Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Here's the progress of my Package install June May 11, 2019  (Read 2293 times)

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
Hello all,
I'm sure learning a lot my 7th year at this hobby. I started this year with one package bee install on May 11th. I guess here in Michigan, we go by the apple bloom, around May 6th. That's also our average time of the year for the start of swarm season. We had a cool Spring with a bunch of rain so I'm thinking it will delay that. I caught a swarm 30 feet from my hive on June 21st. So far, it's doing well, so I'm gunna say I have two hives now!

I think we have a good flow. I'm waiting for feedback from my Michigan friends to verify but I think we are still good. On May 11th, I started with one 8 frame box for the install. about 10 days later, I treated them with varroa mite strips. I'm not feeding them June 11th I added a 2nd box. June 21st, I check the 2nd box and there were a ton of bees with pollen. All the frames were partially drawn bees all over the place but I didn't see any eggs or larvae. I did see frames with some honey and nectar and a few cells with orange caps of pollen cells? I didn't see any capped brood. I didn't look at the bottom box yet.

It's been 44 days since I installed the queen. They are bearding today and it's only 77 degrees. If you folks know me, I'm getting a little nervous about swarming already. I don't think they are back filling but what do I know? Most of the frames were drawn comb with patches of open nectar and closed honey. There are no capped brood on any of the frames in the 2nd box. Wouldn't there be capped brood or eggs in the 2nd box if they were back filling? I will fully inspect the hive on Wednesday but if the first box has full frames of brood, what should I be thinking? Those bees sure had alot of pollen. Pollen promotes brood raising right? Why isn't she laying in the 2nd box or am I not giving her time?

Art
Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Re: Here's the progress of my Package install June May 11, 2019
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 04:54:55 pm »
If you see queen cells on the bottom of frames then they are preparing to swarm. Look in the bottom box for the queen and eggs and larvae. If the queen isn't laying you may have to re-queen.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 10:25:25 pm »
Hello all,
I'm sure learning a lot my 7th year at this hobby. I started this year with one package bee install on May 11th. I guess here in Michigan, we go by the apple bloom, around May 6th. That's also our average time of the year for the start of swarm season. We had a cool Spring with a bunch of rain so I'm thinking it will delay that. I caught a swarm 30 feet from my hive on June 21st. So far, it's doing well, so I'm gunna say I have two hives now!

I think we have a good flow. I'm waiting for feedback from my Michigan friends to verify but I think we are still good. On May 11th, I started with one 8 frame box for the install. about 10 days later, I treated them with varroa mite strips. I'm not feeding them June 11th I added a 2nd box. June 21st, I check the 2nd box and there were a ton of bees with pollen. All the frames were partially drawn bees all over the place but I didn't see any eggs or larvae. I did see frames with some honey and nectar and a few cells with orange caps of pollen cells? I didn't see any capped brood. I didn't look at the bottom box yet.

It's been 44 days since I installed the queen. They are bearding today and it's only 77 degrees. If you folks know me, I'm getting a little nervous about swarming already. I don't think they are back filling but what do I know? Most of the frames were drawn comb with patches of open nectar and closed honey. There are no capped brood on any of the frames in the 2nd box. Wouldn't there be capped brood or eggs in the 2nd box if they were back filling? I will fully inspect the hive on Wednesday but if the first box has full frames of brood, what should I be thinking? Those bees sure had alot of pollen. Pollen promotes brood raising right? Why isn't she laying in the 2nd box or am I not giving her time?

Art

When I add a box to a new package I usually bring a frame or 2 of open brood from the lower box and put it directly above the brood nest in the top box. Is your brood nest in the center of your bottom box or shifted to one side? You need to no how your queen is laying. Yes, we are in a flow now but this cool damp weather has limited their foraging. Congrats on the swarm!

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 12:16:11 am »

When I add a box to a new package I usually bring a frame or 2 of open brood from the lower box and put it directly above the brood nest in the top box. Is your brood nest in the center of your bottom box or shifted to one side? You need to no how your queen is laying. Yes, we are in a flow now but this cool damp weather has limited their foraging. Congrats on the swarm!

Hey Bill,
Hope your bees are doing well. Our Michigan weather is just absolutely out of control! I'm going to open the hive up Wednesday and Ill let you know where the brood nest is. Never thought to look for that! Any of your hives looking to swarm yet? 

I am really proud of that swarm. She's still around! I'm going to make it through this Michigan winter yet!

Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 12:23:21 am »
>Why isn't she laying in the 2nd box or am I not giving her time?

Simple answer is she doesn't want to. :wink:  I have had queens lay in one box all summer long.

>I will fully inspect the hive on Wednesday but if the first box has full frames of brood, what should I be thinking?

I would be thinking that I have a good queen. :cheesy:  Ideally what you want to find is a honey band across the top of the frames in the top box with the brood nest below.  The brood nest may or may not extend into the second box.  billdean says you should still be in a flow so the top box may be all nectar/honey.  I would have a box ready to add just in case.  Pulling frames of brood into the next box will get them to extend the brood nest into that box.

The bearding could bees the bees just waiting for better flying weather.  We have had some rain just about every day for a couple of weeks.  I have a few hives that have bees just hanging out on the front porch.  Rain will wash away the nectar in some flowers so the bees may not have anything to do.

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 10:27:15 am »

Hey Bill,
Hope your bees are doing well. Our Michigan weather is just absolutely out of control! I'm going to open the hive up Wednesday and Ill let you know where the brood nest is. Never thought to look for that! Any of your hives looking to swarm yet? 

I am really proud of that swarm. She's still around! I'm going to make it through this Michigan winter yet!

Art

Just looking at the top of the frames will tell you were the brood nest is. Its were you see the most bees. If you have a 8 frame box and the bees are on 4 frames that will be your brood nest. It can be shifted to one side but if it is i usually shift it to the middle. I believe you run 8 frame medium equipment. If that is the case you will need at least 3 boxes of brood and stores to get through the winter. I usually have 4 boxes of brood and stores. Most of my hives are 5 to 7 boxes high right now. If you need any help let me know. I can come down and give you a hand. None of my hives are preparing to swarm yet.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 10:44:15 am »

Just looking at the top of the frames will tell you were the brood nest is. Its were you see the most bees. If you have a 8 frame box and the bees are on 4 frames that will be your brood nest. It can be shifted to one side but if it is i usually shift it to the middle. I believe you run 8 frame medium equipment. If that is the case you will need at least 3 boxes of brood and stores to get through the winter. I usually have 4 boxes of brood and stores. Most of my hives are 5 to 7 boxes high right now. If you need any help let me know. I can come down and give you a hand. None of my hives are preparing to swarm yet.

Looks like tonight will be a good night to check them. I do have 8 frame medium boxes. I have another medium box ready to go on tonight if I need it. I made 2 big 10 frame hives I have on stand by If I ever make it through the winter. I also made this really nice looking nuc that I don't know how to use and don't even know why  made it. That's very kind of you to offer to come by. I'll keep that in mind!  Sure is alot easier being up here full time. I'm such a kid because I'm so proud of that swarm. LOL!
Have a great day!
Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Here's the progress of my Package install June May 11, 2019
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 11:38:29 am »
Some thoughts.

Art, perhaps that swarm you caught nearby is actually the swarm from your primary hive which you are worried about. Meaning it has already happened.  If we assume that to be the scenario then give consideration to the following supportive information and suggestions.

You were not seeing brood in the second because the queen quit laying some time ago in her preparations to leave with the swarm. 

The hive is filling up with nectar-honey because when there is little brood to feed it is amazing how much they bring in and pack away!  Yield goes up immensely when there is not the brood feed demand.

You caught the swarm so the original package queen is now happily setup and buzzing along in the new second hive.

The original hive is in process of requeening itself with the replacement swarm cell queen(s).  There would be a virgin queen (perhaps more the one) in the hive currently asserting her reign by killing off all the others.  The bearding may be an indication that there is more than one VQ - possibly staging for multicast swarms.  If weather is poor that is good as chances are the VQs will escape the bees and will fight it out instead.  New Queen is also hardening her body and flight muscles to preparing herself for her mating flights June 25-30.

Given a swarm/requeening situation, the action to take is to not go digging in the hive at this time. It would be best to stay out and let nature take its course while the new queen gets established. My suggestion is only to add that third box, perhaps even a fourth, directly on top to give them space to put all that unused nectar so they can clear the nest area for their new queen to get to work when she is ready.

Summary:
- hive swarmed, you caught swarm.
- main hive is getting new queen mated
- main hive needs space to put excess until there is brood to feed

... add a super, probably best add two
... check into the brood nest for eggs after June 30, assuming you are having nice weather.  If poor flying weather, it may take longer.  There will be little to no large larvae or capped brood. As that time will be very soon after her mating and just getting started laying. You will see mainly eggs due to the brood break caused by the swarm and requeening.  Check on 3 to 5 day intervals until you are satisfied they are re-established and stable.
... have your backup plan, plan bee, ready. If no eggs/larvae by July 6, immediately order and install a new mated queen. Do not try giving brood to raise their own in this case.  As by that time they will be hopelessly queenless for awhile already and on verge of becoming a laying worker situation. They will need a mated queen immediately at that time.

Imho

Hope that helps!
THP
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 03:32:34 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 03:09:03 pm »
>Why isn't she laying in the 2nd box or am I not giving her time?

Simple answer is she doesn't want to. :wink:  I have had queens lay in one box all summer long.

CAO,
Ya know? I get that a lot!
They looked good this morning. I was proud! You know my history but I think I'm ok this year. The whole bottom box was almost full frames with capped brood. The 2nd one still mostly drawn frames with nectar and honey. I was hoping to have at least 3 brood boxes since I have a small medium 8 frame hive but they look healthy. They wanted to kick my butt as soon as I cracked the top as usual. I was surprised this time because it was early in the morning. I added another box so we will see. Still pretty good flow here. They are not bearding as much now. Most importantly, I didn't see any queen cells. Just a few burr comb. This hopes to be a swarmless year!

Thanks
Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 03:27:42 pm »
Some thoughts.

Art, perhaps that swarm you caught nearby is actually the swarm from your primary hive which you are worried about. Meaning it has already happened.  If we assume that to be the scenario then give consideration to the following supportive information and suggestions.

You know? I thought about that since this tree that I always see swarms is only 30 feet away. My hive is only 44 days old. Somebody told me first year package bees don't swarm. I proved them wrong there! I looked at my primary hive this morning. I couldn't find the queen but I think she's still there and laying. I didn't see any queen cells or backfilling and there were still a ton of bees. I'll check the swarm hive in a few days, so I hope not but time will tell!

Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Here's the progress of my Package install June May 11, 2019
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 05:05:37 pm »
Any hive can swarm, regardless of year/age.  The triggers are copious incoming resources and limited space.  -swarm season- , in my experience is regardless of the gregorian calendar.  Swarm season is anytime after the second brood cycle ( in midst of the 3rd especially ) plus existence of the said conditions.

Maybe you should put a hog bit on that trusty old black-n-decker drill and go hollow out a section the that tree.  Then we can call you Christopher or Pooh or get a balloon to pose as a little black rain cloud.  ;)

(Ref:  Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree)

It will all work out. You ll see.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 12:43:20 am »

(Ref:  Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree)

I've been told I look like Pooh Bear, sneaking up on my hive, so you are not too far off!  <wink!>
Check out my Blog!:

anything