Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive inspection  (Read 1218 times)

Offline olehunter

• New Bee
hive inspection
« on: June 23, 2019, 08:16:39 pm »
new bees in new hive . they moved in around the 25  of may. fed on the 29 and again on the 2 of june .4 days later checked on feed , second gal eaten? saw what I took to be stored syrup . took the feeder off. they have been very busy on the days when is hasn't rained !! in ne Kansas. has now been 22 days since I was last in the hive . should I check on their progress ? and what should I look for. eggs , emerging brood, stores? this a langstroth 10 frame with two supers. the deep has frames with wax starter strips the the first super has the same starter strips. the top super has full wax starter.                             ???????
to stand silent and be considered a fool or to speak and remove all doubt

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: hive inspection
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 10:33:14 pm »
Yes, look for. eggs , emerging brood, stores and amount of empty space. If more than 10 frames empty, remove a box. If less than 8 frames full, remove 2 boxes.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 02:00:55 am »
You should be checking a little more often. This is swarm season so inspections are important. In those 22 days your bees could've built swarm cells and left. Mine built some swarm cells that I didn't even see a few days earlier and had to do a emergency split. Just watch their space and add or subtract boxes if necessary.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 09:41:36 pm »
Xerox. Did your hive run out of room and get cramped, or did they swarm anyway?

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 01:13:01 am »
Xerox. Did your hive run out of room and get cramped, or did they swarm anyway?

It ran out of room even though it had a super. I did a split and that mitigated the swarm threat.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn