Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Black, hairless, dead bee in the hive  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Black, hairless, dead bee in the hive
« on: June 19, 2019, 08:04:40 am »
I found a house bee dragging out a dead sister a few days ago. She was hairless, and so was completely black. I researched it, and came up with Chronic Bee Paralysis, an incurable virus that is usually not a big problem, and is solved by killing the queen and letting new genetics take over. Has anyone else seen this and did you have to take action?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Black, hairless, dead bee in the hive
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 11:36:18 am »
Unless the queen is laying a lot of brood that?s got the virus I would do nothing.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 02:12:39 pm »
The dead bee could just be bald from being dragged out of the hive.  Maybe her body was stuck somewhere and in the process of removing her the other bees scraped her hair off, or something like that.  As Michael Bush said, a single solitary hairless bee is probably not cause for concern. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 02:21:50 pm »
Remember, that is just one bee among 10 to 50,000 bees in your hive. It is like your body having a virus or bacteria in a few cells and your body removed them with your T cells or white cells.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 02:22:04 pm »
Mr. Bob, Chronic Bee Paralysis has an identifying factor: glossy, waxed, hairless almost polished appearance.

The virus was discovered, characterized in Israel.  That basically all I really know. 

Note the glossy shiny appearance.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:32:08 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 06:21:12 pm »
The one I found looked like this. But I understand that this is just one out of tens of 1000s. So I will follow advice, do nothing but keep an eye out as I go. It was just such a startling thing to see them hauling a jet black carcass around the hive. I wondered if a foreign bee had invaded and they had killed it. Thanks.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 07:41:06 pm »
Bobil,
That is very possible and quite likely.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 02:16:00 am »
You might want to go back to the following topic which will be well worth your while and educational on the different views of the black bee; as titled;

What's this?
 November 01, 2018
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 06:09:35 am »
Ben framed. It took me a while to figure out the search feature, but I found the thread. Very interesting, since there was no greasy, sick look to the bee I saw. Two very smart men sharing experience, and some good things to think about when I open the hive. As you know, we newbees have a hard time figuring out to what we need to be paying attention during inspection. We are on information overload everytime we go in the hive. Thanks for the link.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 12:25:20 pm »
.... As you know, we newbees have a hard time figuring out to what we need to be paying attention during inspection. We are on information overload everytime we go in the hive. ...

Thats the truth!

That's why I'm so thankful for this place - good people from all aspects of beekeeping, willing to kindly and patiently lend us beginners a helping hand - "Thank You" to all of you!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 12:35:02 pm »
Ben framed. It took me a while to figure out the search feature, but I found the thread. Very interesting, since there was no greasy, sick look to the bee I saw. Two very smart men sharing experience, and some good things to think about when I open the hive. As you know, we newbees have a hard time figuring out to what we need to be paying attention during inspection. We are on information overload everytime we go in the hive. Thanks for the link.
.... As you know, we newbees have a hard time figuring out to what we need to be paying attention during inspection. We are on information overload everytime we go in the hive. ...

Thats the truth!

That's why I'm so thankful for this place - good people from all aspects of beekeeping, willing to kindly and patiently lend us beginners a helping hand - "Thank You" to all of you!

I am glad you found it bobll. Very good information there with different points of view, with one goal, to help the bee and the beekeeper,

I will second that Alan. Yes, this is the place to learn!!
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 06:57:27 am »
There are references to shiny black bees and shiny black bees dying dating back at least to Huber in the late 1700s.  Varroa has made the spread of it more "efficient".  Turns out there are many different viruses with this outcome and one of those is the Israeli acute paralysis virus but others are the Kashmir virus, black queen virus etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 12:11:37 am »
Michael. That's what I like about you. You are always reminding the beekeeping community that our issues and experiences are not unknown and unsolvable. The guys back in earlier centuries dealt with many of the same issues. Thanks.