Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: These don?t look like my bees  (Read 3366 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
These don?t look like my bees
« on: June 20, 2019, 06:45:42 pm »
I?m going to send a link to my Twitter if pic doesn?t post
At the 12 second mark a big black bee flies in
I?m seeing them every 15-25 seconds
https://youtu.be/Oc7LZZgcq5s

https://mobile.twitter.com/jamesla39333155/status/1141819381120417812/photo/1
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline incognito

• House Bee
Re: These don?t look like my bees
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 07:00:27 pm »
I am neither a bee nor genetics expert.....but being that the queen mates with several drones, it would not be odd if half sisters took on different appearances within the species.

Tom

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 07:20:19 pm »
Those large black bees you are seeing are drones.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 07:28:36 pm »
Those large black bees you are seeing are drones.
Is the coloring always that different than the workers?
I have been watching my landing board for drones and I do not think I saw, or recognized, one yet. (New package).

I see the more rounded abdomen on the dark bee. I did not see a good view of its eyes.
Tom

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 08:29:54 pm »
Salty, stingless drones, male honeybees is what is in the pic.  The drones are welcome by any hive, privileged they are.  So drones drift from hive to hive. This Fall you will see workers dragging drones out of the hives.  The workers will kick the drones out so the male bees, drones, starve or freeze this Fall.

Just to be clear, drone honeybees do not have a stinger, harmless little guys.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 08:54:28 pm »
I think Ace recommended opening that plastic hive entrance , which I did and they use every inch of it.
Thinking this was robbing, I closed the entrance down-
Welp!! Back to opening!
That?s the hive that produced last weeks honey  so I thought foreigners were invading -
Thanks
I put swifters in here a month ago
Today I found something looking like insulation/ cotton in a ball filled with SHB laying outside the hive.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:48:51 pm by saltybluegrass »
It?s up to me

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 09:55:11 pm »
Salty.
As mentioned, they are drones and they may or may not bee from your queen. Nothing to worry about.
I do not recommend that you open up the hive any more that you have. I keep reducers on all of my hives to minimize robbing. I just pulled 3 supers from a 7 box hive that had 2 other boxes of honey that is did not pull. One was not capped and the other was old comb with some brood and a storm blew up and I had to close up the hive. This hive has a 2 inch by 3/8 inch open on the bottom and a small close level door in the screen top board.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 11:16:47 pm »
Jim,
That opening must get congested from time to time as a trade off to robbing?
Tom

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 11:38:06 pm »
Incognito,
Bees are very good at using a small entrance and keep the traffic coming and going. I have removed many feral hives that only have a small entrance and still have very large hives.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 12:17:34 am »
Can you show me a picture of the small close level door in the screen top board and explain if I need one?
It?s up to me

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 01:04:09 am »
Those are big ole drones.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 01:37:06 am »
Wait till you have about fifty of them hovering around the front of your hive.  They are noisy little bugs.  I like Jim use a reduced entrance on all my hives.  Most of mine are 3/8" x 3".  The only time that they really get congested is when they have a dozen or more bees fanning out  front blocking the entrance.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 11:29:53 am »
An after dinner drink, a lawn chair, and a dabber.  Now I wait for neighbouring backyard beekeepers freak-out stories to develop.  Heheheeeee.

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 12:08:45 pm »
An after dinner drink, a lawn chair, and a dabber.  Now I wait for neighbouring backyard beekeepers freak-out stories to develop.  Heheheeeee.

LOL. Thank goodness you are nowhere near me! You could have at least used a different color than green.

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch
Tom

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 12:21:40 pm »
HP, do you mark drones for age determination?  Are those your drones?
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
These don?t look like my bees
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 12:34:47 pm »
The colour is light blue.  The lighting of the camera makes it look off a bit.  One of the picts has the green queen in it.  ( I am aware of some people having colour challenges, meaning red-blue-green colour blindness of various degrees. Some locals too, hahahaaa. )
They are my drones.  In one of my Barracks hives.  I doubt that I marked even a 1/4 of them in there.  When the beer can was empty I stopped dabbing.  Which was not long.  It was hot. ;)
I marked them just in curiosity of how far they will go and spread. Relying on others nearby to tell me if they see them showing up in their hives.  Mainly to prove the point that drones drift, they go wherever. 
As example, the very next day I saw some of these in nucs and hives in my mating yard 1.5 miles away.

PS-Also.  As you can see in the bees, drones, and queen in the pictures - and as mentioned above.  With a well bred queen in a genetically diverse area, they do not all have the same colouring. This is a GOOD thing.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 01:01:01 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 12:40:25 pm »
That's really cool HP.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 02:08:47 pm »
The colour is light blue.  The lighting of the camera makes it look off a bit.  One of the picts has the green queen in it.  ( I am aware of some people having colour challenges, meaning red-blue-green colour blindness of various degrees. Some locals too, hahahaaa. )
On closer inspection I recognize that the color is different than the queen's. My mistake. Mea culpa.

I have no excuse for the color challenges - just had cataract surgery in both eyes, right eye last week, left eye on Tuesday. I am hoping it makes hive inspections easier.
Tom

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 02:40:14 pm »
I could do the same thing but nobody would notice. All the commercial hives are gone and none of my neighbors have hives now.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 01:27:57 am »
On closer inspection I recognize that the color is different than the queen's. My mistake. Mea culpa.

I have no excuse for the color challenges - just had cataract surgery in both eyes, right eye last week, left eye on Tuesday. I am hoping it makes hive inspections easier.

Just to be clear and A-OK, I want to say that my mention of colour challenges was in no way whatsoever directed your way!  I have quite a few close friends and a couple of beekeepers who have recently shared that they have problems with some colours.  I merely mentioned it because the best example was when I was in Bobs greenhouse recently and he asked if I would like some tomatoes.  I said yes, those nice red ones there would be great.  He said -which ones-.  .... they were the only two red tomatoes in the whole greenhouse, standing out blazing away.  All the others were still a light green.

Another ... a beekeeper said he just painted his queen so she would be easier to find.  I asked what colour, just as a matter of guiding to stay with the standard.  He said, did not know as he cannot tell much difference between yellow blue and green.

So ... yeah ... was not intending any point out or any offence.  I hope none was taken.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 01:47:51 am »
So ... yeah ... was not intending any point out or any offence.  I hope none was taken.
Gosh no! I was not at all offended by your post. I was hoping that you not offended by mine.

Either I focused on the one green dot in the picture, or somehow had green on my mind, I incorrectly razzed you for messing with your neighboring beekeepers heads for using a green marker on your drones.

Trolls spewing nonsense offends me much more. Usually there is a way to block those posts from appearing but I could not find how to do it this forum.

Tom
Tom

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 11:32:50 am »
Incognito,
To block a members posts, go to your profile, select modify profile and then select edit buddies/edit ignore list. Then use the search the box to find that member and select it.
Hope this helps.

Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 12:44:32 pm »
Incognito,
To block a members posts, go to your profile, select modify profile and then select edit buddies/edit ignore list. Then use the search the box to find that member and select it.
Hope this helps.
Jim Altmiller
Thanks. It works.

I thought I saw the feature when I first joined the board but then I could not locate it when I wanted to use it.
Other software gives those options when you click on the member's name. That what I was doing. This software has the buddy option but not the ignore option when you click on a member's name.
Tom