lot less stress on the body if it sat in a separate base instead of having the legs attaching it's body. When the frames are out of balance my extractor really jumps around and if the legs were directly attached to it I would expect the metal to crack at the attachment point after a while.   

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2021, 04:26:25 pm »
I always look at how the legs are attached to the drum or body of the extractor. I would think that there would be a lot less stress on the body if it sat in a separate base instead of having the legs attaching it's body. When the frames are out of balance my extractor really jumps around and if the legs were directly attached to it I would expect the metal to crack at the attachment point after a while.   

That is what I did.... Separate base.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2021, 05:32:22 pm »
Olivia,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Did your brother buy honey or an extractor?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Stephanie30

• Brood
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2021, 03:24:25 pm »
I buy from ebay.com, and generally, the sellers are from the US. I only pay through PayPal because many eBay accounts are stolen, and there are many unnatural links. I say never pay by western union or any other type that can't be proven that you spent that in most cases, you will never see them again. The stolen account phase cancels the feedback. However, feedback is also essential. If you still want to get something and you can't pay via PayPal, try bid pay. If your money is not stolen, you can make a transfer through china post and see how the money will get where it needs to go.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2021, 02:17:58 pm »
For me, many factors come to play, especially environmental.  If you live near a coastline or high humidity area, I recommend going with the best quality stainless that you can get within your budget.  As Van mentioned above, there are different grades of stainless.  Here in Hawaii most stainless appliances (e.g. BBQ's etc.) will rust...yep stainless steel rusts.  That's because it's a lower grade of stainless.  This is why commercial and surgical grade stainless things are so expensive comparatively...they are made with a much more superior grade of stainless and therefore have a much greater resistance to rusting/oxidization.  The last thing you want is for rust to develop in your extractor and taint your honey!  People in some places in the country need not worry about this nearly as much, but in my case and that of many others, this should be a serious consideration.  I also like the suggestion above of looking for a machine with good/sturdy legs.  Yor extractor is a workhorse and will have a lot of forces applied to it.  It is worth investing in a quality built machine made with quality materials whenever possible IMO.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2021, 02:19:14 pm »
Also, if you think that you may grow your apiary in the future, I would suggest getting one that can accommodate that growth so you're only investing once, if possible.  It's okay to oversize your extractor (it runs easier too).

anything