Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Bound September in the Midwest  (Read 3870 times)

Offline joeeagle66

• New Bee
Honey Bound September in the Midwest
« on: September 01, 2010, 06:18:18 pm »
I have two hives that have done quite well.  I recently added Api Var Life to treat for mites.  I am in my second application.  I inspected the hives this last time before adding the AVL and found that the two brood supers in both hives are chocked full of honey.  They have drawn out all the comb on all the frames and there is very little space left for anything.  Should I add a super?  Should I move full frames to a weaker hive to make room for more brood?  There seem to be plenty of bees at the moment, very few drones, so it seems to be healthy right now.  I just want to make sure I can get them through the winter with good workers.  I'm new at this so I've never had this problem (?) before.  I'd appreciate some guidance.  Thanks for any help, Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Honey Bound September in the Midwest
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:47:27 pm »
What's your location?  You can't take honey when treating for mites.You should have put honey supers on sooner and then harvested.  Do you have spare empty drawn out frames available?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:00:40 pm »
Depending on your location...this could be an excellent time of year to treat for mites but what led you to do so? Did you do a drop count or are you treating just to treat? There are very few mite treatments that may be done with honey on the hives (if you want it for yourself). Make sure to follow label directions.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline joeeagle66

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:18:01 am »
I'm in Indiana.  I took honey off in July.  I am leaving the rest of the honey for the winter.  I am just worried that there is no space to do anything in the coming months when there will be some pollen and nectar.  I am also worried that there is no more room for brood. 

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:47:51 am »
Unless you get the most bodatious goldenrod flow, they won't draw any more comb.  I'd say you are are fine, they won't have quite as much room for brood, but they don't need so much room this time or year anyway.  Sounds like the hive is doing great!
Rick