Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee gloves  (Read 9704 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Bee gloves
« on: January 28, 2017, 10:22:15 pm »
If I am going to wear gloves what kind should I wear. I just don't like the nitrile gloves and they are so handy and convenient as we stock there where I work and where I work is right beside my hives and my family and I own the place so they cost me nothing.  With that being said I am not brave or skilled enough to work without gloves so what is my next best option.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Bee gloves
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:33:07 pm »
I just don't like the nitrile gloves and they are so handy and convenient as we stock there where I work and where I work is right beside my hives and my family and I own the place so they cost me nothing.

So you are saying you don't like the nitriles? Just confused by I don't like " but they are so handy and convenient....they cost me nothing. Just want to make sure I read this right before I reply.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:41:37 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 10:42:31 pm »
Correct. I don't like them at all.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 10:47:25 pm »
What mil gloves are you using?  I use 9mm gloves although I do take a hit if they are tight and the bees are cranky.  I use 22 mil gloves on bad girls and I just bought an 18 mil pair that I have not used.    I do not like leather because of lack of dexterity.  The 22 mil develop a "distink" odor, any suggestion on this problem would be appreciated.  I also can take a FEW stings to hands because it helps my arthritis

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 10:55:37 pm »
I will look at the mill when I get to work on Monday. They are pretty thick as we sell it to sanitation/septic workers and they like them thick.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 11:09:12 pm »
I bought some duraflock on the recommendation of divemaster and have not looked back. Yep they cause hands to sweat a lot but have great dexterity. Some thin cloth liners would compliment them well, like some jewelry stores or gun shops handle their merchandise with.

After the nitrile you get leather and tend to squeeze a lot of bees which tends to piss them off...

http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=49052.msg426573#msg426573

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 10:32:59 am »
I am allergic to stings so I need gloves that protect me.  Leather can be stung through.  Cloth also, but not as easily.  The think heavy rubber gloves that are about 1/32-1/16 thick (which I got at Home Depot) are (so far) inpenetratable.  Seems they can sting the glove but the stinger will not advance all the way through the glove. 

I don't have as much dexterity in them as I would like, but they do function.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 05:03:34 pm »
Correct. I don't like them at all.

I have used the rubber coated cotton garden gloves warn on the opposite hand.  The trick is to get them big enough.  The reason for opposite hand is so the cotton is on the inside of the hand and the rubber on the outside of the hand.  I have leather gloves but they prevent you from feeling anything and usually what happens is you pinch a bee and one sting sets them in a frenzy.  When the hive is small I can go bare handed but by the time it gets 5 boxes high it is too much intimidation for me.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 10:02:40 pm »
I might just get some good goat skin gloves. I am not allergic to stings but don't particularly like them either. I would just rather protect my hands.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 08:35:12 am »
I don't wear gloves unless the hive is crazy. Just smoke them hands up and move slowly.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 09:17:04 am »
Just smoke them hands up and move slowly.

Even if you wear gloves smoke the hands up.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 09:56:16 am »
Thanks. I saw a pair of ventilated bee gloves on Amazon. With how hot it gets here those are looking might tempting.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 01:09:55 pm »
BW,
Please add your location. I'm sure you mentioned where you are located when you started but I cannot remember.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 02:03:53 pm »
I used to not wear gloves at all, but got tired of the regular pings in my Russian x hive.  They're a bit defensive during inspection season.

I have the ventilated bee gloves and I do wear them when I'm not in the mood to move really slowly.   I've taken a ton of stingers to them, but never through them.  I like them a lot.

I've worn the nitrile and got pinged through them the very first time.   Also, they make my hands sweat and the fingers are just a tad too long for how I need them so the fingertips kept getting caught between boxes when I'd re-stack.   Also, they're a bit short and sometimes pull down and leave a gap at the wrist.

I've been wondering about a nice set of flocked dish gloves ...  In the meantime, I'm mostly using the ventilated long leather ones.   They work fine.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 03:02:01 pm »

I've been wondering about a nice set of flocked dish gloves ...  In the meantime, I'm mostly using the ventilated long leather ones.   They work fine.
They will
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 03:51:50 pm »
   Also, they're a bit short and sometimes pull down and leave a gap at the wrist.

If I have on gloves I have a jacket on. I tape gloves at the sleeves...

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 04:11:03 pm »
Well I just bought me some new gloves from Humble Bee off Amazon. Hope they are good quality. I will know Wednesday

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 12:36:39 pm »
bw, you mentioned getting good quality goatskin gloves and I think quality's the key.  Goat is a tough, flexible, durable leather that remains more flexible than pig or cow hide when it dries out after a soaking.  You might want to oil the leather, too, so that it remains softer after drying out.  You can wash the propolis off goatskin and it won't shrink and stiffen like others.  If you wear leather gloves, that is the way to go, IMO.

Early in the season I sometimes go bare handed.  Most of the season I wear nitrile gloves (5mil), getting stings only occasionally.  Rarely do I feel the need to wear my leather (goat) gloves, but I do keep them handy for those times.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 01:28:13 pm »
I wear a jacket with long sleeves.  So I buy roping gloves (aka doeskin gloves aka buckskin gloves) that are thin leather and tuck them into my sleeves.  Easy to get on and off.  Cooler than having canvas running up my arms...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin