Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Kicked out!  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Kicked out!
« on: June 25, 2019, 09:30:45 pm »
So I?ve heard that during fall the workers will start dragging drones out. Well checked hives?s this afternoon. And hive 1 was doing that. Why would they be doing it this early?  Seems to be more drones in this hive bs the other. Is it because a dearth is coming?  Also in the video you see them dragging a bumblebee out. I saw two more come out that they couldn?t kill. Thanks
https://youtu.be/YXsgvEsXeFo

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Kicked out!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 10:03:21 pm »
I would think the fact that the bumble bees were trying to rob the hive is a sign of a dearth. I don?t think the bumbles would mess with honey bees unless they were getting desperate for food.  I?m a only a second year keeper though, so I?d wait for a more experienced opinion if I were you.   :wink:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 10:26:05 pm »
Good video Nock I am glad you recorded this.  This is my first time seeing this actually happening. The workers were in serious mode!! I do not know the answer but I suspect that you are right about the upcoming dearth is most likely the reason. If this is the correct answer, will the bees once again raise new drones when the next flow arrives?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 10:42:41 pm »
I have noticed that some hives keep drones longer than others.  Why?  I suspect that the hives that have a good queen and are doing well/not likely to swarm are the ones that kick the drones out first.  They are already looking towards having the hive ready for winter.  I tend to see the drones hang out in more distressed hives.  Especially if you have a queenless hive or one that is superceding their queen.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 11:12:51 pm »
They're probably running low on food.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 07:22:13 am »
On the money Xerox, it is mid summer in the northern hemisphere, we are 4 days past the shortest day down South.
If they are throwing drones out the dearth as you guys call it is here, feed or shift the hives to a honey flow.
It will take a serious flow to get more drones produced, but you may have some migrate to hives if there is a small flow.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 08:55:08 am »
I?m working on gaining permission to move them to a big sunflower field. Probably 12 acres or so.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 09:04:02 am »
Bees only support drones when they get to a certain size hive and there is a good flow on. As soon as the flow is on they will kick them out. Only the distressed hives support drones going into a dearth. It is a last ditch effort to keep the genetics going.
That being said, some hives start removing the drones earlier or later depending on the amount of stores and what is being brought in. Some hives will find food sources when others are not.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 10:04:50 am »
Bees only support drones when they get to a certain size hive and there is a good flow on. As soon as the flow is on they will kick them out. Only the distressed hives support drones going into a dearth. It is a last ditch effort to keep the genetics going.
That being said, some hives start removing the drones earlier or later depending on the amount of stores and what is being brought in. Some hives will find food sources when others are not.
Jim Altmiller

Interesting

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 10:08:28 am »
Oldbeavo, The  goldenrod flow comes later in the season here. It is a major flow? Do the hives then produce more new drones? Or, once the drones are removed from a hive is that it for the drones in that hive for the season, until next spring? Or if the hives are moved to a major source of nectar, will the hives then reproduce more late season drones??
Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 10:36:38 am »
I have noticed that some hives keep drones longer than others.  Why?  I suspect that the hives that have a good queen and are doing well/not likely to swarm are the ones that kick the drones out first.  They are already looking towards having the hive ready for winter.  I tend to see the drones hang out in more distressed hives.  Especially if you have a queenless hive or one that is superceding their queen.

Cao, I was, am, planning of raising some late season queens, I have a question. If the drones who are hanging out as you describe  (I tend to see the drones hang out in more distressed  hives.  Especially if you have a queenless hive or one that is superceding their queen).  Will these same drones follow the new queen on her mating flight and mate with her, under these circumstances as she is superseding the old queen? I am concerned that I may have made a mistake by not raising more queens earlier. At the rate Nocks bees were kicking out the drones, there may be nothing much left to breed a batch of virgins too?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 10:59:04 am »
Ben,
Drones follow the queens to the mating site. They have a range of about one kilometer. The queen flies about 3 kilometers. The drones can move from hive to hive and end up in the same area.
If a queen mates with one of her brothers, half of those eggs will bee removed by the bees, resulting in a poor laying pattern.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 11:21:39 am »
Ben,
Drones follow the queens to the mating site. They have a range of about one kilometer. The queen flies about 3 kilometers. The drones can move from hive to hive and end up in the same area.
If a queen mates with one of her brothers, half of those eggs will bee removed by the bees, resulting in a poor laying pattern.
Jim Altmiller

Thanks Jim, this is what I have been taught, told, and have read. I have wondered in distressed situations as described by the members here, can or are exceptions made by nature? Do the virgins make exceptions during this time of such few drones and possibly make shorter flights? Other wise, what good would it do for the hive to feed the drones, tolerating their presence, enticing the drones to hang out here in the distressed hive, if there is no chance for any of these drones to mate their virgins, when it is already distressed and a dearth coming? Especially Since the drones fly from hive to hive, reducing the chance visiting drones being brothers, thus reducing the chances of the virgins mating with said. Several questions but fair questions?

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 11:40:35 am »
The opening is 4?. Should I close it down?  Will the bumblebee be a problem?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 12:31:06 pm »
Ben, I have noticed that early in the spring I get at least 80% return of queens on mating flights.  This time of year it ends up being closer to 50%.  More predators out there and probably less drones.  I am done for the year doing splits or raising queens.  Unless an emergency comes up.  When raising queens, it doesn't matter how many drones that you have, what matters is how many your neighbors down the road have. 

Nock,  I wouldn't worry about the entrance.  It should be small enough.  Bumble bees are just trying to sneak a free meal.  Hornets would be another matter.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 12:39:18 pm »
Ben, I have noticed that early in the spring I get at least 80% return of queens on mating flights.  This time of year it ends up being closer to 50%.  More predators out there and probably less drones.  I am done for the year doing splits or raising queens.  Unless an emergency comes up.  When raising queens, it doesn't matter how many drones that you have, what matters is how many your neighbors down the road have. 

Nock,  I wouldn't worry about the entrance.  It should be small enough.  Bumble bees are just trying to sneak a free meal.  Hornets would be another matter.

Thanks Cao. At the rate that Nocks drones were being evicted. Was my concern for myself and my neighbors bees. 😁😁. I guess it goes back to what TheHoneyPump said about different things. Seek more than you need and you may get enough. Those were not his exact words but the meaning is there. So I need to get on the ball and seek 50 percent more than I need and If my returns  are as yours I should be ok. Again Cao, I thank you.
Phillip

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 08:29:28 pm »
Business as usual this afternoon. Lots of traffic. Packing pollen this afternoon. Normally I don?t see that in the afternoon. No live drones. I?ll probably take a peek in the top BB later in week.

anything