Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Australian animals knocking over beehives  (Read 3809 times)

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
Australian animals knocking over beehives
« on: March 24, 2017, 11:28:44 pm »
This might be a silly post, but I'd like to know if any Australian animals are known to knocking over beehives. From what I've gathered bears and deers can do this, but what about a Kangaroo, or other Australian animals?

I'd like to know because I'm going to be setting up an apiary site and the owner of the land asked me, and I couldn't answer the question. If it is a risk, I will place the hives in this area that's surrounded by a fence. If not, I'll just place them wherever.

Offline 220

• House Bee
Re: Australian animals knocking over beehives
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 04:37:25 am »
No doubt a kangaroo could knock over a hive, I have seen them hop into trees and cows but only when spooked, you would have to be very unlucky.
Only animal likely to do it I can think of would be wombats, they love to rub and plenty strong enough to push over even the heaviest of hives. Don't think it is likely, I have half a dozen wombat burrows within a few hundred metres of my hives and haven't has a problem yet.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 06:49:52 am »
If their is a possibility that it could happen, keep a ratchet strap around the hive and keep it tight. That way if it is knocked over, it will stay together and the bees can react and run the critter off. I have cattle and the only ones I ever have had to worry about are the bulls. They like to rub and push things especially if you only have one. Right now I have a 1000 pound steer and a 600 pound young bull. They go at it all day long. And the bull wins more times than not. My last bull was the only one in the fields and he destroyed 2 open gates. When he was done with them, they were folded up and in several pieces. I always kept a fence around my hives when he was here but not after I sold him.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dave P

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 05:43:44 pm »
Cows and horses are about the only animals you have to worry about. They will knock over a hive especially if they get too close and get stung.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 06:18:30 pm »
I have had a hive knocked over by a roo. My own fault placed it down on the roos track right against the hole in the fence. As it was dark when we dropped the hives in place I hadn't seen the hole in the fence. Anyway picked it up and moved it across out of the roo, s way.
Those drop bears could be a worry though.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 02:40:34 am »
I have had hives pushed over by roos - twice. Some feral mongrel of a cow knocked over one of my hives few days ago.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 02:07:04 am »
Only have an old iphone 4 so not the best camera, took this pic this morning, thought it might be of interest to some of the OS members and this seemed like an appropriate place to post it.