Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: eau d' lemongrass oil  (Read 1151 times)

Offline incognito

• House Bee
eau d' lemongrass oil
« on: June 25, 2019, 05:27:45 pm »
I had a bottle of lemongrass oil in a baggie in my toolbox.
The label on the bottle is saturated. The baggie and toolbox smelled like lemons. My fingers smelled like lemons.

I think the scent on me aroused the bees on the outside of the hive. I was followed all the way to the front yard before a bee stopped buzzing my head. The same thing happened last week when I dabbed some lemongrass oil on my finger and wiped it on a watering font to try to get the bees to use the font instead of my neighbor's pool cover. I got stung on the top of my head the first time. I put on a veil this time.

I have since put the lemongrass oil in my refrigerator and rinsed out the toolbox. The tools are spread out so the smell dissipates. I also removed a small kitchen strainer from the toolbox that must have been used for lemon juice, it reeks of lemon.
Is that a common reaction if there is lemon scent on me and the tools if I go near the hive, or was that a coincidence? 

Tom

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: eau d' lemongrass oil
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 07:00:31 pm »
Yep, Yes Sir, honeybees are attracted to lemon grass oil.  No doubt about it.  The good is the smell is so pleasant to me too that I don?t mind a spill...... but stay away from the bees if you do spill.

Ouch, sorry about the sting on the head.  I hope you did not swell as some do.  Did you mean first sting on the head, or first sting anywhere this year?
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 09:07:43 pm »
first sting anywhere this year?
Nope. Thumb, forearm, head, neck.

I did not wash my hair when I got stung on the top of the head. The next day they were still chasing me.  Another lesson learned.
I scraped the one out of my neck so fast that I can confirm it was a sting by the lump that is there now. No pain when only a bit of venom is pumped in.
Tom

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 02:15:04 am »
Lemongrass smell is used by bees to say this is where your home is or here is the entrance to a new hive location. They mark it and then tell the other scouts distance and direction, go find it. When you get it on yourself, you are confusing the younger bees.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 11:29:09 am »
Incognito, Lol. When I put up a swarm box this spring, I forgot and left a paper towel with LGO on it in my tool bag. It bonded with the handle of my cordless drill, melting the orange plastic, and stunk up my tool bag. The bees were buzzing all around my shed's screen window till I moved the bag and drill inside for a couple of weeks.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 11:50:29 am »
I had some leak in my pocket. At the store the cashier said that I  smell good. I had to laugh and explain.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 08:28:37 pm »
When I first bought Beequick I left it in my truck because I really like the way my truck smelled. Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything